somebody please explain this ps4k bs to me

littlepigboy5
Go to solution Solved by ARikozuM,
Just now, Enderman said:

Just fyi, stretching the image to a larger size is called upscaling.

Its the exact same thing. You display a low res image on a higher res screen.

There are many methods of upscaling.

He's been saying that the entire time.

Ok, so how, if the original PS4 was released in late 2013 (essentially 2014) and can only do 1080p 30fps, does sony not three years later release (not released yet, but soon) a console that boasts 4k 30fps at the same price as the original console?  What is going on here?

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

9 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

Ok, so how, if the original PS4 was released in late 2013 (essentially 2014) and can only do 1080p 30fps, does sony not three years later release (not released yet, but soon) a console that boasts 4k 30fps at the same price as the original console?  What is going on here?

For the lulz, of course

Its a combination of a slightly upgraded GPU and overlocked CPU along with some magic API and really good upscale tech that allows them to say its 4k. It is all programming magic basically. The games are still 1080p but then upscale to 4k which takes less CPU/GPU power than rendering in 4k. I am guessing that the parts they are using came out about two years ago thus the price can stay the same as the original. 

Its not realy 4k. They just try to milk people who eat their BS. The Consoles should stay at 1080p and boost the visuals.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

It's just upscaled 4k.

It will still run almost every game at 1080p 30/60fps.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Because it can't do 4k 30. It's marketing bs. It can only output at 4k, doesn't mean it can run games at that resolution. Maybe there will be 2d games that do it, but that's the show.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

14 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

Don't know if it is or isn't, so I won't comment.

I would suspect that they're being attacked by their community for not pushing better visuals or their shareholders for better profits.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 minutes ago, Adalhelm said:

Its a combination of a slightly upgraded GPU and overlocked CPU along with some magic API and really good upscale tech that allows them to say its 4k. It is all programming magic basically. The games are still 1080p but then upscale to 4k which takes less CPU/GPU power than rendering in 4k. I am guessing that the parts they are using came out about two years ago thus the price can stay the same as the original. 

5 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Its not realy 4k. They just try to milk people who eat their BS. The Consoles should stay at 1080p and boost the visuals.

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It's just upscaled 4k.

i hate consoles so god damn much.  At this point, if you bought a ps4 at launch and the new ps4k when it comes out, you could have bought a pc capable of much more than the ps4k.  Also, will it at the very least run games that were previously 1080p 30fps at 60fps?

I think Digital Foundry did an analysis of how the PS4 uses upscaling and a new anti-aliasing system to make games seem more convincingly upscaled to 4k. It also has slightly more powerful hardware and probably an improved API.

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

I think Digital Foundry did an analysis of how the PS4 uses upscaling and a new anti-aliasing system to make games seem more convincingly upscaled to 4k. It also has slightly more powerful hardware and probably an improved API.

It's just a different way of upscaling.

It's still upscaling.

They are not real pixels, just guesses.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

It's still upscaling.

I never said it wasn't upscaling. I even said this method is used to make games seem more 'convincingly upscaled'. Guesses are still better than stretches.

Just now, Aereldor said:

I never said it wasn't upscaling. I even said this method is used to make games seem more 'convincingly upscaled'. Guesses are still better than stretches.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Just now, ARikozuM said:

He said "guesses are better than stretches" as if the two were different things.

They are not.

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

i hate consoles so god damn much.  At this point, if you bought a ps4 at launch and the new ps4k when it comes out, you could have bought a pc capable of much more than the ps4k.  Also, will it at the very least run games that were previously 1080p 30fps at 60fps?

Well, no. It is very CPU limited at higher fps. Thats why they chose higher res (most games on the ps4k are actually rendered above 1080p but still far from 4k) over more fps. 

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

The timing couldn't have been better on this upload.

22 hours ago, littlepigboy5 said:

i hate consoles so god damn much.  

You must live a very sad life to hang out on the forum for something you hate so much.  You're the kind of person that probably hates cats, and hangs out on cat forums telling people why dogs are so much better and that no one should ever get a cat.  

The first point is that you seriously have a problem with misplaced aggression.  Stop hating things.  Get a grip. 

The second point is that you seem to just be a poor troll with nothing better to do with his life than bad mouth products that he hates on forums designed specifically for other people that enjoy those products or have questions about them. 

248838990.png

14 hours ago, TheBestUserName said:

You must live a very sad life to hang out on the forum for something you hate so much.  You're the kind of person that probably hates cats, and hangs out on cat forums telling people why dogs are so much better and that no one should ever get a cat.  

The first point is that you seriously have a problem with misplaced aggression.  Stop hating things.  Get a grip. 

The second point is that you seem to just be a poor troll with nothing better to do with his life than bad mouth products that he hates on forums designed specifically for other people that enjoy those products or have questions about them. 

248838990.png

i'm sad?  you just fuckin snipped a sentence from my legitimate concern with the current state of console gaming in order to show that you have an opinion too.  when I said "I hate consoles so god damn much" it is followed by a clear explanation from which you could derive that I do not hate consoles (I own a PS4), I hate how Sony and Xbox are acting like children, telling people they can do 4k without explaining that they can output 4k, but their games won't run at 4k.  Should I have been a bit more clear? yes, but this is an informal post that I created about a misunderstanding I had about console gaming.  If you need some one to pick on, then maybe you should find something a bit more constructive to spend your time on.

27 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

-snip-

TECHNOLOGY: POLARIZING THE MASSES SINCE THE BRONZE AGE! AND BEFORE!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

On 9/21/2016 at 8:54 AM, Adalhelm said:

On 9/21/2016 at 8:56 AM, Praesi said:

On 9/21/2016 at 8:58 AM, Enderman said:

It's just upscaled 4k.

On 9/21/2016 at 8:59 AM, Sauron said:

Because it can't do 4k 30. It's marketing bs. It can only output at 4k, doesn't mean it can run games at that resolution. Maybe there will be 2d games that do it, but that's the show.

On 9/21/2016 at 9:06 AM, Enderman said:

It's still upscaling.

Two Words: False Advertising.

I've been saying this for the past few years: $600 computer graphics cards can't even run 4K games at acceptable framerates, so when I hear about consoles running games at 4K I want to throw up a little inside. It's not even subtle fine print marketing either; back when the PS3 launched, Sony told everyone at the press conference it would be rendering 1080p games, when in reality, it only renders 1280x1280 maximum and scales as needed. (With a few exceptions.)

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 hour ago, kirashi said:

Two Words: False Advertising.

I've been saying this for the past few years: $600 computer graphics cards can't even run 4K games at acceptable framerates, so when I hear about consoles running games at 4K I want to throw up a little inside. It's not even subtle fine print marketing either; back when the PS3 launched, Sony told everyone at the press conference it would be rendering 1080p games, when in reality, it only renders 1280x1280 maximum and scales as needed. (With a few exceptions.)

The Game Industry know one thing. Most Gamers want believe everything. Console Gamers in particular. And if your Lies finaly blew off, doesnt matter. There are no consequences. 

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

4 hours ago, kirashi said:

$600 computer graphics cards can't even run 4K games at acceptable framerates

This is not true at all, it just takes a little tweaking on the settings.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 hours ago, Sauron said:

This is not true at all, it just takes a little tweaking on the settings.

Subjectively, you're right - it's not true, if you're willing to accept 4K rendering of certain games at less than 60 FPS.

And this is completely fine - it's about having a good gaming experience, and not about who has the highest framerate count.

For some games, locking the framerate at a smooth 30 or 45 FPS actually works in their favor, such as in the case of Payday 2.

However, I miss the days when game devs and hardware manufacturer's were pushing for over 120 FPS, especially for competitive shooters.

Personally, I cannot accept games at less than 60 FPS, and would prefer to see at least 90 FPS minimum. But that's just my opinion.

I'm not even bringing up playable VR framerates - those are going to need to reach 200 FPS to become playable for myself.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

10 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Subjectively, you're right - it's not true, if you're willing to accept 4K rendering of certain games at less than 60 FPS.

And this is completely fine - it's about having a good gaming experience, and not about who has the highest framerate count.

For some games, locking the framerate at a smooth 30 or 45 FPS actually works in their favor, such as in the case of Payday 2.

However, I miss the days when game devs and hardware manufacturer's were pushing for over 120 FPS, especially for competitive shooters.

Personally, I cannot accept games at less than 60 FPS, and would prefer to see at least 90 FPS minimum. But that's just my opinion.

I'm not even bringing up playable VR framerates - those are going to need to reach 200 FPS to become playable for myself.

That's not what I was saying, a lot of (even recent) games can be tweaked to run at 4k 60 without a big visual downgrade on 1070.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*