iPhone 7's lightning cable is not better than 3.5 mm headphone jack

As it turns out, Apple's lightning cable is not better than the standard audio jack http://pocketnow.com/2016/09/17/lightning-connector-headphone-quality

Maybe a commentary from Luke and Linus for the WAN show. @Slick @LinusTech

NOTICE OF ERRATA: After the tear down of the iPhone 7's lightning to headphone jack that revealed it has a small DAC, they made another video to correct it but the fact of the matter remains, the iPhone 7 still doesn't produce better audio performance than the headphone jack.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

As it turns out, Apple's lightning cable is not better than the standard audio jack http://pocketnow.com/2016/09/17/lightning-connector-headphone-quality

Maybe a commentary from Luke and Linus for the WAN show.

All they really did with it is moved the dac and amp for the 3.5mm audio jack into the lightning headphones connector, there's not going to be much difference between the two except for the 3.5mm audio jack being the superior connector for audio.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

17 minutes ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

android master race 

Just wait for it...

18 minutes ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

android master race 

Indeed. Hail the glorious android master race!

29 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

That statement doesn't even really make sense... they're different types of connections capable of and designed for different things, and furthermore, the quality of the sound has (ironically, unlike the headphone jack system) nothing to do with the cable in the case of using lightning.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

-snippity-

Let's be honest here, if you were expecting an improvement from an adapter that size, then you should be ashamed.

The words improvement and adapter don't always go well together.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Exactly.

Shhhh, don't tell Apple that, let them go full retard until they exhaust their billions.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Wasn't this fact already established in Linus' review of the Sine's? The conclusion of which is pretty indicative of everything wrong with Techno-Utopianism?

I'm not up to date, what are the benefits of having a lightning cable?

Recent games -- LoL, FO4, TESV, XCOM 2, Life is Strange, Overwatch, Ark, Total War Attila, Hearthstone.  <(^^,)>

51 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Maybe a commentary from Luke and Linus for the WAN show.

I agree with a lot of his points the issue removing the headphone jack causes.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That statement doesn't even really make sense... they're different types of connections capable of and designed for different things, and furthermore, the quality of the sound has (ironically, unlike the headphone jack system) nothing to do with the cable in the case of using lightning.

4c66bda44baf4869637c26fec7df6cff.png  

Who would have imagined that digital audio would provide no tangible benefit to the user?

But given the fact that so many people speculated that the reason to ditch the headphone jack is for audio quality, good thing someone refuted it. 

iphone 7.gif

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

7 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

Does anyone remember when I said "all you are doing is moving the DAC/AMP, nothing will change", looks like I'm right. I have more to say on the matter, just on a later date.

There are tangible benefits to having the DAC/AMP in the headphones as they can put higher end gear in the headphones. I just watched the video for like two seconds and it sounds like he was using a standard 3.5mm pair of headphones (which, of course, would see no benefit from a lightning connection as it's still essentially the same 3.5mm connection internally). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I wasn't aware that Apple actually cared about sound quality beyond what the general consumer thought was acceptable. Or am I wrong?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

20 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

There are tangible benefits to having the DAC/AMP in the headphones as they can put higher end gear in the headphones. I just watched the video for like two seconds and it sounds like he was using a standard 3.5mm pair of headphones (which, of course, would see no benefit from a lightning connection as it's still essentially the same 3.5mm connection internally). 

Or you could just put that "higher end gear" inside the phone and all of a sudden you got better sound on all headphones you plug in, and the headphones are cheaper. 

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

Definitely, there could be really good DAC/AMPs that use lightning or even micro USB/type C, but I just didn't expect Apples included adapter or similar "compact" adapters to be better than an internal DAC/AMP. Even with phone's like the Axon 7 my SoundBlaster E1 is still way better than the internal setup, but I know the market will get flooded with low quality adapters that aren't any better than internal setups. I really wish OPPO/Lenovo/Apple/soontobeSamsung thought this out before making it a reality.

3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Shhhh, don't tell Apple that, let them go full retard until they exhaust their billions.

They won't. Idiots will still buy their products no matter how shitty they are.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Or you could just put that "higher end gear" inside the phone and all of a sudden you got better sound on all headphones you plug in, and the headphones are cheaper. 

Or you put the higher end gear in the headphones and the headphones sound better on all devices they're used with and all your other devices are cheaper. The argument works both ways. 

3 minutes ago, totjup5 said:

They won't. Idiots will still buy their products no matter how shitty they are.

*hint* It's because they aren't shitty *hint* 

Things sell when people enjoy using those things. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Or you put the higher end gear in the headphones and the headphones sound better on all devices they're used with and all your other devices are cheaper. The argument works both ways. 

*hint* It's because they aren't shitty *hint* 

Things sell when people enjoy using those things. 

Logic does not belong on these forums. Out with your blasphemy!