Look at the camera!

d3sl91

Pretty self explanitory.

Is it normal for groups to not look at the camera consistently, even when asked? Does it vary greatly? Do you check shots in-camera before moving on to another scene, and how do you kindly tell people that we need to take the same pose/image again because someone wasn't looking?

My wife and I have been booking some shoots and I've noticed that a VERY small % of my shots has everyone actually looking at me. It's fine, but sometimes its so close to being "well, that entire setting was worthless".

Pic for attention, not so much example as the relaxed look is purposeful.

29248745753_34103a53a1_c.jpg
JP by Ethan Gollehon, on Flickr

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Didn't open the link but the one you posted actually looks good, it's not formal or anything.

1 hour ago, d3sl91 said:

Is it normal for groups to not look at the camera consistently, even when asked? Does it vary greatly? Do you check shots in-camera before moving on to another scene, and how do you kindly tell people that we need to take the same pose/image again because someone wasn't looking?

My wife and I have been booking some shoots and I've noticed that a VERY small % of my shots has everyone actually looking at me. It's fine, but sometimes its so close to being "well, that entire setting was worthless".

You want them to be looking at the camera when you take the photo or not?

If you do, you have to call their attention just before you take the photo and make sure they are looking.  But even then there's always those 1-2 odd people out there talking to each other that they don't hear the instructions.  The larger the group, the harder it is to get every single one of them to pay attention that sometimes I feel like shoving a handheld loudspeaker right next to their ears and screaming the instructions at them.  Sometimes you just have to be patient and tell them "OK, someone was looking away".  The worse ones are those who are short in height, for some reason I don't know, want to stand in the back of the group instead of standing in front.

As for checking the shots and moving on to another shot, only do it if you feel confident that you've managed to captured the shot. Otherwise keep shooting a few more times.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer