Folding@Home - Unable to fold unless connected via VPN

Hey guys,

so I've been happily folding over the past few months, but recently I have been unable to download assignments.

The very weird thing, is that whenever I connect via a VPN, I am able to get an assignment and start folding again.

But it does not work when NOT connect via VPN.

I have rebooted my router already, but this blows my mind. Especially since nothing has changed compared to the past 2 months, back when it worked fine.

Any of you guys have an idea?

Thanks!

The following might be a stupid question, but it's relevant nonetheless: You mentioned you tried rebooting the router, but have you tried rebooting your computer?

2 minutes ago, Tosa said:

The following might be a stupid question, but it's relevant nonetheless: You mentioned you tried rebooting the router, but have you tried rebooting your computer?

I have, over the past couple of days - I am at the stage now where I have acquired the new WU (by connecting via VPN), and now I am currently folding it, while no longer connected to the VPN.

My concern is, when the WU is finished, I am pretty sure it will not be able to get the next assignment :/ - I will once again have to connect via VPN...

Is it possible that fah is configured to use a proxy that's only reachable through the VPN?

Just now, Tosa said:

Is it possible that fah is configured to use a proxy that's only reachable through the VPN?

That's another good point - but I have not enabled proxy configuration. This is definitely something to do with reaching the FAH servers from my end, but I can't figure out why!

Could you try pasting the log maybe?

From a failed attempt at getting a wu

without a vpn. 

In cmd (or terminal if you're using Linux/mac), enter "nslookup fah-web.stanford.edu" and compare the output with the command "nslookup fah-web.stanford.edu 8.8.8.8" 

1 minute ago, tobben said:

without a vpn. 

I probably have to wait a couple of hours until I can try to get a new WU, but if this help, here is the error message I got 

ERROR:WU00:FS01:Exception: Could not get an assignment

On another note, at times, the client would not recognize my GPU, which at times was solved by deleting the GPUs.txt file and letting FAH recreate one.

2 minutes ago, Tosa said:

In cmd (or terminal if you're using Linux/mac), enter "nslookup fah-web.stanford.edu" and compare the output with the command "nslookup fah-web.stanford.edu 8.8.8.8" 

C:\Users\Louis>nslookup fah-web.stanford.edu
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  192.168.1.254

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    vspg6-vz14.stanford.edu
Address:  171.64.65.142
Aliases:  fah-web.stanford.edu

C:\Users\Louis>nslookup fah-web.stanford.edu 8.8.8.8
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    vspg6-vz14.stanford.edu
Address:  171.64.65.142
Aliases:  fah-web.stanford.edu

does that tell you something good ? :)

5 minutes ago, Loohi said:

does that tell you something good ? :)

Yeah. Kind of. You just asked both your default DNS server and Google's DNS server about the IP of fah-web.stanford.edu: They gave us the same IP, thus the DNS isn't the problem. Other than reinstalling fah, I'm out of ideas. I'll let you know if I can think of something to check, unless you've already solved it by then.

Just now, Tosa said:

Yeah. Kind of. You just asked both your default DNS server and Google's DNS server about the IP of fah-web.stanford.edu: They gave us the same IP, thus the DNS isn't the problem. Other than reinstalling fah, I'm out of ideas. I'll let you know if I can think of something to check, unless you've already solved it by then.

appreciate the ideas - I have reinstalled FAH a few times already, hoping this is maybe an ISP issue? I will post an update in a couple of hours to see if I managed to download the next assignment! thanks for your help!

Just now, Tosa said:

Actually, have you checked if there's a firewall blocking fah?

upon reinstalling FAH, windows firewall popped up and I selected to allow traffic to FAH, so should be ok I think

6 hours ago, tobben said:

without a vpn. 

so here it is again 

17:48:15:WU01:FS01:Connecting to 171.67.108.45:80
17:48:15:WARNING:WU01:FS01:Failed to get assignment from '171.67.108.45:80': 10001: Server responded: HTTP_BAD_REQUEST

interestingly, there was no problem uploading my results from my completed WU

17:46:47:WU00:FS01:Sending unit results: id:00 state:SEND error:NO_ERROR project:9195 run:0 clone:58 gen:38 core:0x21 unit:0x00000028ab40415c57cb2eb44e4cd46c
17:46:47:WU00:FS01:Uploading 4.65MiB to 171.64.65.92
17:46:47:WU00:FS01:Connecting to 171.64.65.92:8080
17:47:03:WU00:FS01:Upload complete
17:47:03:WU00:FS01:Server responded WORK_ACK (400)
17:47:03:WU00:FS01:Final credit estimate, 30785.00 points
17:47:03:WU00:FS01:Cleaning up

You uploaded your WU to a different serve than what you are downloading from.

If DNS works, like it shows above, and nothing has changed locally, then it has to be your ISP. If on a VPN it works fine, which pretty much bypasses any blocking your ISP is doing, then it's something the ISP is doing when not on one. 

I assume this is for a GPU WU? Which card do you have? Is it OC'ed at all?

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

6 minutes ago, Whaler_99 said:

You uploaded your WU to a different serve than what you are downloading from.

If DNS works, like it shows above, and nothing has changed locally, then it has to be your ISP. If on a VPN it works fine, which pretty much bypasses any blocking your ISP is doing, then it's something the ISP is doing when not on one. 

I assume this is for a GPU WU? Which card do you have? Is it OC'ed at all?

Yes, this is with a GPU, running GTX 970, Overclocked a little. But it has always been, including over the past couple months when I had no issues.

I just noticed, that server isn't even listed on the status page for some reason. You said you have uninstalled before. Do you also select the option to delete Work Units, then reboot before you re-install? Not sure why it is trying to go to that server. You might also want to reboot your router.

BTW - what DNS server is your computer using? If it is using you local router, what DNS is it using? The ISP DNS? Maybe try changing DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and see if that helps.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I had this issue a while ago when I changed isp. I called the  isp a number of times but they couldn't help. All they could suggest is that my ip had been blocked from the stanford servers. I asked the guys on the official folding forum and they said that was highly unlikely. In the end I changed isp and now it works fine 

It doesn't sound like you changed isp though,  did you?