Post Screen/BIOS doesn't display with DisplayPort

DrJones

Hey guys, so I've looked all over the web and it seems people are having similar issues. I cannot see the post screen or get into the BIOS when using displayport. The monitor shows a black screen until it boots into Windows. Once in Windows I'm all good 1440p 144Hz with G-Sync.

HDMI works fine, able to see my post screen and RAID screen show up and enter the BIOS fine. It just won't do it with DisplayPort.

I'm using an X99 motherboard so no onboard graphics. Graphics are 2 GTX1070's in SLI. Monitor is PG279Q. Everything is updated: BIOS, chipset, drivers; it's a brand new system and this is my first time using displayport.

Is there a setting in the BIOS I'm not seeing to allow it to use DP 1.2?

I've seen similar, but on HDMI

how I solved it: I had a 2nd monitor with DVI connections, removed the HDMI, powered on with the DVI monitor, after it went to Windows I plugged in the HDMI monitor and set it to primary then I shut down the PC and removed the DVI monitor

I have no idea what causes it

my guess is that the video card defaults to a predetermined output

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I've seen similar, but on HDMI

how I solved it: I had a 2nd monitor with DVI connections, removed the HDMI, powered on with the DVI monitor, after it went to Windows I plugged in the HDMI monitor and set it to primary then I shut down the PC and removed the DVI monitor

I have no idea what causes it

my guess is that the video card defaults to a predetermined output

I did something similar to you in Nvidia Control panel to get it to use displayport in windows instead of HDMI. My monitor takes both displayport or hdmi. It was defaulting to hdmi. In Nvidia control panel, it actually showed up as two different monitors: one for displayport and one for HDMI. So I disabled the "monitor" using HDMI to force it to use displayport. Works fine in windows, but I can't get into the bios unless I switch inputs to HDMI. I'm trying to find a way to get into the BIOS using DisplayPort if possible.

• 4 months later...

The issue is that NVidia cards prioritise the ports in this order. DVI -> HDMI - > DP

But depending on your motherboard and UEFI setup you can fix it.

I had a 2 monitor setup. My old 24" monitor on DVI ( in portrait mode to make matters worse!) and a 27" 2K on Display Port connected to my EVGA GTX 970. 
Motherboard is ASUS Z270-P but I know from others that this will work on other boards.

NOTE: You must have a UEFI setup, if you have an older legacy non-UEFI setup then this will not work.

If you don't have a UEFI setup I'm not sure what you can do other than to reinstall Windows in UEFI mode on a clean disk/partition. To be honest I would have done this anyway as it reduces boot time quite a bit.

The BIOS POST and setup screens would only ever show on the monitor connected via DVI. Apparently the graphics card prioritises the connections in this order 
DVI -> HDMI -> Display Port

After a while rotating my head to read the BIOS screen I decided enough was enough. After some research and trial and error I came across a very simple solution.

Anyway, to the point finally.
In the motherboard BIOS settings under the BOOT menu (on my board) there is an option called "CSM (Compatibility Support Module)". This is Enabled by default. Changing this to Disabled instantly fixed the issue. You may want to also try 'Auto' in case you have other non-UEFI devices connected but this may not work, it didn't for me.

Anyway, hope this helps somebody.

• 1 year later...

Thanks Eggy1968

Worked for me and I understand it much better now.

BIOS compatibility mode was essential to get my non-uefi system drive recognised. Then conversion of the system drive to uefi using Microsoft tool MBR2GPT.exe (via run with admin permissions in the still running Win10 environment) went like a dream. Turning off Compatibility Mode again was the trick to get the display port graphics going in during the boot sequence.

Rob

• 9 months later...

Ok guys I have a solution! I have been so flustered with this after getting my dual 2080ti setup. I run a 3 monitor 4 port set up with NVlink, 4th port is my capture device. I tried the above method of disabling the CSM, which did work in showing the bios boot on my display port monitor but then it would boot off my M.2 which is my operating system drive. So I tried this and it works flawlessly. 

Under your bios boot menu go to your "Boot from PCI-E/PCI Expansion Devices"

Select -> "UEFI Driver first" in the drop-down menu and you're done!

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2017 at 1:27 PM, Eggy1968 said:

Anyway, to the point finally.
In the motherboard BIOS settings under the BOOT menu (on my board) there is an option called "CSM (Compatibility Support Module)". This is Enabled by default. Changing this to Disabled instantly fixed the issue. You may want to also try 'Auto' in case you have other non-UEFI devices connected but this may not work, it didn't for me.

Just upgraded to a RX 580 8GB. I have a cheaper 1080p IPS monitor that I had connected previously with a VGA cable and a DP/VGA adapter. It all worked fine before with my GTX 750ti. Now I am not able to get to BIOS or my Boot Menu (very important for me as a workaround to some bad BSOD files). What's even stranger is when I connect a HDMI monitor with a HDMI connector, I get BIOS and Boot menu, but after Windows boots it switches to the DP/VGA monitor as main.

I tried the above mentioned method but to no success. Anyone else have ideas?

• 2 months later...
On 9/20/2016 at 9:28 PM, DrJones said:

Hey guys, so I've looked all over the web and it seems people are having similar issues. I cannot see the post screen or get into the BIOS when using displayport. The monitor shows a black screen until it boots into Windows. Once in Windows I'm all good 1440p 144Hz with G-Sync.

HDMI works fine, able to see my post screen and RAID screen show up and enter the BIOS fine. It just won't do it with DisplayPort.

I'm using an X99 motherboard so no onboard graphics. Graphics are 2 GTX1070's in SLI. Monitor is PG279Q. Everything is updated: BIOS, chipset, drivers; it's a brand new system and this is my first time using displayport.

Is there a setting in the BIOS I'm not seeing to allow it to use DP 1.2?

Below solution is if you have connected a monitor to your motherboard or graphics card and are not able to go into BIOS because on turning on your PC, the first thing you see is windows OS. I have this working for the following interfaces: HDMI 1.4 graphics to HDMI 2.0 Monitor port, mDP graphics to DP monitor, mDP graphics to HDMI 2.0 monitor port.

This worked for me, run the optional steps too for better luck:

1. Turn on your CPU
  2. Keep an eye on your keyboard/mouse light to know when your USB devices get powered. As soon as you see the keyboard/mouse light up, start pressing DEL
  3. Your CPU should now be going into BIOS although your monitor is still blank and not showing anything.
  4. (Optional) Wait for 10-20 seconds just to make sure it has entered the BIOS. To make sure the BIOS is up, pressing ALT+CTRL+DEL should restart the CPU. Repeat steps 2 and 3.
  5. (Optional) Press F9 then left arrow then ENTER to reset BIOS to defaults. Your PC will not restart after this.
  6. Press F10 then press ENTER.
  7. Your CPU should restart and now you should be able to see the BIOS option, hit DEL key to enter bios like usual.

My setup as far as this issue is concerned:

GIGABYTE 990FXA UD3 R5

Acer 32" 144Hz 1080p Curved connected via DP 1.2

MSI R9 280X connected via mDP/Thuderbolt-2

• 1 year later...

I made an account just so I can possibly help anyone else out there.

I was getting 1 long 3 short beeps when using DisplayPort but not with HDMI plugged in. I figured it was the RAM and swapped out new sticks, still kept getting the error beeps.

I updated BIOS to latest and still had beeps. Tried several DP cables, still beeped.

My MOBO PRIME B550M-A (WI-FI) and GPU is MSI Gaming X 1080 8GB

I was going to try the solution Eggy1968 came to but it happens that I already had CSM disabled!

As soon as I enabled it, I could see the ASUS screen and NO beeps and I could get into the BIOS with DP.

I made a account just to say Eggy1968 solution helped a ton!

My CSM was disabled I enabled it to look around an just made it boot everything with UEFI for some reason it was defaulted to Legacy an disabled.

This fixed my display port now showing bios an fixed the beeping.

Thanks  @Eggy1968

• 3 weeks later...

I just made an account to say these solutions helped me.

I had a problem with 2 screens on DP not showing anything before Win login.

CSM was disabled by default so i Enabled it

Boot Device Control: UEFI 

BOot from network Device: UEFI only

Boot from storage Device: UEFI only

Boot from PCI-E/PCI expansion Devices: Legacy only. (i did not try the options UEFI only or Ignore)

Update: Tried PCI-E also on UEFI continues to work.

After that saved and restarted and i could see the initial boot and Bios on DP screen. Otherwise i had to permanently switch to a DVI cable or put 1 monitor on HDMI and unplug other monitor.

Graphic card i use is 1070 MSI Geforce, Motherboard i have is Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero and with old setup where it was DP + DVI cables it worked fine.

New setup is DP - DP or HDMI - DP and thats where i started to see such issue

• 4 weeks later...

Well following the trend of the last two replies - created an account just to help out lost souls :D

Unfortunately none of the suggestions above worked(but still give them a try since it worked for some). What worked for me is Nvidia's firmware update tool it was created to address this issue specifically:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

When you run it, it'll tell you whether the firmware needs updating. Once it's done I was able to see the boot screen and get into bios using displayport!

On 1/14/2021 at 1:20 PM, cyan_echo said:

Well following the trend of the last two replies - created an account just to help out lost souls :D

Unfortunately none of the suggestions above worked(but still give them a try since it worked for some). What worked for me is Nvidia's firmware update tool it was created to address this issue specifically:

When you run it, it'll tell you whether the firmware needs updating. Once it's done I was able to see the boot screen and get into bios using displayport!

Thank you! Nothing else worked, it was driving me crazy. Had to unplug my displayport monitor every time I wanted to enter the UEFI. 

This firmware update fixed the problem though! Thanks again. 

On 2/14/2017 at 3:27 PM, Eggy1968 said:

The issue is that NVidia cards prioritise the ports in this order. DVI -> HDMI - > DP

My Nvidia card prioritized HDMI over DVI.

elephants

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 6:20 PM, cyan_echo said:

You're a savior! Thanks for this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2021 at 1:20 AM, cyan_echo said:

This one works for me. I guess GTX970 was too old and needed the update.

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2021 at 10:20 AM, cyan_echo said:

Thanks a bunch!  This worked for me!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2017 at 1:27 PM, Eggy1968 said:

n the motherboard BIOS settings under the BOOT menu (on my board) there is an option called "CSM (Compatibility Support Module)". This is Enabled by default. Changing this to Disabled instantly fixed the issue. You may want to also try 'Auto' in case you have other non-UEFI devices connected but this may not work, it didn't for me.

Eggy , I can’t thank you enough for this snippet of knowledge . I was going insane until I found this comment this worked for me . Thank you so much 

• 3 weeks later...

Just logged in to say this:

I've been switching HDMI and Displayport cables behind my 4K Samsung monitor for decades everytime i needed to launch bios and make it appear on my screen. I'm using Displayport as main because I'm using the HDMI input for my HP Virtual Reality Headset. So everytime i wanted to go in bios i had to switch cables behind my pc and monitor which was really annoying. Finally i decided to google for a solution and thankfully found this topic. After reading Eggy's post i've been searching in my Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 BIOS settings for ''CSM'' settings. Unfortunately i couldn't find it for some time and almost gave up. Until i saw Windows 8 settings which was set to '' Other OS'' by default. I was always confused with that part because i'm using Windows 10 and i never touched it until i read some comments on this topic. So all i did was changing '' Other OS '' to '' Windows 8 '' And CSM settings appeared. Which was set on ''Always'' by default and i didn't change it. I switched my monitor cables from HDMI to Displayport and restarted my PC and yes BIOS ''DID'' show up. No more switching annoying cables!

Thank you all for your existance and helpfulness. And i apologise for my average English 😀

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2021 at 1:20 PM, cyan_echo said:

This instantly fixed the problem for me. I was gearing up to do some painstaking troubleshooting here. You saved me a lot of stress and hassle. Its not every day you get right to the heart of your obscure and unique computer issue immediately. Fucking legend. 

On 1/15/2021 at 4:20 AM, cyan_echo said:

Made an account just for this post.

Thank you so much! Updating my 1080ti firmware worked perfectly. This bug had been killing me since middle of last year! Legend

This needs a warning because sometimes after updating this firmware the next boot results in nothing on the display on a previously working system. After a hard reset due to lack of options the second boot was successful for me. Just making the point that this is not without risk as people are scrambling to meet Windows 11 requirements.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 12:20 PM, cyan_echo said:

I was pulling my hair out for hours trying to fix a problem related to this.

I'd ordered a new Dell S2721DGF monitor and decided to use it on my old system while waiting for my new system to be delivered. The monitor wasn't detecting any inputs when I booted my computer, including from the displayport on my old GTX 750 ti. Essentially, the monitor went into Deep Sleep Mode after failing to detect a displayport connection during startup, and would stay blank no matter how long I waited. No other connections, including HDMI, would work after that point. I had to connect another monitor to my system, disconnect this new monitor from the displayport and HDMI, reboot the system with the other monitor still connected, log into Windows, and then reinsert the displayport cable to the new Dell monitor to get it to work. But if I restarted or shutdown the system, then the next boot I'd be back to square one.

Lots of forum posts on Dell's site--because lots of people have had the same problem with this monitor--suggested fixes that did not fix my problem. So I found myself here and tried your suggestion. A few restarts and shutdowns later confirmed that the firmware update did the trick!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2021 at 12:15 AM, FifthView said:

I was pulling my hair out for hours trying to fix a problem related to this.

I'd ordered a new Dell S2721DGF monitor and decided to use it on my old system while waiting for my new system to be delivered. The monitor wasn't detecting any inputs when I booted my computer, including from the displayport on my old GTX 750 ti. Essentially, the monitor went into Deep Sleep Mode after failing to detect a displayport connection during startup, and would stay blank no matter how long I waited. No other connections, including HDMI, would work after that point. I had to connect another monitor to my system, disconnect this new monitor from the displayport and HDMI, reboot the system with the other monitor still connected, log into Windows, and then reinsert the displayport cable to the new Dell monitor to get it to work. But if I restarted or shutdown the system, then the next boot I'd be back to square one.

Lots of forum posts on Dell's site--because lots of people have had the same problem with this monitor--suggested fixes that did not fix my problem. So I found myself here and tried your suggestion. A few restarts and shutdowns later confirmed that the firmware update did the trick!

I have the same exprience while switching from the Dell S2716DGR to the Alienware AW2721D. 

Monitor went into Ecomode until boot into Windows, and the white VGA Q-LED illuminates.

Since the only thing I have changed is the monitor (not the DP cable, not the usb calbe, not even the power cord), I compared the two monitors and found the Alienware AW2721D uses DP1.4 instead of DP1.2 on the Dell S2716DGR.

After update the firmware update, everything went back to normal, finally got to see the ROG splash screen, and get rid of all Q-LED lights.

Here is the link that I used to download the firmware update,

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-ca/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=dgkjr

I know it is odd to get a 3090 from Dell, but it's a difficult time to get any graphics card, and I just happen to have a friend wanted to buy a brand new Aurora, so I trade my 1080ti, along with some cash, it seems to be good deal for both of us.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 10:20 AM, cyan_echo said:

this fixed it for me too, i just got a displayport cable and i wanted to try it, and i noticed how my motherboard was doing some beep sounds and im like wtf? then got into windows but never able to get into bios.

found this post saw this and decided to give it a go, i had no idea it was dangerous to try due to the warning it says that if power is lost it may ruint he gpu, thank god nothing bad happend on my end.