Brand new rig, Z170A no post (code 00)

Go to solution Solved by X_Splinter,

Confirmed... Got my replacement motherboard and now everything is working...

And what an awesome machine... :)

Hey guys, yesterday I finish mounting my PC, everything is new. Motherboard is MSI gaming M7 Z170A

When on everything is powered on ok but the board never start the bios, it's shows the error code 00 on the board. Thats number that doesnt exist and after hours of googling most people that had this error either had cpu pin bended or a bricked board.

I tried all troubleshooting: Removing everything, testing ram on diferent slots, removing the baterry... you name it

Now I removed my corsair water cooler and removed the CPU and I dont see any bents.

I reinstalled it again and it still no bios post, error 00

Should I return my motherboard to Amazon and request another? This is so frustrating, everything new and it doesnt work :(

20160922_145456.jpg

Code 00 means it's not being used. It's either the CPU or the Motherboard. I had the same problem. The CPU wasn't set in place, after placing it in the socket again it posted. If it doesn't POST even after being set correctly you have either dead CPU or motherboard.

i7 6800K

Corsair H110i GT

Asus ROG Strix X99 Gaming

Corsair Vengeance LPX (4x4GB) 3200MHz

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Seagate Barracuda 3TB

R9 270X

NZXT H440 (Black/Red) 2015 Edition

EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W

BenQ XL2411Z

12&4/8 pin power plugged in all the way?

are all the stand offs accounted for ( is there one just stuck in the back of the motherboard)?

try to post without the cooler installed (but not for long, just until you see post)

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

Didn't you run a check before putting in the case?

Does the error code stay on or does the mobo boot loop, like turns on for a few seconds or whatever and then turn off again and repeat?

If yes to the second question, check your start/reset connections. If no and the code stays on, then I'd say you need to reseat CPU/cooler/RAM even just to check... maybe take the mobo out of case if you didn't run a POST check before putting in case, then check your stand-offs etc. It's unlikely the CPU is DOA, and the mobo is working if displaying a code to some extent.

What spec is your CPU etc, pcpartpicker list if you can?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Hey guys, I reseated the cooler and CPU 3 times now and it's not working. The board stays on but with code 00 (no image, no beeps). I did not check before the case but since it stays on I assume there is no interference

Here's my part list: http://fr.pcpartpicker.com/user/X_Splinter/saved/sd48dC

I am almost desperate, I am considering taking the rig a pc store to see if they could check it using another CPU or something :(

are you positive about putting the cpu in the right position ?

RAM too ? checked the slots numbers ? (only 2 rams must be plugged in position 2 and 4, not 1 and 2)

just like in this picture you've got both triangle shaped corners aligned ?

66c1038ceed3dba481b488bb91a28b7e-650-80.jpg

21 minutes ago, belfouf said:

are you positive about putting the cpu in the right position ?

RAM too ? checked the slots numbers ? (only 2 rams must be plugged in position 2 and 4, not 1 and 2)

just like in this picture you've got both triangle shaped corners aligned ?

66c1038ceed3dba481b488bb91a28b7e-650-80.jpg

Absolutely positive... this is blowing my mind.

Got be the motherboard that is dead, if so this will be the first i bought some major peace DOA

5 minutes ago, X_Splinter said:

Absolutely positive... this is blowing my mind.

Got be the motherboard that is dead, if so this will be the first i bought some major peace DOA

did some research to be sure before posting, saw some people with same error, 100% resolved with hardware problems. In your place I would remove everything and put back everything. Before that try with only 1 RAM DIM and no GPU.

according to 4 french technical websites I browsed problem comes from either CPU plug or RAM.

36 minutes ago, belfouf said:

did some research to be sure before posting, saw some people with same error, 100% resolved with hardware problems. In your place I would remove everything and put back everything. Before that try with only 1 RAM DIM and no GPU.

according to 4 french technical websites I browsed problem comes from either CPU plug or RAM.

Thanks, I also checked 2 posts in the french msi forum with similar situation, one had a CPU installed incorrectly the other had a bricked board.

I am sure my CPU is perfectly installed, I even followed a video...

I am thinking in passing on a PC store and ask if they can test my CPU on different board and all.

Just now, X_Splinter said:

Thanks, I also checked 2 posts in the french msi forum with similar situation, one had a CPU installed incorrectly the other had a bricked board.

I am sure my CPU is perfectly installed, I even followed a video...

I thinking in passing on a PC store and ask if they can test my CPU on different board and all.

please keep us updated for sharing knowledge, good luck

Update: Well I took to a PC repair shop and today they tested it:
CPU fine,

Ram fine,

PSU fine...

Motherboard dead :(

I feel stupid I did everything right it was obvious it was dead but anyway, Amazon will replace in 2 days. I hope to have my new rig running next week