"CPU fan error" fan not detected

sparkythewildcat

is this the fan that came with the pc? sometimes, prebuilts are made to only recognize certified fans from the manufacturer.

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

1 minute ago, sparkythewildcat said:

Do you think that could cause an error for the CPU fan?

Flat or incorrect CMOS batteries can give erroneous fault codes and error messages, it is an easy thing to replace and cross off the list of possible suspects.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

Just now, DrM said:

is this the fan that came with the pc? sometimes, prebuilts are made to only recognize certified fans from the manufacturer.

yes, it's a stock intel cooler.

Just now, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

Flat or incorrect CMOS batteries can give erroneous fault codes and error messages, it is an easy thing to replace and cross off the list of possible suspects.

gotcha. will do if I can't fix it soon.

2 minutes ago, sparkythewildcat said:

yes, it's a stock intel cooler.

Assuming that the CPU fan is a standard Intel one, does it blow air down into the fins of the heat sink as it should, also is the heatsink clear of debris (dust-n-cobwebs)?

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

Can you borrow a standard Intel CPU fan from someone to check that the fan is not the thing that is causing the fault (may have an internal problem, bad earth etc.) ?

9 minutes ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

Assuming that the CPU fan is a standard Intel one, does it blow air down into the fins of the heat sink as it should, also is the heatsink clear of debris (dust-n-cobwebs)?

I should say it is stock styled (mounts and shape look the same) and it is the one that came in the PC; and yes, it is clean and freely spinning.

8 minutes ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

Can you borrow a standard Intel CPU fan from someone to check that the fan is not the thing that is causing the fault (may have an internal problem, bad earth etc.) ?

I unfortunately don't have any stock CPU coolers that I can borrow, but one has a hyper 212 that I could borrow.

I also just removed the battery and bridged it with a screwdriver while holding the power button for 20 seconds, then I tried to find CPU smart fan control in the bios, but the only thing I could find was "CPU Q-control" which I think is the same thing and it was enabled. I then tried resetting to default settings (which changed nothing) and then raising the low fan speed limit from 200 to 300 RPM. No results yet.

Do you think that this is a serious issue? cause I can still monitor my CPU temp and it has been staying around 33 degrees while peaking at 49 since I've lost my CPU fan monitor. Also, is this an uncommon issue? cause I couldn't find anything about it in these forums.

-click here- for some reading for you about CPU Smart fan Control

Maybe you could try using some sort of software to view the temp and fan speeds in the meantime if that is what you are suggesting?

I would be interested to hear about your outcome with this issue going forward.

hope this has helped

16 minutes ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

-click here- for some reading for you about CPU Smart fan Control

Maybe you could try using some sort of software to view the temp and fan speeds in the meantime if that is what you are suggesting?

I'm currently using CPUID hardware monitor, but it stopped registering the Fan's speed, or that it is even there, as well. I do appreciate your help, but I'm just questioning how much time and effort I should be putting into fixing this.

I will try swapping it out for a hyper 212 evo, but I won't be able to put my sidepanel on while that is installed. do you think that would be an issue?

In the mean time, I would love to hear other people's opinions and/or suggestions! Thank you all.

25 minutes ago, sparkythewildcat said:

I'm currently using CPUID hardware monitor, but it stopped registering the Fan's speed, or that it is even there, as well. I do appreciate your help, but I'm just questioning how much time and effort I should be putting into fixing this.

Try finding another, I know that previously when MS tech support has logged into my machine remotely that CPUID is one of the programs they uninstall.

Maybe if there are no others available uninstall your current version then download and install a different or newer version?

28 minutes ago, sparkythewildcat said:

I will try swapping it out for a hyper 212 evo, but I won't be able to put my sidepanel on while that is installed. do you think that would be an issue?

If the PC is sitting on the floor then maybe get it off the floor, but no if is not going to be a long-term solution it should not matter.

As far as the standard CPU fan goes try your local PC shop they may have an abundance of them, one of mine does, they do not know what to do with them when they build machines the new owners do not want them!

There should be an option to turn off the error message in the motherboard settings. 

If your temps are fine, don't worry about the error.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.