TV question.

Totallycasual

Hi guys, i currently have a 60 inch LED TV that's a little on the big side so im giving it to my brother and going down one size and trading up from HD to 4k. I was wondering about peoples thoughts on these two models and how good is HDR? is it just another gimmick? 

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/hd-televisions/sony/sony-kd55x8000c-55-4k-uhd-android-smart-led-lcd-tv/903111/

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/hd-televisions/sony/sony-x7000d-49-4k-uhd-hdr-android-smart-lcd-led-tv/952740/

The first one seems to have a few more features but the second one has HDR (maybe a newer model?)  

I have a new Samsung 4K TV and I was skeptical too about HDR but it really does make a huge difference, colors really pop and stuff seems more real.  I have The Martian on both regular and 4k Blu-ray and the color difference between the two is night and day.

Thanks for the response, in store i actually changed my mind and went with the LG 55UH652T, its also 4k with HDR and being delivered this afternoon :) 

24 minutes ago, Newenthusiast said:

Thanks for the response, in store i actually changed my mind and went with the LG 55UH652T, its also 4k with HDR and being delivered this afternoon :) 

Nice, I looked and that model has HDR-10 so will work great with a Xbone S or the Samsung 4k Blu-ray player.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/09/2016 at 3:12 AM, johnny5c said:

I have a new Samsung 4K TV and I was skeptical too about HDR but it really does make a huge difference, colors really pop and stuff seems more real.  I have The Martian on both regular and 4k Blu-ray and the color difference between the two is night and day.

I am interested to see how much of a difference HDR-10 makes versus content without HDR-10 enabled, HDR could be a real game changer in the television industry.

2 hours ago, Synth3D said:

I am interested to see how much of a difference HDR-10 makes versus content without HDR-10 enabled, HDR could be a real game changer in the television industry.

The goal of HDR is to allow you to see detail in really dark and really bright areas of the same scene. For example this series of images is used to create create https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_mapping#/media/File:Old_saint_pauls_1.jpg/

I think what's really going on with HDR is just better color processing, like how there are 30-bit and 36-bit image formats for Photoshop. I have an HDR video sample and I found something interesting with it: if you slide the brightness around, it's more like changing the exposure of the image rather than adjusting the black level (more brightness means everything gets whitewashed and vice versa). For example in this:

Spoiler

eReGkFd.jpg

That's with 25%, 32%, and 50% brightness (50% is the default)

5 hours ago, Synth3D said:

HDR looks great on a nice VA or OLED panel. I'm not so fond of it on IPS panels (except maybe with good full array dimming).

IPS lacks sufficient static contrast to do a lot of HDR scenes justice.

Thanks for the images, I can definitely notice a significant difference, even though I am only viewing the images on a TN panel.

I agree, considering a high-end OLED with HDR 10 and 4K isn't much more than a high end Samsung LED set, the OLED is a clear winner if you are purchasing a home entertainment set. I understand that LED televisions have an easier time of achieving a peak nit brightness but the contrast ratio and black depth on an OLED can't be beaten.

IPS LED is the choice of technology for gaming with the Samsung KS9000 hitting 21.2ms in responsiveness, although that is only an important factor if you hook your PC up to your TV or play a console. I suspect that the current supply of LED HDR televisions will be focusing on appealing to Xbox one S owners and the demand for LED could continue for many years due to the high prices of OLED technology.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/4/2016 at 4:51 AM, Synth3D said:

IPS LED is the choice of technology for gaming with the Samsung KS9000 hitting 21.2ms in responsiveness, although that is only an important factor if you hook your PC up to your TV or play a console. I suspect that the current supply of LED HDR televisions will be focusing on appealing to Xbox one S owners and the demand for LED could continue for many years due to the high prices of OLED technology.

Most Samsung TVs (KS9000 included) and high end "LED" TVs use VA panels. IPS isn't nearly as good in terms of black levels (causing poor contrast).

On 28/10/2016 at 1:11 AM, Stagea said:

Most Samsung TVs (KS9000 included) and high end "LED" TVs use VA panels. IPS isn't nearly as good in terms of black levels (causing poor contrast).

Is it correct that high end VA panels suffer from worse viewing angles than IPS? Which display technology provides the best uniformity?

21 hours ago, Synth3D said:

Is it correct that high end VA panels suffer from worse viewing angles than IPS? Which display technology provides the best uniformity?

That is correct. VA is superior in contrast, while IPS is superior in viewing angles. Uniformity is a factor of many things (the light source, the light distribution system, panel uniformity, etc.). With everything else being the same, VA tends to hide uniformity issues better because it is more capable of blocking light during dark scenes (less obvious clouding).