UnBoxing Fatal1ty H170 Performance/Hyper - OC with H170 chipset?

MadOver

My friend told me to build a rig for him that could make him game decently on 1080p the latest games and be quiet. Since he said he didn't want to spend too much on the PC he said he could give up overclocking, he wouldn't mind.

Well, AsRock always been one of the most overclocking friendly brands and have been on the news lately by allowing their H170 motherboards overclock even those more affordable nonK CPU's which in the end you save in the CPU and chipset.

First off, these are all the components I got for him

1GPA8dU.jpg

Asrock Fatal1ty H170 Performance/Hyper

Intel i7 6700 (got a nice sale on this one :)

PowerColor RX480 Red Devil

GeIL EVO FORZA D4-3200 CL16 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB)

GeIL R3240G SSD

CM G650W PSU

CM  MASTER LIQUID PRO 240

CM MasterCase 5

Now to the main bad boy here, let's take a look at the Fatal1ty H170 Performance/Hyper.

From my understanding, Asrock names Hyper series the boards that have the BCLK chip that allows clock change / thus providing overclocking features to non Z and nonK CPUs / memories. Even the B110M Hyper that they just announced recently has this "magic" BCLK making also a great budget board for oc.

It's funny they don't mention anything on their box about CPU overclocking, only the memory, I'm guessing Intel don't allow them

rZ7CSB9.jpg

Speaking of the box here's a overview of the card's box in the back, we already know how it looks in the front.

yyUPtqf.jpg

Here you can see the key features, besides the awesome BCLK for our overclocking journey, we also have quite decent features for a value board, USB Type-C, the always trusty Intel LAN, Fatal1ty Mouse port if your into gaming,  Ultra M.2 and one thing very important and worth mention, the 10 Power Phase design, always good for a decent solid and reliable mobo.

And now,  a quick unpacking:

http://gifmaker.me/files/download/home/20160912/00/PWMp2yQow7lV5m7BHGcRGa/output_PhW3sC.gif

Included in the box we have a software setup guide and separate user manual, driver CD, a screw for the M.2 slot, IO back plate, 2 SATA cables, Xsplit subscription code, case badge and ad for ASRock's G10 Gaming router.

Looking at the mobo, maybe I'm bit biased, but I always had a thing the red and black theme, from this picture perhaps you cannot really tell how good looking it is but the following ones you get a feeling  and looks like Asrock did a pretty awesome job laying out the board and its components.

bdfwzKo.jpg

On the 10 Power Phase, we have beautiful heat sinks matching amazingly good with my pair of Geil DDR4 EVO Forza. Killer combo! Also you can see the BCLK chipset just above the Fatal1ty logo and near the Fan Header (by the way, this mobo has 6, 4 pin Fan headers, plenty of cooling possible and all controlled by the UEFI bios.)

3JWlEHH.jpg

I pickup up the Geil EVO FORZA D4-3200 at great pricing. Always a key  component to have in mind to have in consideration when you want to have a decent overclock.

Also worth mention the additional power socket just above the PCIe slot, used to provide extra power to the PCIe lanes. This is specifically for SLI and Crossfire, good idea for the RX480 reference cards I guess.

Being a overclocker, I'm surprised to see a "value" board like this having dual bios! But then again Asrock always had overclocking DNA on its brand but  it's good to see they keep delivering, thumbs up!

5LKrygn.jpg

This Purity sound right here, features a 7.1 channel soundcard that is based around a Realtek ALC1150 codec, features Nichicon Fine Gold Series Audio capacitors and comes equipped with a TI NE5532 Premium Headset Amplifier with support for headphones up to 600Ohms. Pretty good for a onboard sound "card", I will have to test that later on.

K4vmZ2k.jpg

Plenty of connectivity here:

Rear Panel I/O– 1 x PS/2 Mouse/Keyboard Port

– 1 x DVI-D Port

– 1 x HDMI Port

– 1 x Optical SPDIF Out Port

– 1 x USB 2.0 Port (Supports ESD Protection (ASRock Full Spike Protection))

– 1 x Fatal1ty Mouse Port (USB 2.0) (Supports ESD Protection (ASRock Full Spike Protection))

– 5 x USB 3.0 Type-A Ports (Supports ESD Protection (ASRock Full Spike Protection))

– 1 x USB 3.0 Type-C Port (Supports ESD Protection (ASRock Full Spike Protection))

– 1 x RJ-45 LAN Port with LED (ACT/LINK LED and SPEED LED)

– HD Audio Jacks: Rear Speaker / Central / Bass / Line in / Front Speaker / Microphone Other Features /

TFcsJXE.jpg

Besides having a ton of storage connectivity (6 SATA 6Gbs ports and 2 SATA Express ). you will find this board features Ultra M.2 boosting 32Gbs! There was a time that this didn't made much sense on a value board since M.2 storage was crazy expensive but these days the prices have been going down quite and easily find a decent value option.

9wf6y3u.jpg

T4vPYp0.jpg

Picking  ASRock Fatal1ty H170 Performance was a no brainier, considering being on budget! Paying around 100 bucks for this board instead of 150$ for say the a  Z170 mobo, while not losing the overclocking ability makes perfect sense. Later on post my experiences and probably a guide how to overclock a NonK CPU and memory using a H170 Hyper motherboard, this board has tons of overclocking options and features.

So stay tuned.

Asrock sponsored?

Main system:

i7 6700k @4.8ghz 1.45v

ROG Maximus Hero VIII

Gigabyte G1 980ti Sli @1500 ghz

Samsung 950 pro 512gb

16gb G.Skill Ripjawz V @3400mhz 

Corsair H115i 280mm AIO

Corsair 400c Case

Corsair RM1000i

Backup/Older/Toys:

Intel i3 6100 @4.6ghz 1.52v

Asrock B150M Pro4/Hyper

Intel 750 series 400gb

Radeon Rx 470 XFX

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm AIO 

inWin 303 case

AMD Phenom II x4 940 @3.9ghz 1.65v

Gigabyte 780g mobo

Corsair H100 240mm AIO

Corsair Dominiator 8gb DDR2 @1066

Evga GTX 750ti FTW @1450mhz

Thermaltake Matrix case (modded)

"The best way to look stylish on a budget is to try second-hand, bargain hunting, and vintage" 

Well, AsRock always been one of the most overclocking friendly brands and have been on the news lately by allowing their H170 motherboards overclock even those more affordable nonK CPU's which in the end you save in the CPU and chipset.

Speaking of the box here's a overview of the card's box in the back, we already know how it looks in the front.

ere you can see the key features, besides the awesome BCLK for our overclocking journey, we also have quite decent features for a value board, USB Type-C, the always trusty Intel LAN, Fatal1ty Mouse port if your into gaming,  Ultra M.2 and one thing very important and worth mention, the 10 Power Phase design, always good for a decent solid and reliable mobo.

And now,  a quick unpacking:

http://gifmaker.me/files/download/home/20160912/00/PWMp2yQow7lV5m7BHGcRGa/output_PhW3sC.gif

Included in the box we have a software setup guide and separate user manual, driver CD, a screw for the M.2 slot, IO back plate, 2 SATA cables, Xsplit subscription code, case badge and ad for ASRock's G10 Gaming router.

Looking at the mobo, maybe I'm bit biased, but I always had a thing the red and black theme, from this picture perhaps you cannot really tell how good looking it is but the following ones you get a feeling  and looks like Asrock did a pretty awesome job laying out the board and its components

On the 10 Power Phase, we have beautiful heat sinks matching amazingly good with my pair of Geil DDR4 EVO Forza. Killer combo! Also you can see the BCLK chipset just above the Fatal1ty logo and near the Fan Header (by the way, this mobo has 6, 4 pin Fan headers, plenty of cooling possible and all controlled by the UEFI bios.)

I pickup up the Geil EVO FORZA D4-3200 at great pricing. Always a key  component to have in mind to have in consideration when you want to have a decent overclock.

Also worth mention the additional power socket just above the PCIe slot, used to provide extra power to the PCIe lanes. This is specifically for SLI and Crossfire, good idea for the RX480 reference cards I guess.

Being a overclocker, I'm surprised to see a "value" board like this having dual bios! But then again Asrock always had overclocking DNA on its brand but  it's good to see they keep delivering, thumbs up!

This Purity sound right here, features a 7.1 channel soundcard that is based around a Realtek ALC1150 codec, features Nichicon Fine Gold Series Audio capacitors and comes equipped with a TI NE5532 Premium Headset Amplifier with support for headphones up to 600Ohms. Pretty good for a onboard sound "card", I will have to test that later on.

Plenty of connectivity here:

Rear Panel I/O– 1 x PS/2 Mouse/Keyboard Port

– 1 x DVI-D Port

– 1 x HDMI Port

– 1 x Optical SPDIF Out Port

– 1 x USB 2.0 Port (Supports ESD Protection (ASRock Full Spike Protection))

– 1 x Fatal1ty Mouse Port (USB 2.0) (Supports ESD Protection (ASRock Full Spike Protection))

– 5 x USB 3.0 Type-A Ports (Supports ESD Protection (ASRock Full Spike Protection))

– 1 x USB 3.0 Type-C Port (Supports ESD Protection (ASRock Full Spike Protection))

– 1 x RJ-45 LAN Port with LED (ACT/LINK LED and SPEED LED)

– HD Audio Jacks: Rear Speaker / Central / Bass / Line in / Front Speaker / Microphone Other Features /

Besides having a ton of storage connectivity (6 SATA 6Gbs ports and 2 SATA Express ). you will find this board features Ultra M.2 boosting 32Gbs! There was a time that this didn't made much sense on a value board since M.2 storage was crazy expensive but these days the prices have been going down quite and easily find a decent value option.

Picking  ASRock Fatal1ty H170 Performance was a no brainier, considering being on budget! Paying around 100 bucks for this board instead of 150$ for say the a  Z170 mobo, while not losing the overclocking ability makes perfect sense. Later on post my experiences and probably a guide how to overclock a NonK CPU and memory using a H170 Hyper motherboard, this board has tons of overclocking options and features so it sounds like I will be fun!

So stay tuned.

I'm about 99.9% sure that its Asrock sponsored....... 

Screw the board, review the GPU!

Oh wait, its not a asrock brand..............

Linus should charge asrock for this commercial.

You guys are just ungrateful, just posted this thinking of doing as this forum is a members review sub-forum, I was hoping someone would appreciate it..

17 hours ago, MadOver said:

You guys are just ungrateful, just posted this thinking of doing as this forum is a members review sub-forum, I was hoping someone would appreciate it..

I didn't really go through every text, the pictures are good though, they probably think the review is way too biased (going to have to read through everything myself in order to see what's wrong with it)

2 hours ago, Ichi said:

I didn't really go through every text, the pictures are good though, they probably think the review is way too biased (going to have to read through everything myself in order to see what's wrong with it)

Thanks, please let me know what you think. I mostly described the board and features and in the end I found it might be a good board that allows you overclock even the nonK CPUs using a budget mobo.. 
It's my first open box, so if you guys feel I need to add more info about something feel free to ask.

image.jpg

2.8Ghz 35w locked CPU running at almost 4Ghz... damn I need to break that 4Ghz mark. :D

On 9/23/2016 at 8:27 PM, MadOver said:

image.jpg

2.8Ghz 35w locked CPU running at almost 4Ghz... damn I need to break that 4Ghz mark. :D

That's pretty cool. 

I'm old enough to remember those days you actually had a PLL chip on every motherboard and you could even hard mod the chip to get extra from that.

Thanks! Yea, before the PLL cip was linked to more stuff in the motherboard, like PCI clcoks and stuff. But not anymore which is perfect since it doesnt go out of spec, just the CPU.