iPhone 7 outlasts Galaxy S7 in 35-feet (~10 m) of water, survives 10 foot face-down drop (and from a helicopter)

screen-shot-2016-09-17-at-11-24-16-pm.pngiphone-7-drop-test-6s.jpg

It seems like Apple massively improved the durability of their phones though they never mentioned it in their keynote. Even though the iPhone is rated for 1m for 30 minutes (IP67) it seems to only get first signs of damage at about 10 m at which point the S7 completely fails despite having a higher rating. Seems like Apple was very conservative with the IP rating and the fact is it is far more water resistant than they claim it to be. Wonder how the Apple watch would fair given it 50 m rating

The iPhone 7 also fairs well in the drop test compared to 6S which at the time was a massive improvement

And Bonus video, the iPhone gets dropped from a helicopter (Spoiler Alert: It survives)

Iphone 7 looks like a solid phone, hope they improve the screen to bezel ratio with the next iteration. When my Nexus 5 says goodnight I'm defintely picking up a device with IP6X certification.

problem with this is that the devices on some of the tests the Samsung was placed in there and taken out of the tin can with the samsung on top of the iphone, to accuratly test this like this for both place each phone in a seperate container.

My Current Rig
CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor (OC 4.8 GHz) CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus S-abertooth 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+ Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 750 TI (OC)
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) & Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866

PSU: Fractal Design Edison M750W 8O+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Case: Fractal Design Core Blackout Edition ATX Mid Tower Case

2 hours ago, JAKEBAB said:

This is one random guys test and far from conclusive.

Still impressive regardless 

3 hours ago, tsk said:

Iphone 7 looks like a solid phone, hope they improve the screen to bezel ratio with the next iteration. When my Nexus 5 says goodnight I'm defintely picking up a device with IP6X certification.

The only reason they have huge top and bottom bezel is to accommodate the home button and maintain symmetry

The next iPhone is said to nix the home button, and their vision it to make iPhone look like a piece of glass so the bezels will most likely go in the next iPhone

Yeah...I always use my phone near the edge of my helicopter door at aprox 2000m in the air, so it'd better survive a fall from that height...

Jokes aside though, construction seems really sturdy, Apple learned from the 6 #BendGate issue.
I'm still not a fan of iPhones though. I don't like paying an insane amount of money for something that doesn't have something as standard as a microSD card slot or headphone jack(shots fired).

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Wow lol, yeaterday was talking bout this in the phone section, not thinking it was news. Well, guess the new Iphone 7 is a solidão beast.

Groomlake Authority

4 hours ago, kittenmetal said:

-snip-

Fanboy spotted...? Look, water was seaping in from multiplex holes and he placed the phones sometimes side by side on the metal bucket. The pressure and water covering both was the same. Fair year, like it or not...

Groomlake Authority

7 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

but my brick beats em all 

693092000005.jpg

Yeah well it might win in the water resistance test but when dropped from a heli it will shatter.

I think my brick wins.

image.jpeg

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

3 hours ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Fanboy spotted...? Look, water was seaping in from multiplex holes and he placed the phones sometimes side by side on the metal bucket. The pressure and water covering both was the same. Fair year, like it or not...

It was kinda odd I'll give him that but it shouldn't affect anything pressure wise (though it's recommended to avoid crap like that during a test unless you want to annoy people), now some of that guy's earlier tests were BS since he left the iphone on a charging stand which does effect tests

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I've always wanted to take my phone 10m's down underwater to video things instead of like, using thing's specifically designed for that. (like a GoPro or Xiaomi action cam in a waterproof housing)

I also routinely hang out of helicopters. 1 test does not a good phone make.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Oh thank gawd!!!

I keep considering and re-considering my Helicopter purchase due to being a clumzy bastard.

Good for Marketing.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

It definitely seems solid as phones go, if i had to buy a new phone i would grab it vs any Samsung with glass all over it 

Huh that is interesting.... Looks like the waterproofing isn't very durable though (see the above linked video and you can literally see the adhesive tear)... Probably why it has such a low rating relative to it's fresh capabilities. 

It wouldn't work well for apple if 3-6 months from now lots of phones were dying in deep submersion because random other use damaged their waterproofing.

See above, but IP68 only differs from IP67 in that it can be specific use deeper than 1m. The S7 is rated for 30min at 1.5m, so it technically also far surpasses it's own rating.

Just as LTT found. The 6S was much better than the previous iPhones, but it isn't better (read it's worse) than the later android half-generation (apparently those guys are Corning have been doing some great stuff haha).

13 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

It seems like Apple massively improved the durability of their phones though they never mentioned it in their keynote. Even though the iPhone is rated for 1m for 30 minutes (IP67) it seems to only get first signs of damage at about 10 m at which point the S7 completely fails despite having a higher rating. Seems like Apple was very conservative with the IP rating and the fact is it is far more water resistant than they claim it to be. Wonder how the Apple watch would fair given it 50 m rating

The iPhone 7 also fairs well in the drop test compared to 6S which at the time was a massive improvement

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

double post my bad

Anyways improvements are always good, and I love that every major manufacturer has gotten onto the durability train.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

5 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Yeah well it might win in the water resistance test but when dropped from a heli it will shatter.

I think my brick wins.

Sorry, but I think mine wins :

http://i.imgur.com/CqJlZxM.jpg

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

9 minutes ago, Nineshadow said:

Sorry, but I think mine wins :

http://i.imgur.com/CqJlZxM.jpg

That phone broke the concrete?!?

WHAT THE HECK?!?!?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Sample size of 1 means nothing; it's not science and it's not indicative of anything besides the fact that your phone might survive past the ip rating and it might survive a fall on a roller coaster. Test at least 1000 of the S7 and iPhone 7 in the same exact conditions and you might get something meaningful. 

6 minutes ago, Repost said:

Sample size of 1 means nothing; it's not science and it's not indicative of anything besides the fact that your phone might survive past the ip rating and it might survive a fall on a roller coaster. Test at least 1000 of the S7 and iPhone 7 in the same exact conditions and you might get something meaningful. 

Lol. 1000? So we are going to try to break $650000+ of electronics? That's hilarious. No one tests that many phones dude. Come on.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Great! Now they just need to drop it in magma and see if it survives. If it does, I'm sold! I can finally stop putting off buying that hollowed out volcano for my Lair of Evil because I'm worried about my clumsiness when it comes to phones!