Touch or buttons?

Touch or buttons?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. I'm working on a Bitcoin/crypto currency payment and transaction system. for an ATM type hardware platform, would you prefer a touch screen interface, or some actual buttons to fondle and jab?

• Touchy Feely screen
    • Pokey jabby buttons

The machine would be used for account creation, management, purchases, transactions and would require the use of a keyboard, either physical or on-screen.

"Pokey Jabby Buttons" as they usually are better for the simple fact that so many touch screen based things (like ticket dispensers, ATMs ect.) use super unresponsive capacitive touch screens or even resistive touch screens which just causes frustration :/ (from the machines I've interacted with at least...)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

"Pokey Jabby Buttons" as they usually are better for the simple fact that so many touch screen based things (like ticket dispensers, ATMs ect.) use super unresponsive capacitive touch screens or even resistive touch screens which just causes frustration :/ (from the machines I've interacted with at least...)

I would have used a resistive touch screen for the cost. They are so damn expensive, even used and sometimes non-functioning units are selling for stupid amounts. Software development has kind of been on hold whilst trying to find a suitable touch panel, but I don;t know if I should bother or not. Seems to be the norm for Bitcoin machines, but I'm not developing a "normal" Bitcoin ATM :)

Every ATM I've ever used has physical buttons.  A few simple ones beside the screen, with a small keypad below.  It works, and everybody is accustomed to this type of system.  One advantage to buttons is that you know exactly where the button is.  With touch screen, it's not always obvious where you are supposed to tap.  You have to think of old people who are dumb and slow.  Can a dump person use your machine?  If not, you need to redesign.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

15 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

I would have used a resistive touch screen for the cost. They are so damn expensive, even used and sometimes non-functioning units are selling for stupid amounts. Software development has kind of been on hold whilst trying to find a suitable touch panel, but I don;t know if I should bother or not. Seems to be the norm for Bitcoin machines, but I'm not developing a "normal" Bitcoin ATM :)

Does sound fun though. Are you going to make a forum thread about it?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

10 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

Every ATM I've ever used has physical buttons.  A few simple ones beside the screen, with a small keypad below.  It works, and everybody is accustomed to this type of system.  One advantage to buttons is that you know exactly where the button is.  With touch screen, it's not always obvious where you are supposed to tap.  You have to think of old people who are dumb and slow.  Can a dump person use your machine?  If not, you need to redesign.

That's what I am aiming for. Bitcoin adoption is going up, slowly, but the big barrier is having to cope with volatility, having to use a phone, scan QR codes, getting the things. I hope to combine the "traditional" interface to electronic money with Bitcoin and block chain technology.

4 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Does sound fun though. Are you going to make a forum thread about it?

I posted a while back on one of the Bitcoin forums, and the reply I got was pretty much "it works for me, I don't mind waiting 10 minutes, why should anyone want anything different". Been a bit wary of posting too much as the whole thing has come to a bit of a stand still at the moment, and it wouldn't be too hard for someone with more money than me (pretty much anyone who could go and buy a box of McNuggets right now has more money that me at the moment :P) to develop the idea and have something working within a few months. I do plan on opening up the platform, but at the moment it's just a personal project that I hope can help the adoption of Bitcoin (and other crypto's), and give me something to work on and earn a basic income from if the idea works.