Antergos or Fedora

So with starting Java at uni I am looking at a new semi bleeding edge distribution but I can't decide on either rolling or release based so for a student which would you suggest. Fedora or Antergos? Main tools I need are inteliJ and Vim but that's on all distros

What would you suggest for a student

Thanks

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

13 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

such a stupid name tho

what?

13 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id go fedora as it has better support.

Antergos is basically prepackaged arch, it has plenty of high quality support. I'd go for manjaro over antergos though (and obviously straight arch if the user feels up to it).

Fedora gets good support about 5-6 months after release, on launch day people are a bit like "huh? a new fedora? wut" and will probably be unable to answer your questions.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Why not dual boot both? I used to have win 8 and 10 and ubuntu at the same time. It is not hard. After reset I got elementray os and ubuntu

14 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

such a stupid name tho

genuine-indiana-jones-fedora-hat-xl.jpg

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Jorgen297 said:

-snip-

They can name whatever they want.

https://www.organicfacts.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Mint2.jpg

https://a2ua.com/elementary/elementary-007.jpg

17 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

such a stupid name tho

Fedora is called Fedora because its the same hat Red Hat uses for its logo I believe :), makes sense

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

genuine-indiana-jones-fedora-hat-xl.jpg

Harrison Ford.

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Antergos is basically prepackaged arch, it has plenty of high quality support

What i meanby support is packages. There are many programs that will have rpm's and deb's, for example chrome. You can often get these to work, but it can be a pain.

If you want commerical(paid) support, you best bet is redhat or ubuntu.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What i meanby support is packages. There are many programs that will have rpm's and deb's, for example chrome. You can often get these to work, but it can be a pain.

But then the AUR or maybe even Alien steps in to cover you I believe.

I agree sometimes pre-packaged software can be easier in a pinch but personally I have never not found software I needed in Arch when I used it for a time, same with Fedora thanks to Fedy

12 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Arch has pretty much everything. What isn't in the official repos is in the AUR, and I doubt he's looking into paid support.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

48 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Arch has pretty much everything. What isn't in the official repos is in the AUR, and I doubt he's looking into paid support.

Nope, cant afford paid support lol, plus chances are I could find a fix way before I got through to a help desk.

I've used both, and I prefer Fedora by miles. Antergos is (in my opinion) a sloppy, unpolished distro, and I'm not a fan. If you want to use Arch, download Arch itself, ArchBang, or Manjaro. Fedora on the other hand, is extremely stable, and has the added bonus of being very up to date (compared to Debian or something). I also really recommend OpenSUSE, for the same reasons as Fedora

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

On 20/09/2016 at 1:18 PM, steezemageeze said:

I've used both, and I prefer Fedora by miles. Antergos is (in my opinion) a sloppy, unpolished distro, and I'm not a fan. If you want to use Arch, download Arch itself, ArchBang, or Manjaro. Fedora on the other hand, is extremely stable, and has the added bonus of being very up to date (compared to Debian or something). I also really recommend OpenSUSE, for the same reasons as Fedora

The fact Fedora is paid by RHEL I think lends its self to stability, But I hear they have a very rocky upgrade process.

1 hour ago, XDroidie626 said:

The fact Fedora is paid by RHEL I think lends its self to stability, But I hear they have a very rocky upgrade process.

Haven't dealt with an update on Fedora yet (Used 23 for a while, distro hopped, then installed 24) but I version upgrades almost never go super smoothly. I'll be interested to see how 24-25 goes for me now.

I also agree with you on that Fedora's RHEL roots lends itself to stability, same goes for OpenSUSE & SUSE Enterprise

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01