Should I be able to see the effects of the aperture moving?

PIlllIE

I've noticed that only 2 of my lenses actually allow me to see the effects of adjusting the aperture, and I'm not sure if the aperture is broken and not actually moving at all, or if it's just not showing up for whatever reason. Adjusting the aperture still moves the light meter aperture circle, but not the needle and I can't see it getting darkened on any lenses except my fisheye lens and my 28mm prime. All the others appear to be stuck at between fstop 4-5.6. im only really unsure because 6 of my lenses are like that, which seems like a pretty high failure rate.

7 minutes ago, PIlllIE said:

I've noticed that only 2 of my lenses actually allow me to see the effects of adjusting the aperture, and I'm not sure if the aperture is broken and not actually moving at all, or if it's just not showing up for whatever reason. Adjusting the aperture still moves the light meter aperture circle, but not the needle and I can't see it getting darkened on any lenses except my fisheye lens and my 28mm prime. All the others appear to be stuck at between fstop 4-5.6. im only really unsure because 6 of my lenses are like that, which seems like a pretty high failure rate.

When you take a photo or during filming a video?  Some cameras don't adjust the actual iris blades on a lens until you take a photo or press the f-stop preview button next to the lens (at least on my Nikons).  They just compensate the exposure meter for the change in f-stop.

If you are noticing sharp changes in exposure as you adjust the aperture during filming, that's because your lenses do not support smooth aperture change.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

6 minutes ago, ALwin said:

When you take a photo or during filming a video?  Some cameras don't adjust the actual iris blades on a lens until you take a photo or press the f-stop preview button next to the lens (at least on my Nikons).  They just compensate the exposure meter for the change in f-stop.

If you are noticing sharp changes in exposure as you adjust the aperture during filming, that's because your lenses do not support smooth aperture change.

its a 35mm film camera, so no f-stop buttons or anything, and it's just photos. Im definitely noticing sharp changes in amount of light with the 28mm, whereas the other lenses don't really seem to change at all.

2 minutes ago, PIlllIE said:

its a 35mm film camera, so no f-stop buttons or anything, and it's just photos. Im definitely noticing sharp changes in amount of light with the 28mm, whereas the other lenses don't really seem to change at all.

So you're manually turning the aperture ring on the lens and you don't see changes?

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

4 minutes ago, PIlllIE said:

What kind of camera is it? If it's a Canon with an FD mount (I have an AE1) they did have early auto-aperture controls. Make sure your lenses aren't in the 'auto' position (there should be a switch, lever or some other indicator of 'auto' or an 'A'). If it's set to auto, it will pretty much be wide open until the camera does its thing to adjust the aperture for the given shot.

7 minutes ago, ALwin said:

So you're manually turning the aperture ring on the lens and you don't see changes?

yeah I'm manually turning it and no changes

6 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

What kind of camera is it? If it's a Canon with an FD mount (I have an AE1) they did have early auto-aperture controls. Make sure your lenses aren't in the 'auto' position (there should be a switch, lever or some other indicator of 'auto' or an 'A'). If it's set to auto, it will pretty much be wide open until the camera does its thing to adjust the aperture for the given shot.

My camera was before they started doing that, but I suppose I should probably check if the lenses are on auto

edit: checked it, lenses won't mount if it's on auto, so that can't be it

3 minutes ago, PIlllIE said:

My camera was before they started doing that, but I suppose I should probably check if the lenses are on auto

Yeah, not all of my FD lenses have it, but that could be it. And if it's a 35mm SLR, you should be able to see exactly what is coming through the lens, as that's how a SLR works. Ignore the light meter for the time being, and just see if the depth of field changes while you're adjusting the aperture.

1 hour ago, Omon_Ra said:

Yeah, not all of my FD lenses have it, but that could be it. And if it's a 35mm SLR, you should be able to see exactly what is coming through the lens, as that's how a SLR works. Ignore the light meter for the time being, and just see if the depth of field changes while you're adjusting the aperture.

Depth of Field doesn't change either 

Oh! Nevermind guys, false alarm. Turns out it DOES have an aperture lever, and it just got stuck on something with the 28mm and that's why I could see the change then. Sorry guys!

24 minutes ago, PIlllIE said:

Oh! Nevermind guys, false alarm. Turns out it DOES have an aperture lever, and it just got stuck on something with the 28mm and that's why I could see the change then. Sorry guys!

For all the trouble you put us through, I believe you should buy us some beer or coffee.

6 hours ago, ALwin said:

For all the trouble you put us through, I believe you should buy us some beer or coffee.

ill grab ya some tea next time you're in town my dude