Oppo's First UHD Blu-Ray Player, Coming Soon

Original Article form Engadget: Oppo's first Ultra HD Blu-ray player is coming later this year

Lately we've paid more attention to Oppo's mobile devices, but it's still the home of some well-regarded audio/video equipment. The company revealed its first Ultra HD Blu-ray player at CEDIA 2016 last week, and now is taking sign-ups for more information on its website. We don't have detailed specs for the UDP-203, but Oppo told Chris Heinonen that it would sell for $499. The pictures he took show dual-HDMI ports, two USB jacks, analog 7.1 audio output, RS-232 and Ethernet. HDTVTest, meanwhile, cites UK journalist John Archer reporting that he's been told the player will be available with a step-up UDP-205 model, and both will support Dolby Vision HDR.

Why Important: More competition and more producers making UHD Blu-Ray players.  And because Linus can get it for his big 4K TV to watch with his cats.  And everyone likes cats.

As if we gonna go buy disc that can be scraped and scratched later on. Plus digital downloads is cheaper always than physical disc

5 minutes ago, VPrime said:

Original Article form Engadget: Oppo's first Ultra HD Blu-ray player is coming later this year

Why Important: More competition and more producers making UHD Blu-Ray players.  And because Linus can get it for his big 4K TV to watch with his cats.  And everyone likes cats.

Unless his cat happens to eat the Styrofoam again. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, dexxterlab97 said:

As if we gonna go buy disc that can be scraped and scratched later on. Plus digital downloads is cheaper always than physical disc

But I like physical disks :) Plus if you make them millennium capable against data rot, they'll be yours to keep.  You won't have to keep dumb accounts active with your email "kittenlover1233@yahoo.com" anymore xD

5 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

I have PLENTY of stuff on Disc, also Disc is like SUPER CRAZY IMPORTANT to 4k due to BITRATES UHD Disc Bitrates are orders of magnitude higher then the bitrates of streaming media, more data means BETTER PICTURE, plus things like support for Dolby Atmos, which no streaming service I know of has. If you want to see just HOW GOOD that fancy 4k TV is, you NEED to use Disc, NO STREAMING MEDIA is able to match the bitrates.

Just now, Daniel644 said:

I have PLENTY of stuff on Disc, also Disc is like SUPER CRAZY IMPORTANT to 4k due to BITRATES UHD Disc Bitrates are orders of magnitude higher then the bitrates of streaming media, more data means BETTER PICTURE, plus things like support for Dolby Atmos, which no streaming service I know of has. If you want to see just HOW GOOD that fancy 4k TV is, you NEED to use Disc, NO STREAMING MEDIA is able to match the bitrates.

Digital Download. No way my internet can stream 4K

2 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

Digital Download. No way my internet can stream 4K

well unless the Digital Downloads are 60+ GB files (which would QUICKLY fill up most hard drives) encoded in full 10bit h.265 HEVC (anything less would be dropping the bitrate of the UHD standard) and you have a PC powerful enough to handle decoding that file, since something of that bitrate typically needs a Hardware Decoder which is coming in KabyLake CPU's to play smoothly then your digital Download still won't be as good as Disc, plus (while not me) MANY people have DATA CAPS on there internet and downloading MASSIVE files like that would quickly eat there bandwidth up, Disc is ALWAYS BETTER! Streaming just tends to be more convenient.

1 hour ago, dexxterlab97 said:

Blu-Ray discs are extremely scratch resistant.

Not everyone has the bandwidth to stream 4K movies.

Blu-Ray >>> HDD/SSD for long term storage.

Ok, so an Xbox One S is still the best UHD Blueray player.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

You can download, and store it locally. I'll have you know the bitrate is just as high. :)

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

1 minute ago, alexyy said:

You can download, and store it locally. I'll have you know the bitrate is just as high. :)

well then that requires TONS AND TONS of storage to hold a movie collection the size I have, bigger then any single physical drive that exists today (if all my DVDs where UHD Blurays), plus it is MUCH MUCH faster to drive to the store and buy the disc then to spend 3+ hours of the day using up my entire internet connection (preventing me from using my TV, since I subscribe to Playstation Vue and Sling), yeah NO THANKS, DISC is EASIER, FASTER and doesn't eat up ridiculous amounts of hard drive capacity requiring me to have Multiple Drives to store it on, because I'm sure as shit not gonna trust a Cloud Server to hold stuff I've PAID for, we've seen companies like Amazon and Apple REMOVE items from the cloud that people have purchased so not going to risk that, then comes the nightmare of keeping track of what movies are stored on what hard drives and how long till that hard drive fails, Discs have a longer Shelf Life so i'll stay there till the format is DEAD. Physical Media trumps Digital Media ALWAYS.

2 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

well then that requires TONS AND TONS of storage to hold a movie collection the size I have, bigger then any single physical drive that exists today (if all my DVDs where UHD Blurays), plus it is MUCH MUCH faster to drive to the store and buy the disc then to spend 3+ hours of the day using up my entire internet connection (preventing me from using my TV, since I subscribe to Playstation Vue and Sling), yeah NO THANKS, DISC is EASIER, FASTER and doesn't eat up ridiculous amounts of hard drive capacity requiring me to have Multiple Drives to store it on, because I'm sure as shit not gonna trust a Cloud Server to hold stuff I've PAID for, we've seen companies like Amazon and Apple REMOVE items from the cloud that people have purchased so not going to risk that, then comes the nightmare of keeping track of what movies are stored on what hard drives and how long till that hard drive fails, Discs have a longer Shelf Life so i'll stay there till the format is DEAD. Physical Media trumps Digital Media ALWAYS.

Cheaper storage wise than paying for UHD blurays, Also I'll assume you've never herd of a Plex server or even a NAS? Also the last part "Physical Media trumps Digital Media ALWAYS." I'll assume you buy all your games from the shop install them install the op day 1 patch because physical is op right.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Just now, alexyy said:

Cheaper storage wise than paying for UHD blurays, Also I'll assume you've never herd of a Plex server or even a NAS? Also the last part "Physical Media trumps Digital Media ALWAYS." I'll assume you buy all your games from the shop install them install the op day 1 patch because physical is op right.

PLEX sucks balls, it misidentified like half of my content that I currently have stored digitally and won't even play the high bitrate 4k content since it only support H.264 4k. Yes it's cheaper to buy hard drives to store UHD movies on, but you CONTINUE to ignore the other aspects of taking up my internet bandwidth for HOURS on end each time I want a movie when I can simply stop at the store on my way home from work, also a NAS adds even MORE costs to the cost of going digital.

10 minutes ago, alexyy said:

It's clear you don't care for physical media so are you just here to troll the people that DO?

13 minutes ago, alexyy said:

Physical copies can not be beaten when it comes to archiving data. Anything online can be there one day, gone the next quite easily-and you never actually own it, only the license.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

7 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

Or you can DOWNLOAD the movie on your computer entirely and then watch it. Problem solved.

8 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Or you can DOWNLOAD the movie on your computer entirely and then watch it. Problem solved.

DO NONE OF YOU LISTEN?

A. that is a FUCK TON of HARD DRIVE SPACE

B. it would completely eat all of my Internet connection that is used for streaming live TV through Playstation Vue and Sling, making those services unusable

and more importantly no LEGAL download source (or illegal for that matter) has the UNCOMPRESSED UHD DISCS because the files are fucking MASSIVELY HUGE.

here is a chart:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/where-to-find-4k-movies-and-content

notice how the UHD Bluray speck is a MINIMUM 4 times the bitrate of the other sources.

PLEASE take your "just download it" crap some where else, YOU CANNOT GET THE SAME QUALITY DOWNLOADING IT. Plus not everyone has the speed or bandwidth to download 60+ GB files on a regular basis.

18 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

DO NONE OF YOU LISTEN?

B. it would completely eat all of my Internet connection that is used for streaming live TV through Playstation Vue and Sling, making those services unusable

and more importantly no LEGAL download source (or illegal for that matter) has the UNCOMPRESSED UHD DISCS because the files are fucking MASSIVELY HUGE.

here is a chart:

notice how the UHD Bluray speck is a MINIMUM 4 times the bitrate of the other sources.

PLEASE take your "just download it" crap some where else, YOU CANNOT GET THE SAME QUALITY DOWNLOADING IT. Plus not everyone has the speed or bandwidth to download 60+ GB files on a regular basis.

You seem a little upset, are you a bluray investor or something?

Also stating you cannot get the same quality is a lie.

http://prntscr.com/cky5fj That's just one of my 1080p copies, I'm at work at the moment but I'll be able to show you several 4K UHD Bluray's I've got on my local plex server, also mate not everyone has a bluray player or wants to fork out $30 a film. 

21 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

DO NONE OF YOU LISTEN?

here is a chart:

First of all, if you want people to take you seriously, lose the caps, it's annoying and a childish gimmick.

1) space isn't a matter that much, you can put up to 100 copies of blu-rays on a server grade 5TB hard-drive. It is easier to browse through and move around than 100 disks. That's why some people do this. If you take good care of your drives, it'll last a decade and you'll have time to see a failure coming.

2) I'm sad for you if you spend all day long at home using your Internet connection. Technically speaking you can download those in about 2 to 3 hours, so you can start the download in the morning and it'll be finished for long when you get back.

You know the maximum size of a blu-ray disk right? It's 25GB or 50GB as of now, bigger capacities aren't used in that context yet. That means that they're not that massively huge and you could theoretically download them.

You know that bitrate isn't the only thing in the world to describe the quality of a movie. Lossless compression exists for a reason.

You can't because it's not necessary for everyone to have each of their millions of pixels to be perfect, since most of us tolerate to even some of them differ a bit. It's always the same debate though. It may be technically better, but when you can't see the difference, is it worth it?

By the way if you want to talk about durable medium, transcript all your blu-rays on magnetic tapes.

Just now, alexyy said:

You seem a little upset, are you a bluray investor or something?

Also stating you cannot get the same quality is a lie.

http://prntscr.com/cky5fj That's just one of my 1080p copies, I'm at work at the moment but I'll be able to show you several 4K UHD Bluray's I've got on my local plex server, also mate not everyone has a bluray player or wants to fork out $30 a film. 

NO ONE SAID YOU HAD TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just said stop badgering people that would you TROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have NO INTEREST in a fucking 4k bluray player WHY OH WHY do you continue to post????????????????????????????

MOVE ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also why is it anytime someone likes something better over the thing someone else does they are either accused of being a fanboy or an Investor or working for the company, am I not allowed to form my own fucking opinions on shit?

Also can't help but notice when you talk about how hard drives are cheaper then disc you seam to ignore the PURCHASE PRICE of the digital download, so I must then assume your movies weren't acquired legally. LEGAL downloads are very close in price to physical discs. otherwise I would ask you what legal site you are getting these from that makes it such a better choice.

1 minute ago, Daniel644 said:

NO ONE SAID YOU HAD TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just said stop badgering people that would you TROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have NO INTEREST in a fucking 4k bluray player WHY OH WHY do you continue to post????????????????????????????

MOVE ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also why is it anytime someone likes something better over the thing someone else does they are either accused of being a fanboy or an Investor or working for the company, am I not allowed to form my own fucking opinions on shit?

Also can't help but notice when you talk about how hard drives are cheaper then disc you seam to ignore the PURCHASE PRICE of the digital download, so I must then assume your movies weren't acquired legally. LEGAL downloads are very close in price to physical discs. otherwise I would ask you what legal site you are getting these from that makes it such a better choice.

you pay for films men? 

2 minutes ago, alexyy said:

you pay for films men? 

You stupid enough to admit to breaking the LAW on a public forum?

500 dollars is a bit much for a one trick device.  Xbox One S still seems to be the better value since it does 4K blu-rays, and manages to do some gaming on the side.  

Anyway... due to my current situation of living in a tiny apartment, digital downloads do hold a certain attraction to me.  I'd gladly pay up for a digital storage option if it means saving in terms of space otherwise taken up by shelves.  Biggest fear remains catastrophic data loss.  NAS and off site back ups are where it begins to get noticeably expensive.  

While digital prices aren't cheap, I need to point out... harddrives can be cheaper than nice shelves... unless you keep your disks around on the ground...  And since we're talking about UHD content and playback... If you can't afford ~50 dollars of something... maybe time to cut back on some costs? 

8 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

First of all, if you want people to take you seriously, lose the caps, it's annoying and a childish gimmick.

1) space isn't a matter that much, you can put up to 100 copies of blu-rays on a server grade 5TB hard-drive. It is easier to browse through and move around than 100 disks. That's why some people do this. If you take good care of your drives, it'll last a decade and you'll have time to see a failure coming.

2) I'm sad for you if you spend all day long at home using your Internet connection. Technically speaking you can download those in about 2 to 3 hours, so you can start the download in the morning and it'll be finished for long when you get back.

You know the maximum size of a blu-ray disk right? It's 25GB or 50GB as of now, bigger capacities aren't used in that context yet. That means that they're not that massively huge and you could theoretically download them.

You know that bitrate isn't the only thing in the world to describe the quality of a movie. Lossless compression exists for a reason.

You can't because it's not necessary for everyone to have each of their millions of pixels to be perfect, since most of us tolerate to even some of them differ a bit. It's always the same debate though. It may be technically better, but when you can't see the difference, is it worth it?

By the way if you want to talk about durable medium, transcript all your blu-rays on magnetic tapes.

Yup more then bitrate there is also the Codec used, hence why I have mentioned the 10 bit main color and h.265 (if you had bothered to not just skip to the end and start trolling). Also good for you on having space for multiple drives of high capacity, not everyone has or wants that, i'm going for a super clean desktop build and will be using strictly the m.2 ssd for the files pertinent to that system and what digital media I have is being aggregated to my external drive that is QUICKLY running out of room, I don't want to have to go out and spend several hundred dollars to buy yet another hard drive just for movies, when I might only buy a few a year, also I have no intention of buying into the UHD scene just yet, i'll wait for players and discs to drop in costs just like DVD and Bluray did, but as it stands now I don't have the disc capacity to hold multiple movies at 50GB + and all the lower bitrate 4k content like you see in streaming artifacts bad on low light and other scenes.

But seriously if you don;t want it then WHY ARE YOU HERE???? Is it just to troll people that do like it?