Upgrading! Need advice please.

Which path should I take?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which path should I take?

• Wait a little bit to see what comes out! Kaby Lake, 11 series GPUs, etc!

Hello Linus Tech Community!

Well, it's been about a full year since I had my computer built, and I think it's time for an upgrade. I am going to put a link to my current build first, and then four upgrade paths I would like advice on. A optional fifth upgrade path may be submitted, but I would like to stick with the four I provide. Don't think I won't consider your fifth option though! Everyone was very helpful when I first bought my parts and I thank each and everyone that helped me make my decisions!

The reason I'm upgrading? I find that my computer is lacking a little in the VR department, I mean, it CAN play games, but I notice stutter from time to time, and a few times the frames don't want to keep up. Besides, a year has passed, and new tech has come out, so I want to keep up with tech, at least a little.

Preferred vender is ASUS, but will look at others upon referral.
No AMD! I am Team Blue and Green. I have nothing against AMD, I just think Intel and Nvidia are better.

So without further delay, let's get into it!

Current build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/GoldForest/saved/jg6hMp

Upgrade path 1: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/GoldForest/saved/GDLkLk
I chose the 6850K because it has a higher clock speed than the 6800K
64 gigs of ram because I like to have a lot of mods, A lot.
Upgrade to the storage
Two 1080s so it can handle any VR game that gets thrown at it.
More powah!
Bluray player so I can watch movies
And the Peripherals because I like them.

Upgrade path 2: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/GoldForest/saved/bfWZLk
Same
Upgraded motherboard
Two 1080 TIs instead of the non TIs, when they come out that is.

Upgrade path 3: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/GoldForest/saved/JHHxrH

What I consider a downgrade to the Z170 platform, but I know that the 6700K's speed will more than make up for the loss of two cores, would love to have those two extra cores though, for extra computing power in other applications.

Z170 Motherboard to go with the change in CPU socket
Two 1080s

Upgrade path 4: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/GoldForest/saved/wX6hMp
Same as 3, but 1080 TIs instead on nons.

Any and all advice welcome!

These upgrades won't be all at once, it will be pick and choose when I get money, so if you want to suggest a product that's not out yet, please do, and I will look into it.

P.S. I am considering two 1070s instead of two 1080s, or 80 TIs, but I'm leaning towards the TIs.

I would go Option 1 for the main reason of gloating rights when people ask what PC do you have

Intel i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz | NZXT Kraken X52 | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz | CoolerMaster MasterCase 5

We don't know that 1080 Tis will actually cost $800, or that they will be better than AMD's Vega Flagship.

You're paying $450 for a motherboard that will not give you any better of an experience than a $160 motherboard would. If you want it for bragging rights that's fine, but when I see someone with such a motherboard I think that they are someone with a lot more money than sense.

In you place given your current build, I would only upgrade to 2 1080s, a 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM (you won't ever need 64) and a 1440p 144Hz Monitor

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($74.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($306.07 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW DT GAMING Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($649.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW DT GAMING Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($649.88 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 27.0" 165Hz Monitor  ($799.00 @ B&H)
Total: $2479.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-21 10:34 EDT-0400

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

9 hours ago, Energycore said:

We don't know that 1080 Tis will actually cost $800, or that they will be better than AMD's Vega Flagship.

You're paying $450 for a motherboard that will not give you any better of an experience than a $160 motherboard would. If you want it for bragging rights that's fine, but when I see someone with such a motherboard I think that they are someone with a lot more money than sense.

In you place given your current build, I would only upgrade to 2 1080s, a 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM (you won't ever need 64) and a 1440p 144Hz Monitor

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($74.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($306.07 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 27.0" 165Hz Monitor  ($799.00 @ B&H)
Total: $2479.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-21 10:34 EDT-0400

I just put the price of the TIs as a place holder really. I know it could probably go up to 999.99 or beyond. Also, considering that two Titan XPs can get you up to 300 frames in Firestrike, I don't think I'll have a problem with 1080 TIs in SLI.

As for the motherboard, I chose the ROG Rampage 10 Edition because it has 4 PCI-e full slots for future expansion on PCI SSDs, USB expansion cards, etc. I also like all the LEDs. I mean, my gosh does it have LEDs! But, I am considering maybe buy the Deluxe II or the ROG Strix Gaming from ASUS instead of the Rampage.

As for the upgrades you suggested, thanks. I'll consider that.

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

I just put the price of the TIs as a place holder really. I know it could probably go up to 999.99 or beyond. Also, considering that two Titan XPs can get you up to 300 frames in Firestrike, I don't think I'll have a problem with 1080 TIs in SLI.

As for the motherboard, I chose the ROG Rampage 10 Edition because it has 4 PCI-e full slots for future expansion on PCI SSDs, USB expansion cards, etc. I also like all the LEDs. I mean, my gosh does it have LEDs! But, I am considering maybe buy the Deluxe II or the ROG Strix Gaming from ASUS instead of the Rampage.

As for the upgrades you suggested, thanks. I'll consider that.

You will probably not ever use the additional power of SLI 1080Tis anytime soon, so for the current year one of them will be a $800 paperweight. Consider buying one first and the second once a single one ceases to max out your games at your preferred resolution

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

7 hours ago, Energycore said:

You will probably not ever use the additional power of SLI 1080Tis anytime soon, so for the current year one of them will be a $800 paperweight. Consider buying one first and the second once a single one ceases to max out your games at your preferred resolution

True.

• 2 weeks later...

I would personally go for a Broadwell E setup with two 1080s or maybe even a Titan X(P) with the option of switching up in the future

If you plan to spend that much money on 1080s, i would go dual tis because in many senses it would beat a Titan just looking on last gen

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

RAM: 24 Gib Micron (DDR3-1866)

STORAGE: 1x320Gib Wester Digital HDD 1x 2TB Seagate Barracuda

GRAPHICS CARD: Gigabyte Mini ITX OC 

POWER SUPPLY: EVGA Supernova 750G

---------------------------–----–---–--------------–----------------

PC PART PICKER LINK 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8CH6xY

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 9:59 AM, asd360 said:

I would personally go for a Broadwell E setup with two 1080s or maybe even a Titan X(P) with the option of switching up in the future

If you plan to spend that much money on 1080s, i would go dual tis because in many senses it would beat a Titan just looking on last gen

Thank you for your input.