How to transfer just my OS from my HDD to my SSD

★ Coups ★
Just now, ★ Coups ★ said:

When you boot from USB to reinstall, does it let you decide what storage you want it to save to, or is it a hit or miss? 

If you choose the custom install it lets you decide everything from setting up partitions to formatting the drive right then and there. 

Just now, W-L said:

If you choose the custom install it lets you decide everything from setting up partitions to formatting the drive right then and there. 

However if you don't you have no choice as to what storage device windows saves to? 

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

3 minutes ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

However if you don't you have no choice as to what storage device windows saves to? 

From there it lets you choose where windows will install. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

From there it lets you choose where windows will install. 

And that is custom or normal? 

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

2 minutes ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

And that is custom or normal? 

Both options should still prompt you where to install Windows. 

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

Alright I'll give it a go. Cheers. 

7 minutes ago, W-L said:

Alright, I've gone into bios boot menu and I see this. Which one do I select? I have my USB in the front USB slot

1474755099568599295582.jpg

Alright, I've gone into bios boot menu and I see this. Which one do I select? I have my USB in the front USB slot

Seems redundant to have two, but what you have hovering your mouse over should work. 

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

Seems redundant to have two, but what you have hovering your mouse over should work. 

I've selected that but now I've got to this.... What now? That is my SSD by the way

14747555512491821669580.jpg

17 minutes ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

I've selected that but now I've got to this.... What now? That is my SSD by the way

Delete all the partitions and format it to see if that clears it up. Most likely you will need to covert to GPT, which can be done via command prompt using diskpart. 

http://www.disk-partition.com/gpt-mbr/convert-mbr-to-gpt-without-data-loss.html

Use a program called EaseUS Tudo Backup free and you can copy your whole OS to the SSD. When it is done, restart PC and boot into SSD instead because then it won't boot into HDD instead. Once booted into windows, you can then delete your OS on your HDD. Good luck, I will be doing this soon since I have just ordered an SSD too.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Just now, Brennan_Price said:

Use a program called EaseUS Tudo Backup free and you can copy your whole OS to the SSD. When it is done, restart PC and boot into SSD instead because then it won't boot into HDD instead. Once booted into windows, you can then delete your OS on your HDD. Good luck, I will be doing this soon since I have just ordered an SSD too.

I'm told that you cannot copy JUST your OS. You must copy everything

I'm told that you cannot copy JUST your OS. You must copy everything

Sorry, It is not just simply copying it. You can click on a button called 'Clone' and it will clone your entire HDD with all the hidden files and everything extra. It works, There are videos and instructions on how to do it here...

http://www.itpro.co.uk/operating-systems/26152/how-to-move-windows-os-from-your-old-hard-drive-to-ssd

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

8 minutes ago, W-L said:

Delete all the partitions and format it to see if that clears it up. Most likely you will need to covert to GPT, which can be done via command prompt using diskpart. 

http://www.disk-partition.com/gpt-mbr/convert-mbr-to-gpt-without-data-loss.html

I can't figure out how to do that. I don't see an option to do it. ;,( 

5 minutes ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

I can't figure out how to do that. I don't see an option to do it. ;,( 

shift+F10 should bring up CMD, if you can't get it you can go back to the windows install page and click the repair your computer option which should also let you bring up CMD. 

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

shift+F10 should bring up CMD, if you can't get it you can go back to the windows install page and click the repair your computer option which should also let you bring up CMD. 

Yeah. O followed a video on YouTube and so far so good. I'll let you know on the progress. Thanks dude. I literally love you. 

I may need help transferring things after this because I have to format my HDD =) 

14747579751611830981593.jpg

11 minutes ago, W-L said:

Alright that's sorted. Now I need to Set my default boot drive. What do I select. I have attatchd images below

1474758489442-861914413.jpg

1474758507039-1420221133.jpg

1474758518952441230776.jpg

1474758529887-731954307.jpg

3 minutes ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

Alright that's sorted. Now I need to Set my default boot drive. What do I select. I have attatchd images below

Yep that all looks good to me, after it should boot into the SSD with the fresh copy of windows. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Yep that all looks good to me, after it should boot into the SSD with the fresh copy of windows. 

So far so good. After this do I just transfer the things that I don't want to redownload go my SSD, then format the HDD?

1474758920748-1663624496.jpg

So far so good. After this do I just transfer the things that I don't want to redownload go my SSD, then format the HDD?

Yes, you can directly drag and drop important files from your HDD over to the SSD and reinstall programs, it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a backup of any crucial files you have before reformatting just in case you forget something.

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Yes, you can directly drag and drop important files from your HDD over to the SSD and reinstall programs, it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a backup of any crucial files you have before reformatting just in case you forget something.

Cheers. I don't have access to the internet at the moment because my wireless WiFi drivers are on my other hard drive but none of the stuff on that is loading. How would I move that over?

Cheers. I don't have access to the internet at the moment because my wireless WiFi drivers are on my other hard drive but none of the stuff on that is loading. How would I move that over?

You would need to install them as a clean install, you can download the drivers on another system or elsewhere an transfer it via the USB or use the driver disk just to get internet connection to complete the rest. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

You would need to install them as a clean install, you can download the drivers on another system or elsewhere an transfer it via the USB or use the driver disk just to get internet connection to complete the rest. 

Alright I have internet. However I also have some stuff I don't really understand. For example, what is system Reserved? I see nothing in it. 

1474759656115-704518541.jpg

Alright I have internet. However I also have some stuff I don't really understand. For example, what is system Reserved? I see nothing in it. 

Usually that doesn't show up unless you look into disk management but it's for your boot files and such so it's best to not play around in it, you can hide it from the drive list by un-assigning it's drive letter in disk management. You should be good to go then after all the drivers are updated and programs are re-installed. 

Just now, W-L said:

Usually that doesn't show up unless you look into disk management but it's for your boot files and such so it's best to not play around in it, you can hide it from the drive list by un-assigning it's drive letter in disk management. You should be good to go then after all the drivers are updated and programs are re-installed. 

Thanks. Is it possible to still use the apps and stuff on my Hard Drive without reinstalling it? For example I had Samsung Magician software on it, but i cant use it now because its not on my SSD.