What most needs to be improved in LMG Videos?

potatoproduction

What most needs to be improved in LMG Videos?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What most needs to be improved in LMG Videos?

• Content
    • Quality
    • Thumbnails
    • Length
    • Benchmarks
    • Titles

Content. Lately it's been good I'm happy to watch the videos almost daily. But there's been let's say, uninspired stretches where I was just not feeling it.I guess it cannot be helped but I think they should continue with the creative ideas and such i.e. Let Nicky V take over LTT videos for a day or two so most users go "wtf!" and also drive users to CSF and such.

On second thought the channel might not survive that, so well maybe not "take over" that much power corrupts.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Content as well as quality. I remembered watching 69 dollars case or something like that, and the jokes are getting more and more cringey. Also I'm not a fan of those 1000000 players one PC or bad ass 500000000TB server I can build cos I'm rich that kind of videos. I used to question some of the vids they make in another thread. .... And did not go well. Basically they do whatever they want. Choose their own favorite topics. We do not have a say in it. Most of the time I'm staying on the forum. About half a year ago, i started to lose interest in all those LTT videos. Whether is CSF or the main. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

I think the periodic drops in quality are tied to quiet periods in manufactures release schedules, when there isn't much to make videos about. The other tech channels just make less videos, but with the commitment to one video everyday inevitability there are filler episodes, and some of them really feel like filler episodes. 

10 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Content as well as quality. I remembered watching 69 dollars case or something like that, and the jokes are getting more and more cringey. Also I'm not a fan of those 1000000 players one PC or bad ass 500000000TB server I can build cos I'm rich that kind of videos. I used to question some of the vids they make in another thread. .... And did not go well. Basically they do whatever they want. Choose their own favorite topics. We do not have a say in it. Most of the time I'm staying on the forum. About half a year ago, i started to lose interest in all those LTT videos. Whether is CSF or the main. 

The thing you have to remember, is that they keep growing, and those videos that some people hate, keep getting more and more views.

Part of the problem is likely an influx of very young viewers who love that cringey cheesy bullshit.

I don't mind videos where it's some ridiculously overly expensive thing - that's cool. It's a chance to get a peek at something most viewers will never get the opportunity to ever see in real life.

I personally do hate the overly childish jokes though, and the fucking meme bullshit (Especially Turnip - Whoever the fuck popularized that needs to go die in a hole).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, Monkey Dust said:

I think the periodic drops in quality are tied to quiet periods in manufactures release schedules, when there isn't much to make videos about. The other tech channels just make less videos, but with the commitment to one video everyday inevitability there are filler episodes, and some of them really feel like filler episodes. 

Agreed - There are only a finite limited amount of interesting products released each year.

And once you review one GTX 1060, I sure as hell don't want 14 other reviews of other GTX 1060's that are all nearly identical. No need for that. Same with motherboards. There's very little to set them apart these days, so reviews tend to be very similar and after one, they get pretty boring.

So once the major launch window ends, LMG has to get creative with interesting videos. Sometimes they have a huge success - other times, not so much.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I personally do hate the overly childish jokes though, and the fucking meme bullshit (Especially Turnip - Whoever the fuck popularized that needs to go die in a hole).

Yeah... I am not denying their growth nor am I saying everything they did was wrong.

I am just saying that video quality seems does not matter that much to the LMG groups... That's it. 

Forum is everything to me. Right now. 

1 minute ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Yeah... I am not denying their growth nor am I saying everything they did was wrong.

I am just saying that video quality seems does not matter that much to the LMG groups... That's it. 

Forum is everything to me. Right now. 

When you say "Video Quality", can you give me specific examples?

The content might be mixed, depending on what you as an individual like, but generally speaking, their production values (What I would define as "Video Quality") are some of the best on YT.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

When you say "Video Quality", can you give me specific examples?

The content might be mixed, depending on what you as an individual like, but generally speaking, their production values (What I would define as "Video Quality") are some of the best on YT.

All those lame jokes give me cringe everytime... Also I think they did give some favorable reviews in the videos. I don't want to attract too much attention here. I don't know. 

Enough of the cringy puns. I'd like to see something more relateable with less of the "WOAH LOOK AT THIS £5,000,000,0000 PC BENCHMARK" content. But, it's different strokes for different folks. Some people will like it, and others wont, there's no need to try and appeal to everyone, that's when you appeal to no one. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Just now, mrchow19910319 said:

All those lame jokes give me cringe everytime... Also I think they did give some favorable reviews in the videos. I don't want to attract too much attention here. I don't know. 

Look you're not gonna get in trouble for legitimate criticism. If anyone attacks you for that, just report them to the Mods and ignore their posts.

The lame jokes, etc, I do not count that as "Video Quality". To me, that's Content Quality. But it's up to the way we define things.

Saying Content and Quality, mostly because I feel like LMG's product review videos should be less "OMG LOOK AT THIS AMAZING 15TB SSD THAT COSTS MORE THAN YOUR CAR" and more relevant to the consumer. Yes, they're less entertaining or delightfully absurd than the ultra expensive stuff Linus regularly covers, but regularly covering $70 cases, middle end motherboards, and other "consumer grade" tech would be a great choice for making LTT's videos relevant to the resident builder, and also serve as nice filler to the more extreme or dramatic products like your ultra high end SLI 1080 laptops. 

We're all weird. Just in our own, unique way.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Student of game design, nerd and relative loner. Been playing on PC on and off since I could first sit at a keyboard.

Still trying to learn level 1 Fireball.

SPECS

Desktop (Batman): XPS 8300 - Intel i7-2600 - 8GB DDR3 1066 - Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Asus GeForce GTX 760 - Dual Dell 1080p monitors

Laptop (Nightwing): Asus TP300LA - Intel i5-4210u - 8GB DDR3 1666 - 500GB HDD - Intel HD 4400 - 1080p 13.3" touchscreen

30 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

Kinda like a TV series that introduces a pointless new character, gets all daytime soap opera on you and then kills the new guy off and resumes the actually interesting stuff.

That's one thing that I don't miss from the TV format tbh: filler, so much filler.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I feel like they're too scripted.

Someone even writes their lines for the WAN show articles.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

13 minutes ago, SeriouslyMikey said:

Enough of the cringy puns. I'd like to see something more relateable with less of the "WOAH LOOK AT THIS £5,000,000,0000 PC BENCHMARK" content. But, it's different strokes for different folks. Some people will like it, and others wont, there's no need to try and appeal to everyone, that's when you appeal to no one. 

I kinda disagree on that. My favorite videos are usually new cpus, gpus and specially new cases. But failing that I much rather see "Linus fumbles around with server grade hardware" than "Linus fucks around with another stupid smart watch or phone" or worst still like many other tech channels, they turn to "Let's review endless and pointless amounts of overpriced headphones!" That makes me fucking sick in a hurry.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Details, the little things. Like, on some of the recent case reviews, would it be too much to ask to throw up some component load temperatures? Noise levels? Thermal image?

Some other reviewers go into so much detail, I feel LTT kinda lacks this.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

I kinda disagree on that. My favorite videos are usually new cpus, gpus and specially new cases. But failing that I much rather see "Linus fumbles around with server grade hardware" than "Linus fucks around with another stupid smart watch or phone" or worst still like many other tech channels, they turn to "Let's review endless and pointless amounts of overpriced headphones!" That makes me fucking sick in a hurry.

I agree on the latter. I don't find his headphone reviews to be that engaging, though I know what I like when it comes to headphones and audio quality. I enjoy reviews about cases, CPU's and GPU's, but much like headphones, they get old really fast. I was enjoying the laptop or bust series. It's nice to see them do something new and try and show how even small jobs can bring in a bit of money. Shame they weren't successful for them.

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

A second channel for OUT OF REACH hardware, ($40K PC)

A main channel for items and hardware "Attainable" for the average consumer..

Would help?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

4 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

I feel like they're too scripted.

Someone even writes their lines for the WAN show articles.

While you might prefer the unscripted nature, it allows them to be much more thorough.

Keep in mind, 99% of "old Linus" videos were unboxings. We got very little actual reviews, little to no benchmarks, etc.

As for the WAN Show articles, that's because most of the time, Linus and Luke don't have time to memorize all the details for 20+ articles. They script out the details so that Linus can "read through" all the important points of the article, without sitting there browsing an article, trying to find all the important bits in a few seconds.

The discussion that follows is still 100% unscripted. And Linus and Luke usually go off-script anyway when reading the article points, and the Sponsor Spots, on the WAN show.

The scripted nature of LMG does not bother me personally, as it allows them the potential to really go in-depth in things that Linus wouldn't be able to ad-lib.

2 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Details, the little things. Like, on some of the recent case reviews, would it be too much to ask to throw up some component load temperatures? Noise levels? Thermal image?

Some other reviewers go into so much detail, I feel LTT kinda lacks this.

I'll agree there. They've done that kind of stuff in the past. They even do it when reviewing laptops. They just need to write their reviews better, and use the equipment on hand more to their advantage.

I do not like the begging to thumbs up or down at the end of the vid.

But if thats the first sign of the ending of the vid, thats my cue to click next vid.

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

But if thats the first sign of the ending of the vid, thats my cue to click next vid.

For me its the last AD.

"Speaking of ...random words" Have you checked out.......

CLICK.Gbye.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

I don't see it as begging, especially compared to what they used to do at the beginning. Jesus, that was infuriating and it looked like they were only mocking those critical of it too. 2 minute ad spots are annoying, though thankfully they're at the end of the video.

6 minutes ago, SeriouslyMikey said:

I agree on the latter. I don't find his headphone reviews to be that engaging, though I know what I like when it comes to headphones and audio quality. I enjoy reviews about cases, CPU's and GPU's, but much like headphones, they get old really fast. I was enjoying the laptop or bust series. It's nice to see them do something new and try and show how even small jobs can bring in a bit of money. Shame they weren't successful for them.

That last point is a bit of a pet peeve for me as well: You can't messure success in terms of total views, total add revenue, total subcription rates on a video, etc.

Even if the odd ball episodes are not the most successfull ever they're very important for retaining the audience imho: people can go anywhere to read the latest excel graphs on the newest flavor of gpu out. It's literally not special at all. If I keep coming back to LTT it's because I wanna see ridiculous stuff like putting a macbook air on a fucking sheet of iced water or Linus making everyone cringe by dropping a quadro gpu on the table or flatout shorting a server board, etc.

If it was just Luke standing in a screen saying "I get no fucking sleep so STFU and look at this benchmarks. Nvidia wins, call me a fanboy don't care bye, use square space and fuck off" why would I watch that?

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Sorry to say, that's the YT game. Interactions (That being comments, thumbs up, thumbs down, and subscribing), are probably the most important metric to YT. They never used to do that. But it makes a difference.

Hell even if you do nothing but downvote videos, you're still helping them more than not doing anything. Lots of people also just binge watch YT videos and don't think to thumbs up a video that they like.

Could be worse, could be a forced to watch ad in the vid in which I just mute, multi-task for a moment, come back, click Skip Ad. Done.

@dalekphalm I dont do any of that, I have not even subscribed to anything, never thumbed anything, never read nor post a comment in YT,