Ubiquiti Lite vs Pro

tuffjuff

I was wondering if anybody here has experience with Ubiquiti's AP's, specifically their Lite vs Pro models. I picked up an AC Lite thinking it would cover our 1,600 square foot house pretty effectively, but the general reception appears to be identical to the crappy wireless AP built into our AT&T U-Verse gateway. I'm not sure if the Lite models are more intended to have several deployed in a mesh network and I should have gotten a Pro, or perhaps I've simply configured it poorly? Otherwise it seems to work great, if that makes a difference. :$

Core i7 5820k 4.0Ghz (all 6 cores, Noctua NH-D15) | Asus X99-Deluxe | ZOTAC GeForce 980 Ti (water cooled) @ 1400 core/stock VRAM | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 | 1.5TB SSD | Corsair 400Q | eVGA Supernova G2 850 watt | Dell UltraSharp U2515H, 25.5" 1440p IPS

I haved used lots of the unify stuff.

The pros are faster, but there range isn't that much better.

You mainly paying for features like dual lan, standard poe.

Also the wifi built into your gateway normally isn't half bad.

What is your house made of? You can always add another ap

This house was built in the 1940's, and the parts we didn't completely teardown are using probably an older form of drywall. Not super thick walls and not a ton of walls (it isn't a huge house). I picked up the Ubiquiti because I figured it would give better speeds and a bit better range... having 50-70% bars on a device isn't a problem to me, I guess I just expected better?

Core i7 5820k 4.0Ghz (all 6 cores, Noctua NH-D15) | Asus X99-Deluxe | ZOTAC GeForce 980 Ti (water cooled) @ 1400 core/stock VRAM | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 | 1.5TB SSD | Corsair 400Q | eVGA Supernova G2 850 watt | Dell UltraSharp U2515H, 25.5" 1440p IPS

With your house being built in the 1940's, you might have plaster walls? If so, those things are really harsh on radio waves. So ideally you'd have multiple AP's throughout the house in the "dead zones".

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |

I have a similar house, what I've found is that those walls kill WiFi signals. Also the WiFi can only be as strong as the client, so if the clients can't yell to the AP any louder than they already are, you will need to have multiple closer APs

On 9/19/2016 at 9:23 PM, Steven9595 said:

With your house being built in the 1940's, you might have plaster walls? If so, those things are really harsh on radio waves. So ideally you'd have multiple AP's throughout the house in the "dead zones".

We renovated 70-80% of the house, including knocking out walls and replacing whatever they were with drywall but ironically the room the AP is located is one of the few where the original walls (probably plaster or some other material) still stand. I'm not in a position to run Ethernet/POE to another stretch of the house to add another AP, so I wonder if the use of this Unify AP is redundant... Lesson learned??

It looks like the AC LR has 50% longer range and is nearly the same price - I wish I had known about this comparison chart before ordering. Thanks, all!

range chart.jpg

Have you tried changing the transmit power to high in the UniFi controller?

VOffFYi.png

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |