Delid video!

AoeAoe

Problems with original video:

1. Stock cooler that can barely transfer enough heat for TIM to matter.
  2. Not using liquid metal paste (this is a minor complaint, I'm sure that gelid or whatever they used was superior to stuff intel put's in).
  3. Not running heavy overclock

I've delided my 6600k and at high overclocks it performs significantly better than just a few degrees (by significant I mean 4.8Ghz 1.45V).
At these settings 6600k consumes 150J, significantly more than 91W TDP and TIM clearly bottlenecks.
Results that would net highest temps delta would be running recent prime95 small FFTs, but even normal benchmarks can do the job (x264).

30m of prime95 on my current 24/7 settings (4.7Ghz 1.4V) as shown bellow (Energy -> over 100J -> 100+ W/s).
Note that fan2 (which is my CPU fan) spins at bellow 1500rpm, 50% (it's ippc noctua) just to keep temps bellow 65C on fan curve, pre-delid it would spin at 3000rpm and temps would be still skyhigh (95-100ish Tmax range).
IBwNaNF.png

People who run at stock speeds don't do delids, people who spend 100+$ on their cooler and don't want it to be bottlenecked by TIM intel puts in do.
Also, this isn't just the matter of achieving 100Mhz higher clocks on OC, this actually significantly reduces RPMs that modern coolers need to keep temps in check.

Could we please have the video redone by luke as a part of Workshop set for example? Preferably with conditions biased towards delid mattering, not the other way around.
Did Intel put you guys up to this? ^^

RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED

Untitled.jpg

Edited by AoeAoe

And they just put the IHS back on after delidding...

Like, it's delidded, just leave that part off, get even better temps.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

10 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

Delidding just seems so dangerous, I would never do it to a chip that costed more than 100 dollars.

Peeps are doing it on 1700$ CPUs that already have decent TIM in stock (indium solder) and getting better results than Linus did.

Kryonaught grizzly seems to be the latest pixie dust on the market, i got some good temps too.

Ive delidded my cpu i7 3770k in the past and will do the same for my i7 6700k.

the delid video is not ideal . . . The test was suppose to see if it would reduce the higher temps under load but what they didnt test is the thermal conductivity.

basically they bottlenecked there results using a low end cooler that cant transfer the heat quick enough to reduce temperatures.

11 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

Delidding just seems so dangerous, I would never do it to a chip that costed more than 100 dollars.

you can buy tools to delid cpu's and i tested on some cheap cpu's that has non soldered die's

On 9/22/2016 at 1:40 PM, TiberiusMoon said:

... basically they bottlenecked there results using a low end cooler that cant transfer the heat quick enough to reduce temperatures.

Exactly my point.

On 9/22/2016 at 1:40 PM, ArmswieldTheHero said:

Oh god

So many things could've gone wrong.

Thats why we, overclockers, play this in background when we do it.

2 minutes ago, AoeAoe said:

Thats why we, overclockers, play this in background when we do it.

Heh, I dont understand overclocking much, you'd risk damaging or even destroying your chip for maybe 5-6 more frames.

Dang, removed the original wall of text by mistake :[

6 minutes ago, TiberiusMoon said:

you can buy tools to delid cpu's and i tested on some cheap cpu's that has non soldered die's

Its still risky business though.

5 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

Its still risky business though.

It's my understanding that people weaken solder by heating chip (or IHS) to high temperatures and then it comes off way easier (I've seen people do it with ironning thingy and hot air gun).But yeah, I wouldn't do it even if I had that kind of money to throw around. In comparison, skylake delids are safe if you know what you are doing (especially with 3D printed tool, never heard of anyone breaking one in these things).

Just now, AoeAoe said:

It's my understanding that people weaken solder by heating chip (or IHS) to high temperatures and then it comes off way easier (I've seen people do it with ironning thingy and hot air gun).
But yeah, I wouldn't do it even if I had that kind of money to throw around.

wait a second...

"But yea I wouldnt do it even if I had that kind of money to throw around"

And in the OP, you stated that you delidded a chip and dropped 30c

12 minutes ago, AoeAoe said:

It's my understanding that people weaken solder by heating chip (or IHS) to high temperatures and then it comes off way easier (I've seen people do it with ironning thingy and hot air gun).But yeah, I wouldn't do it even if I had that kind of money to throw around. In comparison, skylake delids are safe if you know what you are doing (especially with 3D printed tool, never heard of anyone breaking one in these things).

Aww sweet bro you overclock?

https://i.imgur.com/7rw1Qwb.gifv

24 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

wait a second...

"But yea I wouldnt do it even if I had that kind of money to throw around"

And in the OP, you stated that you delidded a chip and dropped 30c

Deliding skylake is WAY more safe than deliding soldered cpu, plus 6600k is only like 250$, not quite 1700$.
Risk/reward shift between the two is fairly significant, at least in my mind.
Also, even at stock speeds my CPU needs to run 24/7 and before delid I couldn't keep it silent enough.
I'm running neural network classifier over nights for my bachelors thesis and it tends to max out both CPU and GPU for overnight (parsing and classifying stylometry in code from github).

1 minute ago, AoeAoe said:

Deliding skylake is WAY more safe than deliding soldered cpu, plus 6600k is only like 250$, not quite 1700$.
Risk/reward shift between the two is fairly significant, at least in my mind.

$250 is a LOT of money to waste if you break something.

7 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

$250 is a LOT of money to waste if you break something.

Lets just say that I was ok with risks involved and leave it at that.

On 9/22/2016 at 8:47 PM, ArmswieldTheHero said:

Heh, I dont understand overclocking much, you'd risk damaging or even destroying your chip for maybe 5-6 more frames.

Erm, many overclockers that I know do it for fun, for example there is this young fella who is does pretty awesome shit on youtube/twitch.
Also, many people who do overclocks do it to shave off time of things that take minutes/hours, not to get marginally better framerate in games.
Ask any CS:GO player if he/she is interested in running with lower frame variance (not necessarily higher framerate) and you will get universal yes.
With well tuned overclock you might actually sacrifice maximum boost clocks on GPU/CPU in favor of constant frequency which tends to yield less frame variance (depends on game ofcourse, but it's true enough for CS:GO).

I have used GPU overclock to get roughly 20% more performance from my RBM-based DNN classifier for my thesis,
but that was before I got access 48core quad-cpu compute servers with teslas from my university.

Anyways, currently I fall into "because we can" category of overclockers. I might even do some LN overclocking with my old cards just to see how much I can squeeze them.
It's fine that you are not interested in any of this, just please stop going around and sharing your opinions if you have (self-admittedly) no experience.

6 hours ago, AoeAoe said:

Erm, many overclockers that I know do it for fun, for example there is this young fella who is does pretty awesome shit on youtube/twitch.
Also, many people who do overclocks do it to shave off time of things that take minutes/hours, not to get marginally better framerate in games.
Ask any CS:GO player if he/she is interested in running with lower frame variance (not necessarily higher framerate) and you will get universal yes.
With well tuned overclock you might actually sacrifice maximum boost clocks on GPU/CPU in favor of constant frequency which tends to yield less frame variance (depends on game ofcourse, but it's true enough for CS:GO).

I have used GPU overclock to get roughly 20% more performance from my RBM-based DNN classifier for my thesis,
but that was before I got access 48core quad-cpu compute servers with teslas from my university.

Anyways, currently I fall into "because we can" category of overclockers. I might even do some LN overclocking with my old cards just to see how much I can squeeze them.
It's fine that you are not interested in any of this, just please stop going around and sharing your opinions if you have (self-admittedly) no experience.

So what, you're saying that I cant share my opinion just because its less valuable than yours? I understand how to overclock and what it does, I just don't understand the actual act of overclocking, why the heck you'd even do it.

8 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

So what, you're saying that I cant share my opinion just because its less valuable than yours? I understand how to overclock and what it does, I just don't understand the actual act of overclocking, why the heck you'd even do it.

Besdies performance, it's a rite of passage as a tech enthusiast and it is one way to one-up your tech buddies. Delidding is the same dealio.

Oc'ing when done correctly will not damage or destroy your chip. Overvolting on the other hand is what can do that. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

So since anyone here share the interest, I decided to delid my 6600k that runs at 4,6ghz atm with 1,335v @65-70°C burn in order to cool the MTB temp since my CPU cooling Radiator is intake.

I'll use Collaboratory Liquid pro on the Die and Gelid Extreme under my copper AIO (Lepa Aquachanger 240) since Liquid pro would be harder to remove later and will erase chip informations when I'll sell it in the future

and because I've never done it before I bought this, thought I would share with you 

if you ask I'll make my own video to share.

Also, I bought the "relid" tool to glue back the processor after at the same exact perfect position