How to transfer just my OS from my HDD to my SSD

★ Coups ★

Hey, guys, It's Nichole. 

I was wondering how I transfer my operating system from my HDD to my SSD. I don't want to clone everything from my HDD as I only want things I use regularly. 

I just see how to clone everything, but my SSD is 500GB not 1tb, therefore I just want specific things like my OS and most common apps and games. How can I do this? Thanks! 

I have a 1TB Hard drive and 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD. 

(My SSD comes today, Saturday)

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

6 minutes ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

Hey, guys, It's Nichole. 

I was wondering how I transfer my operating system from my HDD to my SSD. I don't want to clone everything from my HDD as I only want things I use regularly. 

I just see how to clone everything, but my SSD is 500GB not 1tb, therefore I just want specific things like my OS and most common apps and games. How can I do this? Thanks! 

I have a 1TB Hard drive and 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD. 

(My SSD comes today, Saturday)

If your using Samsung's Migration software it lets you choose what files to transfer. 

Just now, W-L said:

If your using Samsung's Migration software it lets you choose what files to transfer. 

Does that come in the packaging? (The disk) 

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

1 minute ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

Yes.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Just now, ★ Coups ★ said:

it's a downloadable piece of software off their site, you just plug everything in the system and should let you decide what you want. 

Just now, bgibbz said:

Yes.

I do not have a disk reader, where would it be online? I always have trouble finding Drivers. Is it on the official website or something? 

I do not have a disk reader, where would it be online? I always have trouble finding Drivers. Is it on the official website or something? 

All files can be found under the download tab right here -

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/850evo.html

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

3 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

All files can be found under the download tab right here -

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/850evo.html

It is the Magician Software? Thanks :) 

4 minutes ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

It is the Magician Software? Thanks :) 

It's the Migration software for cloning the HDD, the Magician one is for drive management including the options to enable Rapide Mode and drive optimizations. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

It's the Migration software for cloning the HDD, the Magician one is for drive management including the options to enable Rapide Mode and drive optimizations. 

Ah. So that's all I need? 

Also, once my OS is transferred, do I set it as default in BIOS or does it automatically do it? :)

Ah. So that's all I need? 

Also, once my OS is transferred, do I set it as default in BIOS or does it automatically do it? :)

Yes, and you will want to setup the SSD as the new boot drive, once your sure everything you need is transferred over you can format the HDD to clear it out for extra storage. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Yes, and you will want to setup the SSD as the new boot drive, once your sure everything you need is transferred over you can format the HDD to clear it out for extra storage. 

I want to clean it of all its junk but I don't want to start again as a new drive as it has a lot of games that would take a long time to redownload. 

Hey guys, Johnny here.

I was wondering how I transfer just my OS to my Samsung 850 Evo SSD from my HDD. 

I have the Samsung Migration tool and magician software, but I don't understand what I must do. It's a 1TB hard drive and a 500GB SSD. Therefore I have no clue how to just transfer my OS, and if it's even possible. 

Just do a fresh install, then copy your files from the hard drive.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

you can't just transfer you os, you have to transfer everything.

Use a program like macrum reflect to do this.

How can I transfer everything if my HDD is 1TB and my SSD is 500GB? 

This is quite easy with a Linux live cd:

1. Install both hard drives in the same computer with separate SATA ports
  2. Make sure at least 500GB of space, preferably a bit more, are free on the HDD (in Windows)
  3. Boot into the Linux live CD
  4. Use GParted to resize your Windows partition to 500GB. You may see multiple partitions, make sure that they total to less than 500GB.
  5. Use the dd command as described here to clone the HDD to the SSD

WARNING: Changing partitions and using the dd command can be dangerous and wipe all data if done incorrectly. It is highly recommended that you backup all data on a separate storage medium not connected to your computer before performing this operation. I am not responsible for any data loss.

3 minutes ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

How can I transfer everything if my HDD is 1TB and my SSD is 500GB? 

It depends how much data you have but if it's the 500GB you can do a direct migration, however for stuff like steam games it wouldn't be a bad idea to just leave it on the HDD and launch from there since there isn't any gain having it on the SSD other than loading times. 

Just now, W-L said:

It depends how much data you have but if it's the 500GB you can do a direct migration, however for stuff like steam games it wouldn't be a bad idea to just leave it on the HDD and launch from there since there isn't any gain having it on the SSD other than loading times. 

All I want at the moment is my OS onto the SSD, but I'm getting told that I have to transfer everything

3 minutes ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

All I want at the moment is my OS onto the SSD, but I'm getting told that I have to transfer everything

Should have an option for selecting what files you want:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/M2M/html/whitepaper/whitepaper11.html

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yeah and I only want my OS files. Where do I transfer that, or should i Just use the Windows creation kit thing? 

5 minutes ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

Yeah and I only want my OS files. Where do I transfer that, or should i Just use the Windows creation kit thing? 

How large is your data going from your HDD to SSD?

If it's <500GB the software may just automatically detect it as being less and allow for a full complete clone, afterwards you can delete and remove things as needed.

1. Install Samsung Migration software

2. Update to the latest version

3. Turn off computer

4. Plug in SSD as a 2nd drive

5. Turn on computer and boot into windows

6. Launch Samsung Migration software

7. Select source drive

8. Select destination drive

9. Start transfer

10. When complete, swap the SATA connectors between HDD and SSD, but do not connect HDD yet

11. Turn on computer and boot into Windows

12. All good, then turn off computer

13. Plug in HDD

14. Turn on computer and your SSD should be OS and HDD as Storage

Cannot see SSD in Samsung Migration software? Initialize the SSD first in disk management. Then relaunch the Magician software.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

45 minutes ago, W-L said:

How large is your data going from your HDD to SSD?

If it's <500GB the software may just automatically detect it as being less and allow for a full complete clone, afterwards you can delete and remove things as needed.

My HDD has 1TB of data, my SSD is 500GB of storage. 

There's more data on my HDD than my SSD. I'm a bit confused. 

44 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

1. Install Samsung Migration software

2. Update to the latest version

3. Turn off computer

4. Plug in SSD as a 2nd drive

5. Turn on computer and boot into windows

6. Launch Samsung Migration software

7. Select source drive

8. Select destination drive

9. Start transfer

10. When complete, swap the SATA connectors between HDD and SSD, but do not connect HDD yet

11. Turn on computer and boot into Windows

12. All good, then turn off computer

13. Plug in HDD

14. Turn on computer and your SSD should be OS and HDD as Storage

Cannot see SSD in Samsung Migration software? Initialize the SSD first in disk management. Then relaunch the Magician software.

The problem is that I can't transfer data because my SSD is too small. So it won't work and I'm confused. It's all working and the drive is there, I just want to transfer my OS