I need a space heater at work. Will an 8800gts work?

Go to solution Solved by Whaler_99,

8800 series are no longer supported.

1 minute ago, mok said:

gtx 480 
guaranteed 90c +

GTX 480 should definitely do when it comes to heating up a room.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I think they get pretty hot

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

i have a 8800GT, its not going over 60C with the most ineficient passive heatsink i have ever seen in my life lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Gt and gts were different cards.

yah but its the step down card so it shouldent be too far of i would think

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

7 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

They do, but could they complete F@H tasks in time?

from old forum entries its seems you get about 1k ppd. so its not worth it in terms of points but it should heat up the gpu either way.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yah but its the step down card so it shouldent be too far of i would think

Now that I check, they are pretty similar.

Mine is the gts 512 with a 135w tdp

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Now that I check, they are pretty similar.

Mine is the gts 512 with a 135w tdp

i have litteraly no idea what mine is seeing as someone did a DIY cooler on it basically but im pretty sure its a 512mb card atleast

Builds:

Spoiler

i used an 8800GT and they get pretty hot quickly... 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

2 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

i used an 8800GT and they get pretty hot quickly... 

mine is really cool tho, never experienced over 60C on a really shitty passive cooler the previus owner slapped on there

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

mine is really cool tho, never experienced over 60C on a really shitty passive cooler the previus owner slapped on there

lol nah try the ones with the reference coolers. they are loud and run at 80c 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

2 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

lol nah try the ones with the reference coolers. they are loud and run at 80c 

maybe mine is magical? lol because when i tested it in the LAN PC before i strapped a fan to it it never went above 60C lol

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

maybe mine is magical? lol because when i tested it in the LAN PC before i strapped a fan to it it never went above 60C lol

i tested with just using the reference cooler and with no additional fans strapped onto it. 

Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

i tested with just using the reference cooler and with no additional fans strapped onto it. 

huh maybe mine is magical or yours is full of dust and a bad card? or both lol

Builds:

Spoiler

8800 series are no longer supported.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99