i am trying to build a laptop

Legolessed

so obviously, trying to fit actually decent components into a laptop is impossible for your average consumer so i had another idea. My main goal for this project is to build a laptop that i could use as a chromebook. mainly for typing stuff and basic tasks like that. My plan is to use the raspberry pi zero with my anker power core mini as my battery. So far i haven't found anything for the screen but im thinking of using a 5 inch display since the raspberry pi ones retail for like $70. Then i want to try and find a super cheap keyboard with either a trackpad or the little nub in the keyboard since i don't plan to be doing much on this computer. So far this is my part list.

pi zero: https://www.adafruit.com/products/2885

battery: https://www.anker.com/products/A11040B1 (i already own this)

so tell me what you guys think. Do you think im crazy or that this may be plausible.

3 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

so obviously, trying to fit actually decent components into a laptop is impossible for your average consumer so i had another idea. My main goal for this project is to build a laptop that i could use as a chromebook. mainly for typing stuff and basic tasks like that. My plan is to use the raspberry pi zero with my anker power core mini as my battery. So far i haven't found anything for the screen but im thinking of using a 5 inch display since the raspberry pi ones retail for like $70. Then i want to try and find a super cheap keyboard with either a trackpad or the little nub in the keyboard since i don't plan to be doing much on this computer. So far this is my part list.

pi zero: https://www.adafruit.com/products/2885

battery: https://www.anker.com/products/A11040B1 (i already own this)

so tell me what you guys think. Do you think im crazy or that this may be plausible.

Building a laptop used to be easy, you might be able to find an old shell from back in the good ol' days.

Just now, rm -rf said:

Building a laptop used to be easy, you might be able to find an old shell from back in the good ol' days.

lol ya. I can probably find something on ebay for a couple bucks. What i kind of want to do though is to make my own shell with like legos or something just to top off the effect of this build xD. i could also use Popsicle sticks or cardboard 

1 minute ago, Legolessed said:

lol ya. I can probably find something on ebay for a couple bucks. What i kind of want to do though is to make my own shell with like legos or something just to top off the effect of this build xD. i could also use Popsicle sticks or cardboard 

If this works please put some photos on this thread xD

Just now, rm -rf said:

i will! or if i forget i will probably make a thread with my results!

2 minutes ago, rm -rf said:

will my power bank have enough power to power the computer? i was just looking at raspberry pi's website and most of the kit's provide a standard 5v 1amp usb charger but some provide a 2 amp. Is the two amp for show or something or do you actually need 2 amp's to turn this computer on?

1 minute ago, Legolessed said:

will my power bank have enough power to power the computer? i was just looking at raspberry pi's website and most of the kit's provide a standard 5v 1amp usb charger but some provide a 2 amp. Is the two amp for show or something or do you actually need 2 amp's to turn this computer on?

I think you'd only need the 2 amp if you're doing heavier stuff with peripherals, though I don't have more than 5 minutes of experience with the Rasberry Pi.

Just now, rm -rf said:

I think you'd only need the 2 amp if you're doing heavier stuff with peripherals, though I don't have more than 5 minutes of experience with the Rasberry Pi.

would i be stretching it with a keyboard and mouse? also do you have any ideas for what keyboard and what mouse to use? also a monitor that would work with the pi?

3 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

would i be stretching it with a keyboard and mouse? also do you have any ideas for what keyboard and what mouse to use? also a monitor that would work with the pi?

You should be fine, possible not if they're backlit though. I've got no idea really though.

This may be worth a look at: http://www.computershopper.com/feature/build-your-own-laptop

@Legolessed It may be worth it to check little hole in the wall PC shops. They can have a massive number of old laptops that you could use for parts. I know the one i used to work at did.

8 hours ago, Lilithty said:

@Legolessed It may be worth it to check little hole in the wall PC shops. They can have a massive number of old laptops that you could use for parts. I know the one i used to work at did.

The only problem with that is I wouldn't be able to use the keyboard, track pad, or screen because they all use proprietary connecters right?

@Legolessed some of them do. however from what I saw many of them used daughter boards that peripherals plugged into. So i think it may be worth the risk.

4 hours ago, Lilithty said:

@Legolessed some of them do. however from what I saw many of them used daughter boards that peripherals plugged into. So i think it may be worth the risk.

20 hours ago, rm -rf said:

You should be fine, possible not if they're backlit though. I've got no idea really though.

This may be worth a look at: http://www.computershopper.com/feature/build-your-own-laptop

is there a way i could use my ipad first gen or my blu r1 hd as the monitor for my laptop? I woud prefer the ipad because of screen size but if thats not possible then would my phone be possible?