Apple G5 Upgrade?

I am not sure if it is a LTT sin to post about Apple products, but I have a friend who wants to move from an older iMac to his Apple G5 2.3 Dual core specifically for video editing and some 3D art stuff. He also already has 4gb DDR2 533mhz.

My question is that, with these specs and the intended use, would this system be good for editing if I added 4gb more of ram and a GTX 660 or 760? 

This system is going to be used every day with Premier pro CS3 and After Effects and some Photoshop. And the goal is going to be low cost and max performance.

Thanks for the help.

Crosair C70 - i7 4700 - Corsair H100 - Gigabyte Z68 - 16gb HyperX RAM - GTX 780 CLASSIFIED - and An Optical drive

Why not sell the RAM and buy a better computer? DDR2 is pretty rare these days

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

Why not sell the RAM and buy a better computer? DDR2 is pretty rare these days

What about SDRAM and older?

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

What about SDRAM and older?

Don't know about that. Maybe?

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

If you have the money to add ram and a 760, I'd suggest saving a bit more for a new cpu/mobo upgrade as well. The dual core is holding the system back and it really isn't worth staying with it.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

A G5?! For video editing?! What are you smoking and where can I get some???

Seriously, I've used a 1st Gen Mac Pro (2006) with 11gb RAM and a mediocre GFX card and it is painful if you do anything with 1080p. Granted not sure how it will preform with high end GFX, but dat processor. Just scrap the whole thing and get like a 2011 i7 iMac and you'll be blazing quick.

If you put that much into the older hardware, in two years its going to really be garbage. The average life cycle of a mac in professional environment is six years. So a 2011 will still give four or five more years before the next upgrade... Also the quicker machine means you can push out projects quicker, yielding more profit anyway. That is if this is a business machine anyway.

Bottom line from me, get something much much better. Don't even bother.

Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming || AMD Ryzen R5 3600 || Cooler Master Hyper 212+ || 16GB G. Skill RAM 3133Mhz (OC) || Samsung 850 || Seagate 500GB &1TB HDD || EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 FTW || Cooler Master 500w power supply || Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed - Blackout Edition

24" Dell S2340M + Apple Cinema Display || Corsair K65 RGB || Logitech G602

UPDATE: I just recieved word that it has 2 dual core 2.3ghz, does that change anything.

Crosair C70 - i7 4700 - Corsair H100 - Gigabyte Z68 - 16gb HyperX RAM - GTX 780 CLASSIFIED - and An Optical drive

UPDATE: I just recieved word that it has 2 dual core 2.3ghz, does that change anything.

I will say the thing everybody said. Shithole for gaming, not to mention even more intensive editing. Get a Mac/PC with i7 if you plan to do any editing.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Not all cores are the same and you can't just compare clock speeds unless everything else is the same. Either way, you're going to want at the very least a modern quad core for editng.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I've used a Powermac G5 before too. Only thing I would use it for is a simple workstation computer and that even has issues.

At risk of being so negative; the power consumption is ridiculous and it is a Power PC architecture. I can not even run Firefox... Most modern Mac apps are intel only these days, and Leopard (10.5) is only getting older.

Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming || AMD Ryzen R5 3600 || Cooler Master Hyper 212+ || 16GB G. Skill RAM 3133Mhz (OC) || Samsung 850 || Seagate 500GB &1TB HDD || EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 FTW || Cooler Master 500w power supply || Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed - Blackout Edition

24" Dell S2340M + Apple Cinema Display || Corsair K65 RGB || Logitech G602

• 5 months later...

I am not sure if it is a LTT sin to post about Apple products, but I have a friend who wants to move from an older iMac to his Apple G5 2.3 Dual core specifically for video editing and some 3D art stuff. He also already has 4gb DDR2 533mhz.

My question is that, with these specs and the intended use, would this system be good for editing if I added 4gb more of ram and a GTX 660 or 760? 

This system is going to be used every day with Premier pro CS3 and After Effects and some Photoshop. And the goal is going to be low cost and max performance.

Thanks for the help.

you fastest gpu you can get for a g5 is the 6800 ultra