"CPU fan error" fan not detected

sparkythewildcat

So, I put a new stick of ram and a GPU in my system, tried to boot it, and it wouldn't boot. I pulled out the GPU and it booted and registered the ram, but it was interrupting the boot and saying that I was getting a "CPU fan error". The bios said "n/a" on the CPU fan. It's weird, because the CPU is currently reading 29C and the fan is physically spinning. I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in and it's been rebooted a couple times.

I'd just like some help figuring out what to do, so can anyone give me a hand? I'm not concerned about the GPU right now, and I had to give my friend back his spare ram, I just want to get my CPU fan to register.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Which board do you have?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Well the short crash course on it is to unplug the system (or switch the PSU power off if there is a switch) and look around the area near the battery and see if you can find a set of pins labelled CLR_CMOS or CLRTS. From there if there are only two pins, short the two with a piece of metal like a screwdriver for about 15 seconds. If there are three pins with a jumper, move the jumper to the next position again for 15 seconds. If there a button, then just press the button for 15 seconds again. Since your board is from a prebuilt, I doubt there will be a button to clear the CMOS.

JHA251112_BIOSrestart.jpg

24 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Well the short crash course on it is to unplug the system (or switch the PSU power off if there is a switch) and look around the area near the battery and see if you can find a set of pins labelled CLR_CMOS or CLRTS. From there if there are only two pins, short the two with a piece of metal like a screwdriver for about 15 seconds. If there are three pins with a jumper, move the jumper to the next position again for 15 seconds. If there a button, then just press the button for 15 seconds again. Since your board is from a prebuilt, I doubt there will be a button to clear the CMOS.

Also, you can remove the battery and then for 20 seconds bridge the battery contacts whilst holding the power button IN (PSU disconnected of course!) using your finger.

In addition within the BIOS look for a command for "CPU Smart fan Control" and ensure it is set to ENABLED

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

Just now, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

Also, you can remove the battery for 20 second bridge the battery contacts and hold the power button in (PSU disconnected of coarse!)

PSU disconnected from wall, from mobo, or what?

1 minute ago, sparkythewildcat said:

From the wall. Or switch if your PSU has a power switch, put it in the off position.

Alright, guys, I'll give it a shot. Hopefully, I'll report back in a couple minutes if I don't blow anything up!

2 minutes ago, sparkythewildcat said:

Disconnect from supply so for example unplug from the wall, this will disconnect the power source from the PSU. Just so long  as you do not rely on the PSU body switch (assuming there is one) whichever one is most convenient to you just ensure there is NO POWER being delivered. As you are holding the power button ON and you do not need the computer to power cycle!

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

In addition within the BIOS look for a command for the "CPU Smart fan Control" and ensure it is set to ENABLED

So, I unplugged my PSU from the cable, found 3 pins labeled CLRTC (I noticed you said it was CLRTS, was that a typo?) and two of the pins on the left were covered with a jumper. I moved the jumper so it covered the middle and rightmost pin for 15-20 seconds and then I moved it back. I'm still getting the same error with no fan recognized in BIOS. should I try to find the fan control thing in bios now, or try bridging the battery?

If the problem is not fixed you will need to keep trying different things until a result is found it is called "trial and error" fault finding.

Another thing to check is that header that you are connecting the CPU fan into is actually marked as the CPU header fan controller, not an auxiliary fan header?

If the problem is not fixed you will need to keep trying different things until a result is found it is called "trial and error" fault finding.

Well, I understand that, I'm just clueless as to how to proceed. If left to poke around unguided, my PC would be entirely ruined in a matter of minutes.

My experience is just limited enough that I don't know what could be causing this, nor how to check for or possibly fix the problem.

Edited by sparkythewildcat
adding in quote for context

and yes, I can confirm CPU fan is connected to the CPU fan header. It was also not unplugged before/when/since this issue arose.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

2 minutes ago, sparkythewildcat said:

My experience is just limited enough that I don't know what could be causing this, nor how to check for or possibly fix the problem.

That my friend* is called trial by fire and brimstone, but they both can share the same outcome in that they will contribute to your expanding knowledge base for any future diagnosis!

Another thing to check is if the CMOS battery has reached the end of its lifecycle (is it flat)?

Another thing to check is if the CMOS battery has reached the end of its lifecycle (is it flat)?

flat? dumb question, but physically, or???

Just now, sparkythewildcat said:

flat? dumb question, but physically, or???

Buy a replacement one if you do not know when it was last replaced, the battery does NOT get recharged in its socket and eventually all the power in the battery circuit depletes i.e. is considered "flat" because it has run out of charge not "flat" because of it physically being a button battery!

I was just unsure because you didn't indicate how to check if it still held a charge, however, I don't believe it is the battery, because I've only had the PC for about 7 months, but I suppose I could still get a new one.

Do you think that could cause an error for the CPU fan?

Another thing before I get back the study work I should be doing...Is it possible to swap the direction of the fan header cable on the actual header itself?