Please stop recommending pseudo water-cooling solutions all over the place...

Wolfur

Neither have I slated closed loop systems but my original arguamnet is, do you have any tangiable reviews to back up your claim on closed loop systems beating smaller custom loops (or Rapes in your words) My point being if you read again through my post is regardless of how small the case is you will run into exactly the same problem as a regular tower heatsink. I also run custom water cooling and have had large heatsinks before and can tell you closed loops would not beat custom loops.

In reagrds to moving the heatsink away in small cases you will find that depending on how small the case is again I repeat its subjective to build. From my experience with small cases there are few mounting position to mount the radiator so again I don't see what your percieved advantage is in a small case over a heatsink.

The biggest reasons why i support closed loop coolers is because they fit into smaller cases and frankly rapes every other short off custom loop in that regard.

as in closed loop preforming better then anything BUT custom loops.

I'd much rather have an H100i than a air cooler bigger than a Hyper 212 putting tons of strain on my motherboard. It may not cool as well, but asthetics are a thing you know.

My cousin has the money for a full watercooling setup, but he doesn't want to deal with it, so he got a H100i so he didn't have a huge chunk of aluminum in his case covering everything up.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

The biggest reasons why i support closed loop coolers is because they fit into smaller cases and frankly rapes every other short off custom loop in that regard.

as in closed loop preforming better then anything BUT custom loops.

In that sentence it does not say what you are trying portray though and thats what I'm pointing out.

Core - EVGA Classified 3 | i7 980x | 12GB Corsair Dominator GT | Lian Li P80 | Corsair 128 Neutron GTX | 2 x WD 500gb Velociraptor | Asus Xonar Xense | 2 x EVGA 590 | Enermax Platimax 1500

Water Cooling - Alphacool NexXxos 360 Monsta | TFC 360 | Alphacool D5 Vario | Alphacool 250 Tube res | EK Supreme HF Nickle Plexi | 2 x EK Nickle Plexi 590 WB | Aquaero 5 XT

I haven't used the Noctua NH-D14; but I have a hard time believing that air cooling could keep my current configuration as cool as my H100i is currently. Sure it's not ideal compared to an actual water cooling loop, but for the time being it is performing quite well and I'm getting incredible temperatures even with my overclock.

1.5 volts!? Are you crazy?

i5 3570k @4.6 ghz | Cooler Master hyper 212 EVO | Asus DCUll 780ti @1200/1400 | 1 TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair HX 750 80+ gold | 8 GB Kingston HyperX Blu | Cooler Master haf 912 windowed edition |  2 x crappy  4:3 monitors (1024x1280) | ASUS VG248QE 1080p 144hz monitor|

#KILLEDMYWIFE  #POOKLO

1.5 volts!? Are you crazy?

No, these AMD chips require higher voltages for anything around 4.8-5.25GHz. I've pushed it to 1.543V for a 5.4GHz boot, but it wasn't stable and temps at idle were around 43C. Once the chip hits around 62C+ it starts to get stupid.

I've found the sweet spot to be 1.525V at 5.0GHz for a 24/7 OC with a 8 hour stress test not pushing past 50C. This OC is on all 8-cores.

I will confess though, that from 4.0GHz to 5.0GHz I haven't seen that big of a difference - even when encoding.  

CORSAIR AIR 540 | CORSAIR AX1200i | GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD7 REV 3.0

AMD 8350 Vishera 5.0GHz @ 1.525V | CORSAIR H100i Push/Pull | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 32GB  DDR3 1600Mhz

KINGSTON HYPER 3K 120GB (2) RAID 0 | SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1.5TB (4) RAID 5 | EVGA GTX 770 4GB FTW ACX (SLI) | CORSAIR AX1200i

I should've bought an ACX version of my superclocked 780. For the same price it made more than enough sense, but there's something about aesthetics that no performance or efficiency on paper can completely trump. You can hate me, but the Bugatti Veyron is hideous though it's the king. If I could ever dream to make a choice, I'd look past it and lease the Pagani.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nepton-280l-tundra-td02-water3.0-pro-reserator3-max,3607-13.html

Nuff said?

The proof why we shouldn't be recommending all-in-one crappy 'water cooler wannabes'.

Never have been a fan of them but this just makes them look REALLY crappy value and you guys too often just PUSH IT into as many systems (Build planning section of forums) as you can, like if it was some godlike solution.

Air coolers for the win. If you wanna water-cool, you have to do a custom loop with powerful pump and all that shizz.

Thoughts? :)

I'm going to take a different route than most others and criticize you specifically because you're losing sight of the goal related to purchasing cooling solutions (as almost every other hardware enthusiast). The point of getting a custom cooling solution (be it big air, clc, or full custom loop) is NOT to get the lowest temperatures possible in a utilitarian sense, but rather to get ACCEPTABLE temperatures to go with your MAXIMUM overclock. Remember that far more often than not (basically just about always) you run into voltage and OC issues LONG before you run into temperature being your problem. Most people tend to forget that thermal cutoff for intel CPUs (for example) is 105C. No it is NOT TJMAX (which only represents the temperature at the IHS, a figure you cannot possibly calculate without a temperature probe sitting in your TIM). With this in mind, the way you should look at cooling solutions changes dramatically.  Yes it is nice to be able to boast that oh my 4770k loads at 38C @ 4.5ghz, but that isn't yielding you any benefits outside of epeen (and a silly form of it might I add). Instead of saying this one is better than that one, people should always be including the caveat EITHER WILL GET YOU YOUR MAX OCS.

Now moving on to the next consideration to make in these scenarios, while highly subjective, is looks. I think personally that in 99% of scenarios clcs look orders of magnitude better than big air because it doesn't block out something like 30% of the view in your case, and can be made to look nice with LEDs and such. When you look at it all this way, it doesn't make half a difference which way you swing when it comes to big air vs clc, as with both (assuming you pick decent ones on both sides) are going to get you your OCs. In the end what matters is your personal preference to looks and your budget.

i5-3570K 4.4ghz @ 1.344v

I used to rock a Hyper 212 Evo with dual SP120's in push /pull.

Had decent cooling but loud as shit. 

78C on Aida64

92C on prime

swapped to an H100i with push/pull using the sp120's

55C on Aida64 (CPU stress only, forgot the temps I got with FPU stress added))

70C on Prime (small FFT)

Not only is it cooler, I could match the cpu block LEDs with my Dom Plats and case lighting. 

Price difference was about $55 ($25 for the Hyper 212 Evo, $80 for the H100i) 

Overall, as a beginner in water cooling, it's a good purchase. I would like to do a full custom loop in the future. 

I do agree but, I managed to get my refurb H60 for £40.00 with an SP120L, and although it is not wonderful in any way, it is fine for the time being until I attempt my first custom loop. As for the air cooling notion, Yep. High-End air coolers like the BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 and the NHD-14 etc... perform nearly as well as, if not on par or better than AIOs and manage to do that without obnoxious pump noise, and the former looks very sexy indeed... But as I say, High-End air cooling is the way to go if you are OCing a fair bit but don't want a full on custom loop.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

I do agree but, I managed to get my refurb H60 for £40.00 with an SP120L, and although it is not wonderful in any way, it is fine for the time being until I attempt my first custom loop. As for the air cooling notion, Yep. High-End air coolers like the BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 and the NHD-14 etc... perform nearly as well as, if not on par or better than AIOs and manage to do that without obnoxious pump noise, and the former looks very sexy indeed... But as I say, High-End air cooling is the way to go if you are OCing a fair bit but don't want a full on custom loop.

Why? You're going to get the same OCs with high end air vs clc.

Why? You're going to get the same OCs with high end air vs clc.

As I said, the pumps used in CLCs are often loud and obnoxious; with a custom loop you are able to choose quiet and well made pumps, and with High-End air cooling, you don't have to worry about pump noise at all. Not to mention that they come with some pretty awesome fans...

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

As I said, the pumps used in CLCs are often loud and obnoxious; with a custom loop you are able to choose quiet and well made pumps, and with High-End air cooling, you don't have to worry about pump noise at all. Not to mention that they come with some pretty awesome fans...

Not all CLC fans are loud, and when the fan curve is managed, even the annoying h100i yields decent noise results while still maintaining acceptable temperatures for OCs. As for the pump noise I beg to differ. With the exception of the h220's pump issues and the old h100 pump noise, a properly working CLC pump is pretty quiet. In fact last I checked Martins liquid lab did a pump noise review. Actually I have a lengthy post from Reddit berating someone who brought up a similar debate (albeit in a much more derogatory way), lemme see if I can find it for you....here it is: 

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/1nfdd4/anandtechs_custom_liquid_cooling_guide_how_to_why/cci7kwm

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nepton-280l-tundra-td02-water3.0-pro-reserator3-max,3607-13.html

Nuff said?

The proof why we shouldn't be recommending all-in-one crappy 'water cooler wannabes'.

Never have been a fan of them but this just makes them look REALLY crappy value and you guys too often just PUSH IT into as many systems (Build planning section of forums) as you can, like if it was some godlike solution.

Air coolers for the win. If you wanna water-cool, you have to do a custom loop with powerful pump and all that shizz.

I was going to go with a closed loop, but decided it wasn't worth it the h100i has crappy fans and it cools about as well as a 212 evo.

Not all CLC fans are loud, and when the fan curve is managed, even the annoying h100i yields decent noise results while still maintaining acceptable temperatures for OCs. As for the pump noise I beg to differ. With the exception of the h220's pump issues and the old h100 pump noise, a properly working CLC pump is pretty quiet. In fact last I checked Martins liquid lab did a pump noise review. Actually I have a lengthy post from Reddit berating someone who brought up a similar debate (albeit in a much more derogatory way), lemme see if I can find it for you....here it is: 

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/1nfdd4/anandtechs_custom_liquid_cooling_guide_how_to_why/cci7kwm

H60 is LOUD! like very I couldnt really hear my H80 and H100 outside the cause but this H60 wow!

I was going to go with a closed loop, but decided it wasn't worth it the h100i has crappy fans and it cools about as well as a 212 evo.

You will be able to get a higher OC with a H100i than a 212, heck from my experience a H100 is already better. Anyone want to correct me on this but isnt the only different between the 212 and the 212 evo the fan?

My worry is full sized tower into a 23ltr case that's going to restrict airflow or watercooling that's going to keep the airflow free?

I know i want watercooled but worry my psu won't take it

And I prefer convection(?) cooling so stop suggesting water/fan cooling! (JK)

H60 is LOUD! like very I couldnt really hear my H80 and H100 outside the cause but this H60 wow!

You will be able to get a higher OC with a H100i than a 212, heck from my experience a H100 is already better. Anyone want to correct me on this but isnt the only different between the 212 and the 212 evo the fan?

the difference with them:

The Hyper 212 EVO has a fully flat copper surface, as the plus has pipes popping out the surface (the cpu thingy) which causes the thermal compound to go in between and not function properly. Other than that they are pretty much the same.  Not allot of difference. Maybe 3-5 c.

Nuff said?

But its so much quieter and you can pick up a cheap h50 refurbished for 35 bucks including fans thermal compound ect so why not?

But its so much quieter and you can pick up a cheap h50 refurbished for 35 bucks including fans thermal compound ect so why not?

http://media.bestofmicro.com/A/7/399535/original/image004.png

Are you sure?

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

I can confirm this, coming form the Hyper 212 Evo.

And it's definitely quieter with the H100i, but I did use 2 sp120's at 2000rpm, so the 212 was loud. The sp's relocated onto the H100i doesn't bother me as much, pump noise is non-existent in my room.

Difference betweent he 212 and 212 evo are the fan, the heat pipe contact patch, and the fins are a taller and lighter.

the difference with them:

The Hyper 212 EVO has a fully flat copper surface, as the plus has pipes popping out the surface (the cpu thingy) which causes the thermal compound to go in between and not function properly. Other than that they are pretty much the same.  Not allot of difference. Maybe 3-5 c.

Direct contact heat pipes are usually considered better but yes you do have to apply more thermal coupound.

I can confirm this, coming form the Hyper 212 Evo.

And it's definitely quieter with the H100i, but I did use 2 sp120's at 2000rpm, so the 212 was loud. The sp's relocated onto the H100i doesn't bother me as much, pump noise is non-existent in my room.

Difference betweent he 212 and 212 evo are the fan, the heat pipe contact patch, and the fins are a taller and lighter.

Ahh ok looks like they made it look nice with the fan but actually made it cheaper on the rest of it. The fan might actually be a worse cheaper fan that they used because it was more flashy and people then wouldnt notice.