Canon 1100D/T3

Hi Guys! My Canon 1100D (known in other countries as the T3) suddenly stopped working as it should.

The SD-card is not being recognized properly; I get the following error when powering up: "Card not be adressed. Reinsert/change the card or format with camera"

Since I used my 64GB Kingston UHS-3 SDXC card for quite some time I tried some other cards, but they resulted in the same issue. 

Formatting the card is not possible on camera; neither is taking pictures. When I reset the camera settings I however can format the card, take some pictures (10-20 if I just point/shoot) and getting stuck back at the beginning again. I have the most recent firmware (1.0.5) and the SD-cards work just fine in my computer. Since I can see those burst-taken pictures on my computer aswell I assume that the SD-card-reader itself is fine, and the soldering points and so forth are intact. 

What can I do? Thanks in advance!

usefull data:

Canon 1100D

Tamron 18-270 VC DiII

Kingston 64GB SDXC UHS-3 90MBS read 80 Write

very odd 
i wouldve recommended 
formating SD card
resetting Camera to factory settings
and you have already done those things

contact canon support? is the camera still under warranty? 
theyre nice people over there (usually) i managed to get the entire sensor replaced on my t2i for free a week after my warranty ended

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Yes I have tried all that :( 

I haven't contacted Canon support, since it is was out of warranty for quite a while

2 hours ago, NLBUURMAN said:

Yes I have tried all that :( 

I haven't contacted Canon support, since it is was out of warranty for quite a while

they can still help. they will just charge, canon support is top notch

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

10 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

they can still help. they will just charge, canon support is top notch

I know they are top notch, however I am quite worried that the costs will turn out very high, as probably only the sending it to them plus them taking a glance already makes 40-50€, while I can buy another 2nd hand version for around 125-140.

1 hour ago, NLBUURMAN said:

I know they are top notch, however I am quite worried that the costs will turn out very high, as probably only the sending it to them plus them taking a glance already makes 40-50€, while I can buy another 2nd hand version for around 125-140.

Save up for a better model :) 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I suppose by resetting the camera you mean you have tried to remove the settings storage battery? 

Have you tried using other available firmware? Like using a previous version of the firmware rather than latest? 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

Ok so... I had the same problem with my T2i (also known as 550D) in addition that the camera started deleting videos and photos from the SD card, the two cameras are almost the same, I tried everything possible buy I ended putting my camera to rest.

On 27-9-2016 at 6:05 PM, cc143 said:

I suppose by resetting the camera you mean you have tried to remove the settings storage battery? 

Have you tried using other available firmware? Like using a previous version of the firmware rather than latest? 

I have resetted the settings in the camera menu.

I have not tried using other available firmware, because I thought it was working just fine till that day before the final exit. (it had the same issue, but reinserting the SD-card did help back then)

14 minutes ago, NLBUURMAN said:

I have resetted the settings in the camera menu.

I have not tried using other available firmware, because I thought it was working just fine till that day before the final exit. (it had the same issue, but reinserting the SD-card did help back then)

It wouldn't hurt for you to try. 

Also, there is a battery that keeps date and time settings and some other stuff in the camera, it should be in the main battery compartment, try removing that as well, you never know, that could for some reason be the issue. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

5 minutes ago, cc143 said:

It wouldn't hurt for you to try. 

Also, there is a battery that keeps date and time settings and some other stuff in the camera, it should be in the main battery compartment, try removing that as well, you never know, that could for some reason be the issue. 

The 1100D is having a user replaceable backup battery?

I thought Canon replaced these batteries about 8 years ago by on board super caps.

34 minutes ago, .spider. said:

The 1100D is having a user replaceable backup battery?

I thought Canon replaced these batteries about 8 years ago by on board super caps.

I apologise, I was not aware. my camera has one so I assumed this one would, but mine is 9 years old at this point, so I guess its possible it doesn't. 

still, firmware thing could help maybe...

If there's a newer update for the frimware then do an update. If still doesn't work, remove your sd card, reset your camera to factory settings. Then downgrade your frimware to an old update (if applicable). Try if it works. If the problem still insists then update it again to the latest frimware and try it again. So far this is the solution I could think of.

I think that the problem MIGHT be the camera it self. Similar to computers cameras also have CMOS (the one the saves the settings of the camera/PC) or the BACKUP Battery but now DSLR's only have the capacitor that act as a CMOS battery for saving the settings of your camera. If you know how to reset that then give it a try. or read this article here (check if it fits in your problem) 

photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1205511

If you ran out of options then yeah. I have to agree with the others to contact canon support and pay them to fix it. (or buy a new camera).

Adobo, Kilawin, Liempo and More. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I found the issue, it were the SD-cards. the 64GB card was not able to be formatted in fat32; and the camera couldn't handle the other file formats. Though it worked perfectly fine in my summer holiday. The other cards were microSD cards in a defect microsd -> SD adapter. It now is working fine again! thanks for the inputs :)