Manufacturer ships 2+4GB ram

Deep Paul
Go to solution Solved by Mark77,

Intel claims that their newer chipsets (ie: Cougar Point and above) don't really care about whether there's asymmetry over the entire RAM space.  Dual channel will work for the portion of RAM that is actually dual channel, and only "upper memory" will be single channel. 

i heard asymmetric memory sticks prevent memory from running in dual channel mode, but i have found some manufacturers ship laptops with 6gb ram in 2+4 memory sticks. So is it alright to keep them that way ?

Yes, it's fine. 

Moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

They will work fine, but may be a bit slower(less than 5%). Some systems have it so that the first 4gb is dual channel and the last 2gb isn't.

2 minutes ago, Deep Paul said:

i heard asymmetric memory sticks prevent memory from running in dual channel mode, but i have found some manufacturers ship laptops with 6gb ram in 2+4 memory sticks. So is it alright to keep them that way ?

Well I just wouldn't buy one then if you care. Tbh I would not even buy anything with less than 8GB today unless I would get something chromobook-like but I'd just go down to 4GB then anyway so :/ Sry if you feel this didn't answer your question becasue it didn't. I think you are correct on that thought. No dual channel.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

They will work fine, but may be a bit slower(less than 5%). Some systems have it so that the first 4gb is dual channel and the last 2gb isn't.

you mean 5% slower than the speed i'm suppose to get in dual channel mode ?

2 minutes ago, Deep Paul said:

you mean 5% slower than the speed i'm suppose to get in dual channel mode ?

Depends on the program, but its normally less than a 1% difference, with someprograms being around 5%, but the extra 2gb is much more of a improvemnt than the ram speed.

If they are from same architecture. Like some memory have 1600mhz and 1333mhz with same architecture. Then they will both underclock to 1333mhz just fine.

There are other exceptions to this. If you dont find all channels in cpuid then they are not compatible with eachother.

By architecture i mean same brand and almost same name and design.

Intel claims that their newer chipsets (ie: Cougar Point and above) don't really care about whether there's asymmetry over the entire RAM space.  Dual channel will work for the portion of RAM that is actually dual channel, and only "upper memory" will be single channel. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/9/2016 at 0:34 AM, Mark77 said:

I have purchased the new HP laptop with i3-7100u processor. The means i can put 8GB ram with 4GB ?