iPhone 7's lightning cable is not better than 3.5 mm headphone jack

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

The point is that it's digital, not that it's more durable.

By that metric Windows is the best operating system by a country mile.

shots fired!

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Windows Phone masterrace.

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

52 minutes ago, Sauron said:

By that metric Windows is the best operating system by a country mile.

Most people who are using windows do "enjoy" using windows (and/or they use it because they have no other choice). So you're technically right, I should have been more explicit: 

When a product has competition, a product will only sell (in the long term) if people enjoy using it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

28 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Most people who are using windows do "enjoy" using windows (and/or they use it because they have no other choice). So you're technically right, I should have been more explicit: 

When a product has competition, a product will only sell (in the long term) if people enjoy using it. 

I agree with ur statement. BUT there's a catch tho. Iphone7 brings so many other benefits: stereo speaker (>all other competitor from Android), water proofing (>all other competitor proof from another post in News today), a more powerful chipset (even tho a SD820 is fast enough) and a reportly much better screen as well (i didnt read the detail only the title).

So it brings so many other good staff with it but with one flaw: the removing of the 3.5mm jack, which brings no benefit in sound quality. So this part of the change dont have benefit and in fact limit users choice and force them to carry a adapter or invest into 160 dollar wirless or another pair of lighting headphone (given they dont wanna use the one come with the box).

the benefit iphone7 bring to some ppl if not most is bigger than this flaw, but to me and some other ppl in this thread it isn't. And issue raises here: even if they remove the 3.5mm jack they offer other good staff so ppl still buy them (plus fanboys) and the sell is still huge which make other company copy iphone7 and remove the jack too, and forces ppl to adapt to a new product which provide nothing beneficial. This is what worries me. I really hope other companies dont copy this dumb move but since Samsung is already considering removing the 3.5mm jack too it worries me that 3.5mm will go away :(

20 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

I agree with ur statement. BUT there's a catch tho. Iphone7 brings so many other benefits: stereo speaker (>all other competitor from Android), water proofing (>all other competitor proof from another post in News today), a more powerful chipset (even tho a SD820 is fast enough) and a reportly much better screen as well (i didnt read the detail only the title).

So it brings so many other good staff with it but with one flaw: the removing of the 3.5mm jack, which brings no benefit in sound quality. So this part of the change dont have benefit and in fact limit users choice and force them to carry a adapter or invest into 160 dollar wirless or another pair of lighting headphone (given they dont wanna use the one come with the box).

the benefit iphone7 bring to some ppl if not most is bigger than this flaw, but to me and some other ppl in this thread it isn't. And issue raises here: even if they remove the 3.5mm jack they offer other good staff so ppl still buy them (plus fanboys) and the sell is still huge which make other company copy iphone7 and remove the jack too, and forces ppl to adapt to a new product which provide nothing beneficial. This is what worries me. I really hope other companies dont copy this dumb move but since Samsung is already considering removing the 3.5mm jack too it worries me that 3.5mm will go away :(

What's the point of Stereo speakers when they are side-by-side at the bottom of the phone? Especially when some Android devices have speakers on the top and bottom of the phone? And considering that the water proofing on the iPhone 7 won't actually last long, the fact that Apple removed a feature that all bar 1 other device has (and used their proprietary connector to do so), the camera and screen quality being the same, and it still lacking expandable storage while having a camera that can record 4K video, and while all competing flagship phones have expandable storage...what's the good stuff again? 

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I never assumed that the decision was driven by the desire for more audio quality, but that's not to say it couldn't be better.  It could also be worse.  It entirely depends on the quality of the dac and amp you end up using, be it the one in their little "adapter", or the one provided with the first pair of "lightning headphones" you buy.  Keep in mind that people looking for high quality audio often spend $100 or more on each of those components, so (to all of those who were expecting higher quality) if you think you're gonna get a miracle for $40 or something like that, well... you may have been expecting too much :) 

Edit: It's worth adding that in the vast majority of cases, I suspect that the "bottleneck", if you will, for audio quality was the headphones people are using, not the dac/amp equipment in the phone.  This is certainly true 100% if you were using the bundled ear buds or anything like them.

NOTICE OF ERRATA: After the tear down of the iPhone 7's lightning to headphone jack that revealed it has a small DAC, they made another video to correct it but the fact of the matter remains, the iPhone 7 still doesn't produce better audio performance than the headphone jack.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

18 hours ago, QueenDemetria said:

Does anyone remember when I said "all you are doing is moving the DAC/AMP, nothing will change", looks like I'm right. I have more to say on the matter, just on a later date.

except costs of course

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 hour ago, Devin92 said:

You can also use any wireless headphones, you're not limited to airpods (or deal with the adapter, which really isn't an issue for most people since they only have 1 pair of headphones to use with their phone so the adapter can just stay on their headphones forever).

Fanboys won't stay fanboys to a company of they have bad experiences.

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

What's the point of Stereo speakers when they are side-by-side at the bottom of the phone? Especially when some Android devices have speakers on the top and bottom of the phone? And considering that the water proofing on the iPhone 7 won't actually last long, the fact that Apple removed a feature that all bar 1 other device has (and used their proprietary connector to do so), the camera and screen quality being the same, and it still lacking expandable storage while having a camera that can record 4K video, and while all competing flagship phones have expandable storage...what's the good stuff again? 

The stereo speakers aren't side by side on the bottom. The bottom left "speaker" grill is for the barometer. The stereo speakers are in the bottom right grill and the earpiece. 

The water proofing will last so long as you don't intentionally try to bend your phone. They removed a feature which won't really inconvenience a lot of people (myself for example). Faster CPU/GPU, iOS, excellent support, good integration with OSX. Cheap cloud storage ($1/month for 50gb with very good auto-syncing of videos/pictures), 3D touch, dual cameras, ip67 (68?+), touchID, very good screen, build quality, etc.... 

Sure, the iPhone is bested in some areas, but there is no one phone that bests it across the board. There will always be pros and cons to every possible device/comparison you look at. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

NOTICE OF ERRATA: After the tear down of the iPhone 7's lightning to headphone jack that revealed it has a small DAC, they made another video to correct it but the fact of the matter remains, the iPhone 7 still doesn't produce better audio performance than the headphone jack

That bolded part is what I'm specifically replying to.... what!?  I'll just restate my original quote here since there seems to still be some confusion...

23 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That statement doesn't even really make sense... they're different types of connections capable of and designed for different things, and furthermore, the quality of the sound has (ironically, unlike the headphone jack system) nothing to do with the cable in the case of using lightning.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.