ASUS Z170-A DOA??

mitchyams

Hello everybody,

Recently I purchased an ASUS Z170-A from Amazon, and I installed all the other components and when it was time to turn the thing on, nothing happened. The other parts that I bought were an i5 6600k, 16gb hyperx fury, 2 SSDs and 2 HDDs, a corsair 650 psu, a EVGA GTX 970, and the cooler that I am using is a hyper 212. 

So here is what I did so far to troubleshoot...

Tested to see if it would boot without gpu, nothing. Tested to see if it would boot without RAM sticks, nothing. Tested without the frickin CPU in, nothing. The only thing that I can visually see from this is that the little green LED that indicates pwr is constantly blinking no matter which component is. Ontop of that, the PSU fans dont spin, the CPU coolers fans dont spin, and the PSU works perfectly fine in my other build, and I tested the MOBO with a different PSU, so i ruled out it being a power supply related issue. 

What do you think? Any advice is welcome.

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

It won't boot unless the CPU and RAM are in. Also, why'd you buy a new 970?

Hello,

I had the 970 from a previous build but wanted to update my CPU/MOBO, which was running the x58 chipset and a i7920. Yeah I am aware of this, just was at the last straw grasping for anything to see what could be the problem. I want to return this board back to Amazon, but want to double check to see if this is the right course of action.

Thanks,

Mitch 

What was your solution? sitting here with my build: i7-6700k, asus z170-a, 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport lt RAM

It did a first start, asked for a bios configuration. I had to delay it so I shut the system down, closed the panels of the case. On next start up I got no working hdmi input anymore.

Tried so far in no sorted order:
- reseting bios

- check all cables

- used RAM in B1, A2 and B2 with single RAM or both sticks inserted (first can't be used due to Dark Rock 3 blocking it)

Any help/advice is gladly taken

On 09/20/2016 at 5:31 AM, TheRandomness said:

It won't boot unless the CPU and RAM are in. Also, why'd you buy a new 970?

It would still power on, just fail POST.

On 09/20/2016 at 5:35 AM, mitchyams said:

Hello,

I had the 970 from a previous build but wanted to update my CPU/MOBO, which was running the x58 chipset and a i7920. Yeah I am aware of this, just was at the last straw grasping for anything to see what could be the problem. I want to return this board back to Amazon, but want to double check to see if this is the right course of action.

Thanks,

Mitch 

I've had a lot of issues with ASUS recently. Just double check to make sure your power button hookups are correct on the power headers.