Information building pc Low Budget

Go to solution Solved by Necromonger,

Take a look at what PSU you have like others have pointed out. Typically OEM PSUs aren't rated for high and continuous wattage(power). A GPU will pull more wattage than your system may be able to produce. 

You may have to upgrade your PSU to be able to handle a GPU. It shouldn't be hard. Most power connectors just click on. You will probably feel overwhelmed with the amount of cables in a PC, but don't worry. There are usually 3 main power cables to worry about. The 24pin motherboard cable and usually an 8pin eps CPU cable. The 3rd may be for some PCI-e card you may or may not have, typically a 6 pin or 8 pin PCI-e connector. The rest are sata power and data cables (flat cables) and some molex FAN power cables. There are also tiny fan header connectors located on the motherboard, but those should not need to be disconnected(usually labelled as CPUFAN, CHASISFAN, etc on the motherboard itself).

Hello people!

I was just thinking to make a low budget pc. I NEVER build one and that's why I made this Topic.

So I saw a desktop (hp pro 3500 MT) for sale for around $140.

- i5 3740

- 500gb 7200 rpm

- 4 gb ram

Would this be nice to upgrade, with some ram and a video card?

And do I forget something?

I hope someone respons :D

Looks nice, get a cheap 750ti, another 4gb ram and you are good

PSU the ones that come with hp machines are awful and i wouldn't trust it. As for the rest seems solid, somthing like a rx 470 would work really well, and go for a cheap 8gb kit of drr3. Apart from that a solid build.

1 minute ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

PSU the ones that come with hp machines are awful and i wouldn't trust it. As for the rest seems solid, somthing like a rx 470 would work really well, and go for a cheap 8gb kit of drr3. Apart from that a solid build.

What do u mean? Awful...

Just now, DivingEagle said:

What do u mean? Awful...

Power supply
300 W active PFC or regular

From the website, 300 watts isn't going too give you clearance for a gpu, plus its a no name one, so its going to be bad.

Just now, 8-Bit Ninja said:
Power supply

From the website, 300 watts isn't going too give you clearance for a gpu, plus its a no name one, so its going to be bad.

I could change that, right?

Just now, DivingEagle said:

I could change that, right?

assuming its not some custom done one, then any atx psu should fit

Take a look at what PSU you have like others have pointed out. Typically OEM PSUs aren't rated for high and continuous wattage(power). A GPU will pull more wattage than your system may be able to produce. 

You may have to upgrade your PSU to be able to handle a GPU. It shouldn't be hard. Most power connectors just click on. You will probably feel overwhelmed with the amount of cables in a PC, but don't worry. There are usually 3 main power cables to worry about. The 24pin motherboard cable and usually an 8pin eps CPU cable. The 3rd may be for some PCI-e card you may or may not have, typically a 6 pin or 8 pin PCI-e connector. The rest are sata power and data cables (flat cables) and some molex FAN power cables. There are also tiny fan header connectors located on the motherboard, but those should not need to be disconnected(usually labelled as CPUFAN, CHASISFAN, etc on the motherboard itself).

Check Out My 2 PC Builds! - Fall 2015

Check Out My Twin PC Builds! - Fall 2016 (Revival)

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2016 at 1:26 PM, 8-Bit Ninja said:
Power supply

It's not a no name one, it's probably made by Delta even though I can't confirm that.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR