Windows 7 compatibility

Hi all,

I've got a slight concern, i'm building a new rig and i'm reusing a hdd set to factory reset with windows 7 on it from my previous pc.

I've seen around on forums and websites that win7 isn't sometimes compatible with new hardware.

I wanted to know whether it (win7) would work on this setup;

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€237.00 @ Amazon Italia) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer Xtreme Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  (€33.99 @ Amazon Italia) 
Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€81.13 @ Amazon Italia) 
Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  (€58.70 @ Amazon Italia) 
Storage: Samsung 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€69.99 @ Amazon Italia) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Dual Video Card  (€314.99 @ Amazon Italia) 
Case: Zalman Z11 NEO ATX Mid Tower Case  (€76.98 @ Amazon Italia) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply 
Total: €872.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-21 22:05 CEST+0200

thanks!

12 minutes ago, Mrjoel said:

Hi all,

I've got a slight concern, i'm building a new rig and i'm reusing a hdd set to factory reset with windows 7 on it from my previous pc.

I've seen around on forums and websites that win7 isn't sometimes compatible with new hardware.

I wanted to know whether it (win7) would work on this setup;

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€237.00 @ Amazon Italia) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer Xtreme Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  (€33.99 @ Amazon Italia) 
Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€81.13 @ Amazon Italia) 
Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  (€58.70 @ Amazon Italia) 
Storage: Samsung 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€69.99 @ Amazon Italia) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Dual Video Card  (€314.99 @ Amazon Italia) 
Case: Zalman Z11 NEO ATX Mid Tower Case  (€76.98 @ Amazon Italia) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply 
Total: €872.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-21 22:05 CEST+0200

thanks!

From wikipedia on skylake page:

Spoiler

While Skylake and Kaby Lake CPUs are fully compatible with most existing x86/x86-64 operating systems, full support for all CPU features may vary depending on OS.[29]

In January 2016, Microsoft announced that it would end support of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 on Skylake processors effective July 17, 2017; after this date, only the "most critical" updates for the two operating systems would be released for Skylake users if they have been judged not to affect the reliability of the OS on older hardware, and Windows 10 would be the only Microsoft Windows platform officially supported on Skylake, as well as all future Intel CPU microarchitectures beginning with Skylake's successor Kaby Lake. Terry Myerson stated that Microsoft had to make a "large investment" in order to reliably support Skylake on older versions of Windows, and that future generations of processors would require further investments. Microsoft also stated that due to the age of the platform, it would be "challenging" for newer hardware, firmware, and device driver combinations to properly run under 7.[30][31]

On March 18, 2016, in response to criticism over the move, primarily from enterprise customers, Microsoft announced revisions to the support policy, changing the cutoff for support and non-critical updates to July 17, 2018 and stating that Skylake users would receive all critical security updates for Windows 7 and 8.1 through the end of extended support.[32][33]

So from what I get is that it WILL SUPPORT WINDOWS 7, but new microsoft updates for win7 on skylake WILL BE STOPPED ON JULY 17, 2018, with the only updates being critical ones. 

tl;dr yes, it does work, though microsoft will stop pushing updates starting July 17, 2017

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!