Trump: Internet control belongs to US. Period

captain_to_fire
3 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

prime minister* and he actually helps the middle class, not the one percent, my tax has been cut by a couple percent and i get more benefits now

So, basically he's good, because he benefited you specifically and screw the other guy. And people wonder why the west is failing.

Just now, DeadEyePsycho said:

Probably because he is one of the most disliked presidential nominees in the history of the US. It's actually a very close tie between him and Clinton as to who has the higher disapproval rating. Besides he himself has called for Internet censorship https://www.uspolitics.news/2015/12/08/news/2016-elections/donald-trump-wants-to-censor-the-internet/1541

I've always held the opinion to cut the lines in to any terrorist affected countries in the ME, cut them off from the internet entirely until secular control is re-established regionally.  As for censorship--I can't see any issues with shutting down any pro-Islamist websites.  Closing up the net to me, is the first idea in fruition - cut those countries off from it entirely, and as consequence(preferably) do the same to all the richest Middle-Eastern nations so they're forced to actually help clean up the mess in their backyard that both they, the U.S. and Israeli interventionary wars caused.

Just now, shdowhunt60 said:

And I don't trust a government which elected a substitute drama teacher as president, and was partly responsible for making "current year" a meme.

While your statement has literally nothing to do with the conversation at hand, that's fine. You don't have to trust him. Especially since he's not getting control over the IANA either.

But I'd rather have a substitute drama teacher as Prime Minister *cough*, I'd rather have him as my leader than an asshat businessman who has bankrupted his own company (like 3 times), and intends to run a country like a ruthless business.

Seriously, you say he's a substitute drama teacher as if that's a bad thing. FYI, while we're going here, he was also a permanent teacher of French and Mathematics, as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Trudeau#University_and_early_career

He has multiple degrees, including in Arts, and Education, and he studied Engineering, and Environmental Geography too.

He's well educated. Not that this has any bearing on how successful a leader you will be.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

While your statement has literally nothing to do with the conversation at hand, that's fine. You don't have to trust him. Especially since he's not getting control over the IANA either.

But I'd rather have a substitute drama teacher as Prime Minister *cough*, I'd rather have him as my leader than an asshat businessman who has bankrupted his own company (like 3 times), and intends to run a country like a ruthless business.

Seriously, you say he's a substitute drama teacher as if that's a bad thing. FYI, while we're going here, he was also a permanent teacher of French and Mathematics, as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Trudeau#University_and_early_career

He has multiple degrees, including in Arts, and Education, and he studied Engineering, and Environmental Geography too.

He's well educated. Not that this has any bearing on how successful a leader you will be.

Great points, derek.  @shdowhunt60 the middle class is the great majority of a 1st world nation. Sometimes, sacrifices need to be made in order to make sure that most of the nation is well-off rather than making sure the top 5 percent can afford gold toilets

1 minute ago, SurvivorNVL said:

I've always held the opinion to cut the lines in to any terrorist affected countries in the ME, cut them off from the internet entirely until secular control is re-established regionally.  As for censorship--I can't see any issues with shutting down any pro-Islamist websites.  Closing up the net to me, is the first idea in fruition - cut those countries off from it entirely, and as consequence(preferably) do the same to all the richest Middle-Eastern nations so they're forced to actually help clean up the mess in their backyard that both they, the U.S. and Israeli interventionary wars caused.

Those aren't our decisions to make unfortunately. If we can decide to block off another country's Internet, then other countries should also have the right to block our Internet. It's only fair unless the majority of nations agree to it. 

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

26 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

And Hilary's an expert. Just a server of knowledge. If there's one device she likes to go back to over and over, it's her knowledge of the internet. 

You forgot to mention her Ph.D. in emails.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Probably because he is one of the most disliked presidential nominees in the history of the US. It's actually a very close tie between him and Clinton as to who has the higher disapproval rating. Besides he himself has called for Internet censorship https://www.uspolitics.news/2015/12/08/news/2016-elections/donald-trump-wants-to-censor-the-internet/1541

"I hate someone so it's a-ok to censor whatever they say" Is the kind of vibe I'm getting from you there

He's called for censorship in relation to terrorist recruiting from groups like ISIS, trying to cut off the voice they have over social media. Hey look, we have laws like that in the UK already, against the incitement of hate. Someone was (relatively) recently put in jail for encouraging support for ISIS, how is that much different from what he wants to do? How is it necessarily a bad thing?

LTT's fastest Valley 970, slowest Valley Basic and Extreme HD scores

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

48 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

Im done, if he becomes president and has control over the internet, any dissenters will have the fbi knocking at their doors and their ips ddos ed and any anti-trump websites shut down. He's run his corporation like a dictator, you can't say that he won't run america like a dictator. I may be canadian but i fear for the safety of the world if donald trump becomes president. As bad as hillary is, at least she won't start WW3 and a nuclear armageddon

I'd like to believe that. But here's why I don't: I've been hearing the same kind of paranoid fucking shit about Obama for the better part of the last fucking decade and he was an average president at best, completely "meh" at worst. 

It's the Democrats' turn to develop paranoid personality disorder en masse.

-------

Current Rig

-------

By now you've got to raise eyebrows whenever any politician is headlining with science or technology in the mix. As they are busy dealing with human issues (the effort of which shouldn't be understated), they often simply lack the time (or effort, that's for you to decide) to get a nuanced understanding of how things work. And having an incomplete or wrong understanding of something leads people to say weird things that have little bearing in real life.

So to headlines like this I just have to say "whatever".

Everyone would do well to remember Clinton, Trump, Stein, and Johnson are all over 60 years old..! (and nontechnical, obviously)

(Johnson 63, Stein 66, Clinton 68, Trump 70)

Current: i7 990x / GTX 950 / 12 GB RAM / Micro ATX

Waiting for the next amazing Mini ITX case!

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I'd like to believe that. But here's why I don't: I've been hearing the same kind of paranoid fucking shit about Obama for the better part of the last fucking decade and he was an average president at best, completely "meh" at worst. 

It's the Democrat's turn to develop paranoid personality disorder en masse.

Trump's only a civic nationalist.  He'd unfortunately never make use of tracking down and giving helicopter rides to dissenters / marxists.

LOL so you saying only you can play and control the internet. Not sharing is caring. 

Magical Pineapples

I have relatives in the US who are actually considering in moving to Canada if Donald Trump wins. Although your PM said Americans wouldn't.

Here's a satire video about Trump:

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

I have relatives in the US who are actually considering in moving to Canada if Donald Trump wins. Although your PM said American's wouldn't.

I watched that video, and Justin has a good point.

Every few years, there are people clamouring that "I'll move to Canada!" if someone gets elected. And despite that, every time, US->Canada immigration numbers remain very steady.

Take Bush, for example. When he was running for re-election, lots of liberal leaning folks threatened to move to Canada (Fun fact, my best friend in College - his family actually DID move to Canada to escape Bush) - but hardly any ever do.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I can't stand the liberals.  They're back at the trough, sucking tax payer money up as fast as they can.  I can't stand the Conservatives, as they are liars.  The NDP, well... crazy.

The other big thing against the liberals is how they've pushed multiculturalism so hard that Canadian culture is being diluted.

7 minutes ago, NavyCuda said:

I can't stand the liberals.  They're back at the trough, sucking tax payer money up as fast as they can.  I can't stand the Conservatives, as they are liars.  The NDP, well... crazy.

The other big thing against the liberals is how they've pushed multiculturalism so hard that Canadian culture is being diluted.

Help me out here, what do YOU think a "liberal" is?

19 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Help me out here, what do YOU think a "liberal" is?

Liberal Party of Canada.  Not too difficult to figure out.

21 minutes ago, NavyCuda said:

Liberal Party of Canada.  Not too difficult to figure out.

It is difficult when you don't consider yourself to be liberal because you vote for the Liberal political party.

See, any decent Conservative is liberal.  Any decent Liberal is conservative.  I don't know who taught you to hate "liberals", but it would be nice for you to smarten up.  

One advantage of living in Canada (over the USA) is that we don't have the volume of relatively ignorant individuals grouping up.  A benefit of a smaller population.  Don't be part of that group of relative idiots up here in Canada. 

We've been over this. This isn't handing control of the internet over to any foreign body. This is transferring control of the distribution of domain names to an international body. Ted Cruz is just doing this to bring up some issue that most people don't understand so he can resist the budget. If his fellow senators did any ounce of research the'd understand how ridiculous what he's saying is and shoot him down. He needs to get his head out of his ass and think like a sensible elected official.

Just now, stconquest said:

See, any decent Conservative is liberal.  Any decent Liberal is conservative.  I don't know who taught you to hate "liberals", but it would be nice for you to smarten up.

Experience has taught me to dislike the Liberal Party of Canada.  I don't hate liberals, so it would be nice if you didn't make inaccurate assumptions.

49 minutes ago, NavyCuda said:

Just now, NavyCuda said:

Experience has taught me to dislike the Liberal Party of Canada.  I don't hate liberals, so it would be nice if you didn't make inaccurate assumptions.

See, don't be what you are in this thread.

Just now, stconquest said:

See, don't be what you are in this thread.

This doesn't make sense.  My top post was about specific political partys in Canada.

If anyone is to blame, it's us Canadians for continuing to vote in Governments that are inefficient and spend more time trying to convince everyone they're great, instead of proving it by doing a good job.

2 hours ago, SurvivorNVL said:

Yes because cutting off people's access to the global intellectual wealth and new ideas has traditionally been great to fuel regime and cultural change.

/s

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

10 minutes ago, NavyCuda said:

This doesn't make sense.  My top post was about specific political partys in Canada.

If anyone is to blame, it's us Canadians for continuing to vote in Governments that are inefficient and spend more time trying to convince everyone they're great, instead of proving it by doing a good job.

It makes sense.  You generalize the political parties like they are living entities.  What I mean is you do not mention any specific policy or politician.  All you are doing ranting about the Canadian political spectrum here, in a thread about Trump's (and Cruz's) stupidity.

You seem to hate multiculturalism, or a push towards it.  My Canadian upbringing involved a lot of Greek being spoken.  Do you know Greek?  Well then, you are diluting MY Canadian experience; you live in a world that does not speak Greek.  Are you afraid of diversity for some reason?  What is this "Canadian Culture" you speak of?  Does it really exist?

Politicians need to convince people to vote for them.  They have to market themselves.  It should be the standard to be the person you tell people you are.