Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tigercub72

Camera Help

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi there

Im looking for a DSLR to take super close up shots of Jem stones and was wondering what would be a good option for around $800. I have been online but have failed to find any usful information. I already have a macro lens which is a canon so if it could be a canon that would be great.

Thanks

Honestly, it doesn't matter at all. Basically just get any canon body and it'll be fine.

You'll be shooting at low ISOs and stacking frames with software one way or another while focusing by moving the entire body, not via AF.

As long as it has live view, you can select aperature/shutter speed and a shutter button. It's a good camera for macro.

Well actually, it is a little important what body you're buying due to the lenses that you'll be able to use with it. For close up high quality images of jem stones, you'll want to get a macro lens. The 60 2.8 is perfect for this kind of work. You can get crazy close to your subjects, it has superior depth and sharpness, and is it in your price range. You can pick one up used for around three hundred on ebay. Just be careful that the rear element has no scratches or blemishes on it and the lens in is in proper minty condition when buying used. 

For this lens you have to get an F mount camera, which is normally a Nikon (though there are some Fuji's that do it to). Just get yourself something like a d7000 used for around four hundred and you'll be all set to go. 

I work as a contractor for everything from photo/video to broadcast and networking. 

I use an old HP Laptop forked up on top of a photography textbook. 

Right now this is what I use: Fuji X100T, Fuji X100, Fuji X-E1, XF 18 f2, XF 35 1.4, Nikon d7000, Nikkor 180 2,8 AFIS, Nikkor 60 1.8.

I've got more crap laying around for other jobs and hobbies, though a lot of that isn't applicable to the interests of this forum, so I'll keep myself back from adding it all to the list. 

John apparently didn't read your entire post. If you have a macro lens already, depending on how old it is, any T series Canon will work. Such as the T5 or T5i. You'll probably want to get a ring flash, as they are the least expensive way to light macro shoots.

Do you have any additional information on which Macro lens you have in your possession?

7 hours ago, Tigercub72 said:

Hi there

Im looking for a DSLR to take super close up shots of Jem stones and was wondering what would be a good option for around $800. I have been online but have failed to find any usful information. I already have a macro lens which is a canon so if it could be a canon that would be great.

Thanks

Which specific Canon macro lens do you already own, if you have an older FD mount lens you need an adapter to use it with modern Canon DSLRs?

If you already have a Canon lens, the simplest thing would be for you to buy a Canon body.  You don't necessarily need to spend $800.  You can get yourself a SL1 body for $400 and use your lens.  Here are a list of some Canon cameras you can buy.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2|0&ci=6222&setNs=p_PRICE_2|0&N=4288586280+4291570227&srtclk=sort

Are you taking photos of Jem?

jem-and-the-holograms.jpg?w=640&h=480&cr

or gems?

Gemstone-Healing-and-Gem-Therapy-in-Hind

2 hours ago, Evanair said:

John apparently didn't read your entire post.

Obviously.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer