Project Forged: Handforged computercase

Herman9k

MtOqsQj.jpg

Project Forged

This case is meant as a tribute to my biggest interests; technology and blacksmithing. It took me the better part of two months to draw, with the challenge of combining the two into one uniform expression. It is the culmination of 3,5 years of grinding away in a smithy in Kramfors, northern Sweden, and HOPEFULLY good enough to grant me the Journeyman-letter in blacksmithing.

Form and constraint

Building a case from bottom-up is as simple as it is difficult. It is possible to make a working case out of a cereal-box in an hour, but you can also spend a hundred hours making sure your cable-management is picture perfect. I myself has never done much more then mounting components into an existing case, so the step to making a scratch-build was rather big. When i sat down to draw i gave myself a couple of guidelines:

1. Form over function.

2. Not a lot bigger then a regular midi-tower.

3. Not a box

I realized fairly quickly that i have no idea how big computer parts are, and a lot of my time was spent searching for measurements and figuring out how to mount the parts in the case. Form over function fell into oblivion and the case took on its rather sober shape you can see below. I believe the wrought iron and the circuit boards are allowed too shine, but sadly in their separate ways and maybe a bit too "safe" and sober in its design.

ANYWAY!

The drawing was approved by important men and the work has begun!

As of this moment the project is 5 weeks from the deadline.

Spoiler: My complete drawing as well as a description of the journeyman-letter.

Spoiler

The journeyman-letter is sort of a workcertificate for a blacksmith and in Sweden it is a very difficult task. It starts with a drawing, which has to be according to european drawing standard (I have NO IDEA if that is correct english, but you will understand what a drawing is in a sec), this drawing then have to be approved by examiners. The drawing need to specify a certain number of techniques as well as how much time you will need finishing it (in my case 220 hours). The time is measured by effective work time, hence you dont count coffebreaks, lunches or even firing up the hearth. Only the time spent directly on the project is counted. When the project is finished the examiners then compare the finished product against the drawing, as well as assessing the craftmanship in the techniques used. 

fYaz5Ye.jpg

AktRkoA.jpg

riD7NU4.jpg

HNWc9Bt.jpg

fYaz5Ye.jpg

IMG_20160914_100759_01.jpg

3 weeks into the project! Its erect! Here is some random shots from the work in progress:

IMG_20160919_192722.jpgIMG_20160919_135931.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

I will try to update weekly, but i do NOT have much free time at the moment. Peace out.

Edited by Herman9k
New project pic

Ser ascoolt ut! Lycka till, ser fram emot att se hur det går :D

Didn't expect many other swedes here did you? :)

“sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic still going to require driver rollbacks when it stops working for no reason“

1 hour ago, Herman9k said:

Hi people!

I'm a blacksmith from northern Sweden, currently working diligently on getting my Journeyman-letter.

The journeyman-letter is sort of a workcertificate for a blacksmith and in Sweden it is a very difficult task. It starts with a drawing, which has to be according to european drawing standard (I have NO IDEA if that is correct english, but you will understand what a drawing is in a sec), this drawing then have to be approved by examiners. The drawing need to specify a certain number of techniques as well as how much time you will need finishing it (in my case 220 hours). The time is measured by effective work time, hence you dont count coffebreaks, lunches or even firing up the hearth. Only the time spent directly on the project is counted. When the project is finished the examiners then compare the finished product against the drawing, as well as assessing the craftmanship in the techniques used. 

ANYWAY!

My project is a handforged computer-case with a very open design, with the graphicscard chillin on its side and without any choice but to be watercooled!

This is the first page of my drawing, with all pieces attached! I'm fairly confident that you're not interested in the rest of the drawing so i will keep it simple. (feel free to ignore the horrible, horrible photoshoping in the bottom-right corner, it had to be there. There's a rule...)

3 weeks into the project! Its erect! Here is some random shots from the work in progress:

I will try to update weekly, but i do NOT have much free time at the moment. Peace out.

Instant follow. Looks majestic and perfect for a nice hardline water cooled build. It really should be hardline though.

Edited by airdeano
Removed Quoted Images

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

4 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Instant follow. Looks majestic and perfect for a nice hardline water cooled build. It really should be hardline though.

I have planned for hardline, I just hope i wont fudge it up! i have never watercooled anything before.

5 minutes ago, Thorimus said:

Ser ascoolt ut! Lycka till, ser fram emot att se hur det går :D

Didn't expect many other swedes here did you? :)

ååh dämn! verkligen inte :D tack och bock!

2 minutes ago, Herman9k said:

I have planned for hardline, I just hope i wont fudge it up! i have never watercooled anything before.

ååh dämn! verkligen inte :D tack och bock!

You could always use soft tubing to start with, and then go for hardline later. Although you will have to change all of the fittings if you do that.

EDIT: And your English is correct and very good.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

I just realized that there's no on-button in my design. darnit.

Anyway, this is what i've spent my week on.

PMJIcH4.jpg

This is my L-bracket. This is what will keep my L-shaped motherboard mounting thingis parallell against each other. My naming scheme is highly encrypted due to patents pending and north korean spies.

aTw3OSb.jpg

I start out with making two deep dents over a sharp edge on the anvil, exactly 56mm apart. I then forge the material down to a thickness half of what i started with, making the bar 112 mm between the dents.

33bCdgR.jpg

The next dent allows the bar too pass on top of another 5mm bar making the backside completely flush, which is important because that is where my glass will be.

At some point I'm gonna rewrite my original post, actually explaining my drawing so you will have an idea of what the hell im talking about, but tonight is not that point.

sf6FmRi.jpg

Now it just needs a bit of filing and a couple of holes. this week sucked.

x2jzmfG.jpg

and this is why.

peace!

Edited by Herman9k
Image server changed protocoll, my links didnt.

Wow! This is stellar work so far dude! I can't wait to see more. And I wish you the best of luck in getting your journeyman-letter :D

Current System: R7 1700x 3.93Ghz, PowerColor R9 380x 1.14ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz, EVGA 650 GS

I found errors in my design!!

1FmHXIK.jpg

My L-bracket was too short, minor issue.

cNQRsvb.jpg
NH85Ztk.jpg

Then i sort of blacked out when i realized something was very wrong, luckily i only had to remake one part.

6LhRrHu.jpg

Third time's the charm!

XJuhZmX.jpg

HDD-mounting, some drilling and filing left

nKdf2Ac.jpg

Radiator-mounting, drilling and filing left

YecHDrt.jpg

Aaaaand its in pieces. Im gonna have to do this alot of times before im finished.

Thanks a lot for all the comments guys! It gives me a lot of energy them long nights in the smithy!

If you want a more day-to-day update of the build, you can check out my twitter or my instagram. see signature.

Edited by Herman9k
Fixed links for pictures

16 minutes ago, Herman9k said:

After checking out stefan1024's superawesome, superserious log i got a quick question:

Should i update my log in my original post?

Haha thank you :)

I'm more or less the only one doing this, but I like it this way. Some do link the posts with the big updates in the first post.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

54 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Haha thank you :)

I'm more or less the only one doing this, but I like it this way. Some do link the posts with the big updates in the first post.

I see, thank you for the information! I guess im just gonna keep going the way i do, 'big updates' is something that happens to people with a longer deadline then 10 weeks:P

I measured a hole wrong by 20 mm.. on a build with a 0.2mm tolerance.. not good. But I decided to keep the hole and make a flat rivet with my initials on it too cover it up. Should work!

trBoTJ3.jpg
h61ucTP.jpg

Filing of pins! To center the pin I file the corners until the facets meet, then I repeat the process until i have a somewhat square pin of 6mm. To make it perfectly round, Ifile the corners to make it an octagon, then i file the corners again and lastly I make it babybottomsmooth-round. The pins will be riveted from the back of the material which it passes through.

ymyflHd.jpg

Countersinked hole, will be riveted completely flush. (dat english. I have no idea how to express blacksmithing terms correctly even i swedish, so english is pretty hard.)

upSIBSR.jpg

3qS2Bso.jpg

HDD-mounting and Radiator-mounting as good as done. It is possible to see my wrongly drilled hole to the right of my Hdd-mounting.

5 weeks until my next sleep-in.

Peace!

Edited by Herman9k
Fixed links for pictures

Tired as duck, but I prevail.

ol5CMoq.jpg

It took med three hours this saturday to drill eight holes in my "L":s that hold the right side of the motherboard and the waterpump.

0.2 mm tolerance, gotta love it -.-'

qRPDoWp.jpg
7w0jcVB.jpg

Some directing required.. a tenth of a millimeter at the anchorpoint makes a hell of a difference at the top.

GYtBI3F.jpg

A particularly uneffective monday resulted in a finished "front L-bracket".

Not a lot of forging left, its gonna be scary to start riveting it all :S

Edited by Herman9k
Fixed links for pictures

My plan in the beginning of this project was too get the case upright, to be able to testmount and compare pieces against each other. The problem withn this method is that progress i FEELS very fast in the beginning, only too slow down to almost stand-still when i get to the small stuff. Not optimal when my energy is running low.

I had to reforge my "L":s. Again. I have also started working on my HDD-mount.

gFMAduv.jpg

GASdL2K.jpg

3h1W9Ae.jpg

GRVBhlP.jpg

Tvzmkqw.jpg

8XmbbNr.jpg

ax1Meha.jpg

2ToL8pz.jpg

I have butchered an old case just to get a rough idea of how off i am.

vuuTceA.jpg

qd0lQBz.jpg

ySruI11.jpg

r5tvTaT.jpg

oYyEBV9.jpg

Todays iron is not very suitable for forging, hence i have a big problem with the iron cracking on me. The cracks are from the manufacturing process and is only visible when the iron is wrought, or forged as it is commonly known. 

Tes3uYG.jpg

Four weeks left, the progress is far from fast.

Edited by Herman9k
misslabeled pic and bad spelling, fixed broken pictures

• 2 weeks later...

THE END IS NIGH!

As of this moment I have two and a half weeks before the examiners arrive, and only 4 rivets left in frabrication.

I plan on using the remainder of this week experimenting and training on techniques i have yet to master, such as soldering and riveting in countersinked hole.

qp2HqRF.jpg

Pin on the back radiator-mounting filed and finished.

j0Et3ne.jpg

The square part of the pin locks the lower part of my PSU mount in place, when riveted.

c4mR1aT.jpg

1n7T1RM.jpg

OBMT5Hg.jpg

Imagine a man who can take photographs with focus at the right place. That is not me.

FcvjzmA.jpg

72R9HiG.jpg

OsCQ8vj.jpg

UD7B250.jpg

HDD-mount ready for riveting.

FZ3PYuh.jpg

Glass-mount in progress.

qR36aMU.jpg

I am now a human CNC-machine. All glass-mounts finished.

l4EJPbG.jpg

Cable-loops after milling and cutting.

ZBowQZw.jpg

WrIlMoF.jpg

Filed and ready for soldering, I made a couple extra for use in practice. 

1MSVF8a.jpg

RsD3Zws.jpg

V9iFpBu.jpg

tsx7nh4.jpg

Man I am ready for that sleep-in.

Edited by Herman9k
Fixed links for pictures

wow, amazing results already! it's really different from all other builds on here.

keep it coming :P

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

I have FINALLY begun the painfully slow process of assembling, it took me a whole day to finish 6 rivets. Mostly because my nerves are currently carved from a very very thin glasswire.

gIyos6F.jpg

yP97r2E.jpg

Rivets for the front done

c2xhxpQ.jpg

All pieces will be brushed...

Xyobll8.jpg

..with this machine, to remove the worst of the scales and to bring a little bit of a shine to the party.

8yQ8DHB.jpg

The piece on the right is brushed.

f8hUWAY.jpg

Preparation for gasswelding.

F7tk1uv.jpg

5gUYk6s.jpg

eXoZGEb.jpg

A little messy, but i will clean that up in assembly.

45BRNC8.jpg

KhDH1Jf.jpg

RFJAKec.jpg

kpag7Cg.jpg

qlSIpJT.jpg

Threading with a 3-step process, each tap cuts a little more than the last.

TdrWzXp.jpg

O_o Errmagerd, this might just work.

uJ0YWst.jpg

A fast trial-mount of the motherboard-standoffs.

P7f8FsP.jpg

8v7f1Jx.jpg

My cable-loops, soldered with the gasweld and brass-solder, a bit on the messy side, but i do like the contrastic colors.

ofiTMzc.jpg

I dont think i have ever had such high pulse, during such a long time, as before i riveted the first countersinked hole on the case. One misstep at this stage will probably result in reforging at least two parts. I spent half a day practicing riveting instead.

J62mF5k.jpg

0XInqw7.jpg

vQzh5Ye.jpg

bP0S7Qq.jpg

SHeFF9S.jpg

Tw6Gxz4.jpg

wG2YIbx.jpg

Almost too easy.. now i worry i might get run over, or the smithy burning down over night..

k8voM5V.jpg

tft07qi.jpg

d60MsN4.jpg

Managed to squeeze a couple of glass-mounts in there as well.

VEXGTcL.jpg

XgDglll.jpg

3AvVxQH.jpg

Bc8SioH.jpg

These parts are from my first, very own computer. The motherboard is of the brand Abit, which i have never heard of, and the graphics-card is a geforce 6600 gt. QUALITY!

Edited by Herman9k
Fixed links for pictures

29 minutes ago, Herman9k said:

Anyone have any idea of how I can fix my pics in my previous posts?

I cant find anything wrong with the links :S

2016-10-27_21-25-16.png

Try using