AMD A12-9800 overclocked to 4.8 GHz with Wraith Cooler

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Maybe you can just stick your hands in there and replace the fan, after all it shouldn't be a complex operation, right? Beats draining it or having a non functioning computer.

I have to take the tray out, but their is some "stuff" in the oil. I would like to rebuild a new machine but may wait for a zen APU. I wish QDC would not break if used (rubber orings get messed up) so I could make a seal-able lid

Stuff

Dead Fly

Modular PSU sticker

QDC broken rubier rings

Old pic. Rad replaced and tubing done differently 

Spoiler

LOOO9FF.jpg

OLD thread

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I never got why amd never did a 8 or 10 core chip a year ago to hold them over. We all know silicon is silicon all that die are could have been used for strait cpu cores. I wonder why they never did that. It cost the same to produce they could have made a sku to sell at 340ish that people would buy considering how much intel charges for more cores they could have made a killing I think. They sell an apu for 70-100 the same silicon could pull in 3x that, even down clocked to keep heat in control it would be worth it to some.

2 hours ago, lonewolf5460 said:

I never got why amd never did a 8 or 10 core chip a year ago to hold them over. We all know silicon is silicon all that die are could have been used for strait cpu cores. I wonder why they never did that. It cost the same to produce they could have made a sku to sell at 340ish that people would buy considering how much intel charges for more cores they could have made a killing I think. They sell an apu for 70-100 the same silicon could pull in 3x that, even down clocked to keep heat in control it would be worth it to some.

Would you want a 180W TDP cpu in your system? There are server variants with more cores, but in the end on a desktop they don't scale well and APUs are supposed to be cheap all-in-one solutions, not the highest performance they can offer. They have been selling decently as far as I know, no need to push out a more expensive variant that doesn't even perform better in everyday tasks.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Would you want a 180W TDP cpu in your system? There are server variants with more cores, but in the end on a desktop they don't scale well and APUs are supposed to be cheap all-in-one solutions, not the highest performance they can offer. They have been selling decently as far as I know, no need to push out a more expensive variant that doesn't even perform better in everyday tasks.

Thing is, due to the enforced TDP limits, you only ever get consistent CPU or GPU performance with an APU-never both.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I bet my NHD-15 can cool that CPU a bit better than the wraith cooler and of it more while also being more silent :P

4 minutes ago, Crazy Ginger said:

I bet my NHD-15 can cool that CPU a bit better than the wraith cooler and of it more while also being more silent :P

The NH-D15 cools better than any stock cooler... duh?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

A 2016 motherboard with a PCI slot? Blasphemy!

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

6 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

The NH-D15 cools better than any stock cooler... duh?

I know that, just felt like bragging alittle, and I was just thinking that since the stock cooler works so well, imagine the possibilities with aftermarket coolers.  This thing could probably run easily at 5 ghtz on a noctua cooler.  I wonder what it's actual limits will be...

1 minute ago, Crazy Ginger said:

I know that, just felt like bragging alittle, and I was just thinking that since the stock cooler works so well, imagine the possibilities with aftermarket coolers.  This thing could probably run easily at 5 ghtz on a noctua cooler.  I wonder what it's actual limits will be...

The silicon will probably hit the wall at 5.2~GHz

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Well AMD is using compute cores because of HSA.  It allows the CPU to pass off compute tasks to the GPU cores if they are not being used, hence 12 compute cores. So even taken literally it is not false.  Now whether HSA has been fully implemented yet (in software) is something I'm not sure about.

APUs (intel or AMD) are perfect CPUs for normal users, that is not gamers and not people doing intensive compute tasks. 

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I think the ONLY reason you should get a APU at this point is you want some what descent gaming performance with a ok CPU in one package (as in can't add a dGPU)

Just now, The Benjamins said:

I think the ONLY reason you should get a APU at this point is you want some what descent gaming performance with a ok CPU in one package (as in can't add a dGPU)

I have this nagging feeling in the back of my head that AMD will go the same route as Intel and put iGPUs in all their desktop offerings

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I have this nagging feeling in the back of my head that AMD will go the same route as Intel and put iGPUs in all their desktop offerings

I see it being a big thing in most SKU's. It just makes sense for most PC users. It be cool to see a 4c8t Zen Polaris 11 APU, that would make a nice SFF gaming machine. for non demanding games like DOTA, LOL, CSGO, ect. It would be perfect to rebuild my mITX oil PC with it (zen version).

12 minutes ago, zMeul said:

no it doesn't, people just accept it because there's no real aternative

why not, I allows for smaller PC's which most people want, and most users don't need a powerful GPU. 

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

why not, I allows for smaller PC's which most people want, and most users don't need a powerful GPU. 

a console is cheaper

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

a console is cheaper

Generally speaking, I would say you're right. 

BUT! In some cases, you need a powerful CPU but no powerful GPU. (At my Workplace for example)

There it makes sense. And for the things that we use the PCs for, you can't use a console.

Main PC: R7 3700X / Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi / Radeon RX 5700 XT / 32GB DDR4-3200 / 250GB & 2TB Crucial MX500 (in HP Prodesk 400 Case)

Laptop: R5 2500U / Radeon Vega 8 / 8GB DDR4-2400 / 500GB SK Hynix BC501 (HP Envy x360 13)

My little Server: i7-7700 / Asrock H110M-ITX / 24GB DDR4-2400 / Samsung 860 Pro 250GB & Seagate Firecuda 2TB / VMware ESXi 6.7

(Don't tell me i should Name them, i don't want to ^^)

a console is cheaper

the reason for iGPU is for non gaming PC's and a good APU could play some games like I listed above that are not on the console. Also a good APU would be useful in a laptop.

a console is cheaper

He said personal computers though not gaming machines.  And in that case he is absolutely right and I agree with him.  Most of the people in the world interacting with computers daily do not need a discrete graphics processing chip.

I use an APU for my daily machine.  I even down-clocked the iGPU because I don't need it to be powerful.  I have a separate gaming computer that would be complete overkill to use for day to day stuff.

This is my daily rig below.  It's running an a10 7850k at 4.1 GHz with the GPU at 500 or 600 MHz.  Memory is 2400 MHz DDR3.  I have no reason to complain about this system.

DSC_0119.JPG

DSC_0121.JPG

Considering it performs like a Skylake i3 in 4-core loads and has an iGPU 2 times more powerful, I can see this selling fantastically in laptops.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

10 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

-

11 minutes ago, TheLaserCucumber said:

-

7 minutes ago, tbake0155 said:

-

iGPUs should've been kept in the chipset and utilized on special purpose mobos

not in the CPU where it adds power draw and extra cooling needs

iGPUs aren't yet powerful and cost effective (looking at Iris PRO) to be moved to the CPU

iGPUs aren't yet powerful and cost effective (looking at Iris PRO) to be moved to the CPU

I'd digress - R7 iGPUs perform similarly to a 250X - perfect for 768p gaming

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

But it saves on physical space. its easier to cool 1 med/high TDP chip then to 2 low/med Chips. (space wise) and AMD's iGPU are pretty good, and I think the rumor is polaris will be in the zen APU. think about NUC's they exist due to the fact CPU's have a iGPU and a NUC fits most peoples use cases.