PSU facing up or down?

HungryHamster

Hey guys,

Sorry for this really basic questions, but should I put my Corsair RM850i facing with the fan up or down in my case (Corsair 760t). I would much prefer to have it facing up since I think it would look better. Does it make much difference in regards to heat and air flow? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The fan is supposed to pull air in so depending on where you'll be putting the PC and the current airflow setup in the case it might be best to have it pointed down.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

The fan on your PSU should be facing downwards so it can pull cool air through the bottom of your case as your case has vents on the bottom specifically for this purpose. 

Just now, Lurick said:

The fan is supposed to pull air in so depending on where you'll be putting the PC and the current airflow setup in the case it might be best to have it pointed down.

What if it is on the ground with carpet. Won't it be pulling in a lot of dust? I can also install a fan next to it on the bottom of the case.

Thanks for your help.

it depends on the situation.

that said, does the fan on the psu need to spin up? if it has enough headroom for that to not be necessary, it's better to put it fan side up so it can vent passively easier.

Down. The 760t has a dustfilter on the bottom extra for the PSU.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

3 minutes ago, HungryHamster said:

What if it is on the ground with carpet. Won't it be pulling in a lot of dust? I can also install a fan next to it on the bottom of the case.

Thanks for your help.

If you're putting the PC on carpet then have it facing up.

Fan facing down will allow your PSU to draw cooler air from outside, which will keep it slightly cooler. Do not do this if you're putting the system on a thick carpet, as that will starve it for air.

Fan facing up will basically turn your PSU fan into an extra exhaust fan for your system. The PSU will draw warmer air from your case, but that should not be an issue considering you're getting a decent PSU that won't run too hot to begin with.

So for the PSU itself it really doesn't matter. Things to keep in mind are:

Fan facing up, you have an extra exhaust fan. They may cause negative pressure in the case, which may draw dust into the creases around the chassis. Having more total intake fans than exhaust fans is usually recommended (bigger intake fans than exhaust can also be used to create positive pressure).

If your graphics card is very close above the PSU, its fan(s) may have to compete with the PSU fan for airflow. This can negatively impact the cooling performance of your GPU.

Though in the end, any differences will be very minor, especially since I believe the RMi's fan doesn't even turn on until it's at pretty high load. I'd personally go for what looks best if you're using a windowed case.

daily driver
Intel Core i7-950 | ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 | 6x2GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800 | ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SB X-Fi Titanium
Samsung 840 EVO + WD Caviar Black | Fractal Define R3 | Phanteks/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010)

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 | Apple Mac-F222BEC8 | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-8500 | GeForce 320M
SanDisk SDSSDP | Apple A1278 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

Microsoft Lumia 950

Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 | 3GB RAM | Adreno 418 | Windows 10 Mobile

daily driver 2

Intel Core i5-750 | ASUS P7P55-M | 4x1GB Elpida PC3-8500 | Sapphire Radeon HD5870 | SB X-Fi Xtreme Music
Crucial M4 + WD AV-GP Green | Fractal Define R3 | Scythe/Gelid/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Intel Core i7-3615QM | Apple Mac-4B7AC7E434945597E | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-12800 | GeForce GT650M
WD Blue | Apple A1286 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

server

AMD Athlon 64 LE-1620 | Jetway JNC62K | 2GB Corsair Value Select PC2-6400 | GeForce 8200 IGP
WD Caviar SE16 + AV-GP Green + 2x Red | Chenbro ES34069 | Scythe/Nexus/Noctua cooling | Windows Home Server

coming soon: Eve V

Intel Core i7-7Y75 | Skybay U3E1 | 2x8GB Samsung PC3LP-14900 | Intel HD 615
Intel 600P | Eve V Aluminium Unibody | Windows 10 Pro

I always go fan up for aesthetic reasons. If you think it looks better like i do, go fan up. Also, with the 850 watt your fan will rarely spin up. Fan up will allow heat to rise up out of the fan hole and like someone said, vent passively. It makes virtually no difference in actual performance and temps.

With the RMi it doesn't matter much as A. The fan hardly ever comes on and B. it has a temperature tolerance of 50C so the fan facing down or up shouldn't be a big concern to you. However, if you want it to remain coolest and keep cable management easiest then have the fan face down.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||