Please stop recommending pseudo water-cooling solutions all over the place...

Wolfur

I would like to see how it performs under an overclock. I have a hard time believing that air would cool the fins enough to dissipate the heat compared to liquid.

IE. 5Ghz @ 1.525v

dat voltage...

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

It's all down to preference really, facts and figures can be meaningless sometimes, people recommend them because they are a good solution.

Custom loops, in my opinion are pointless unless your budget is high and you're going to put your GPU/s into the loop aswell. If I was building a high-end PC for a friend, I'd put an AIO unit in as they are low maintenance.

AIO coolers provide good cooling, and can make a high performance system whisper quiet. e.g. I only have a "modest" overclock I guess but keeps my 4.5Ghz i7 under 60 degrees and it's whisper quiet. My PSU wine is the loudest part of the system :P Since they've become more popular I've really gone off having a massive heatsink hanging off my CPU socket, to think I used to want a coolermaster V10 in my dream PC...

Main PC: i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz Corsair H100i V2 | MSI GD65-Z77A | NZXT Tempest 410 Elite | MSI 1080Ti Gaming | Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB @ 1600Mhz | 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Seagate 2TB | Corsair RM650x

I think all cooling reviews should use the FX9590 that sort the men from the boys...

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

In regard to the actual thread.

These AIOs sell well.

AIOs are also more asthetically pleasing to some people. That's another reason to use them.

Some people want a higher thermal limit. They want to push thier CPUs further.

Most of the time spending $20 extra on a cooler is nothing for the extra headroom they get, considering it will last them for a long time.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I think all cooling reviews should use the FX9590 that sort the men from the boys...

I would like to see how it performs under an overclock. I have a hard time believing that air would cool the fins enough to dissipate the heat compared to liquid.

IE. 5Ghz @ 1.525v

Reviewers preffer to test the best CPUs on the market under settings that make sense. 1.5v doesn't make sense for normal people because nobody would put so much on their precious extreme intel cpu...

Oh wait, you have AMD FX 83xx at 5ghz? Dem poor meaningless hertz... Still slower than 4930k at stock :(

;)

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

Oh wait, you have AMD FX 83xx at 5ghz? Dem poor meaningless hertz... Still slower than 4930k at stock :(

;)

Go crawl under the rock you came from you fanboy troll...

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Go craw under the rock you came from you fanboy troll....

I'm not arguing, lol. It's easy enough to find benchmarks that prove my point.

But anyway don't you think 220tdp is a bit extreme for STOCK settings? xD

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

Really? Most people know that they perform the same as an air cooler and if you want low temps you should be using a custom loop but some people arnt confident to do a custom loop but want to use high profile ram or just like the aesthetics of a clean cpu socket to show of there build. No one is forcing anyone to get one its only a suggestion isn't what a forum is for and why people ask questions for other peoples input? 

I much prefer the look of an AIO over a big air cooler, I don't (can't) even overclock my CPU, it's just I dunno, prefer how it looks, so getting the Noctua is as much debunked as close loop, if my CPU is never in danger of high temps, as then it only comes down to what I prefer the look of.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

I'm not arguing, lol. It's easy enough to find benchmarks that prove my point.

But anyway don't you think 220tdp is a bit extreme for STOCK settings? xD

No I like a challenge, lets me justify haveing a 2x3 rad on my wall with 9 NF12's spinning away silently , also keeping my office warm now summer finally left us in wales.

Thing is I dont point out to people that they have something that I personally thinks stupid, because I value people having there personal choices in life, its what makes things interesting...

But you like comparing AMD to Intel and that makes you special in your own way...

In the end I dont care what computer someone has if they like it its good for me, and I am happy for them.

@Ghost. Nearly all the kits come with far better pumps than the AIOs use,the jingway that EK use is a solid pump,bit noisy but performance is good.

The XSPC pump is pretty good too.

Both of these pumps will out live any AIO pump.

Seeing as the kit blocks are normally great anyway and that goes for the rads too.

Fittings are the same as retail also.

Now,AIO warranty....much fail to be had here,hardware is not covered,even Corsairs much vaunted warranty does replace like with like,you get a percentage,not full retail value.

I would much rather trust proper fittings and tube than the bonded low loss tube they use.

How many broken H series cooler threads do you see? Cos me? I see a lot...leaking and grinding pumps are common.

I don't hate AIOs but there is a smarter way to spend your money IMO.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

I've never seen H100i units leaking but grinding, I do. The difference between the warranty on an H100i and a custom loop pump is a H100i has a RPM sensor so your PC will power down when it breaks. Also, if it does break, you can pack up the set-up and repalce the cooler within an hour. A whole custom loop requires a lot more time and effort to remove.

I was also refering to the actual AIO warranty and the parts. But while we're on the topic, Corsair does have a "good will gesture" policy afaik.

The advantage of an AIO over a cheap custom loop imo is that a used AIO is much easier to sell than used watercooling components. With the money you get back you can then take it off the price of your full loop.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

@Ghost. Nearly all the kits come with far better pumps than the AIOs use,the jingway that EK use is a solid pump,bit noisy but performance is good.

Seeing as the kit blocks are normally great anyway and that goes for the rads too.

Now,AIO warranty....much fail to be had here,hardware is not covered,even Corsairs much vaunted warranty does replace like with like,you get a percentage,not full retail value.

I would much rather trust proper fittings and tube than the bonded low loss tube they use.

How many broken H series cooler threads do you see? Cos me? I see a lot...leaking and grinding pumps are common.

Arent the XSPC pumps known for being really bad? often really loud and vibrating, even leaking ( the pump/res combos). Might have been fixed in a new version, but i know a few years ago this was the case.

But i agree, i see new threads a few times/week about AIO watercoolers breaking down, leaking or with strange pump noises. I would recommend a tower cooler over a AIO every day, if there is room for one.

I can understand thay they sell good though, they look far better than the average tower cooler for sure, and a lot of "gamers" go for the looks.

(imagine how many more fans noctua would sell if they had all black fans! i only use noctua fans in my builds with no windows, like my HTPC for example)

Gamingpc: i7-2600K @4.6 Ghz | Corsair LP 16 gb @1600mhz | 2x 7970 @ 1125/1575 | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Silverstone Fortress 2 BW | Corsair AX850 | Samsung 830 256gb
Watercooling: Pump: D5  | Rad: Magicool 3x180mm | Res: Monsoon series two D5 Premium | GPU-block: EK 7970 Acetal/Nickel | CPU-block: EK supreme HF Acetal/Nickel

Peripherals: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Sennheiser PC360 G4ame | M-Audio Bx5 D2 | Ducky Shine Cherry MX Brown w. O-ring mod | Qpad 5k |  Dell U3011 & U2312HM

Reviewers preffer to test the best CPUs on the market under settings that make sense. 1.5v doesn't make sense for normal people because nobody would put so much on their precious extreme intel cpu...

;)

Take the 4930K - get it to 5Ghz 24/7 STABLE on your air cooler, then come back and talk. Anyone can go anywhere and look up synthetic benchmarks, keyboard warrior. The fact of the matter is that in my particular situation (where 1.5v is common with this chipset at this OC) an air cooled solution will not hold up and the AIO H100i will cool far superior over any air cooler - again, in this situation. 

If you're talking stock clocks, or a minimal overclock with a measly 1.34-1.36v then sure, an air cooler will suffice. The other fact of the matter is that the current Intel chip sets don't need (also can't handle) very high voltages to their VCore. 

CORSAIR AIR 540 | CORSAIR AX1200i | GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD7 REV 3.0

AMD 8350 Vishera 5.0GHz @ 1.525V | CORSAIR H100i Push/Pull | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 32GB  DDR3 1600Mhz

KINGSTON HYPER 3K 120GB (2) RAID 0 | SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1.5TB (4) RAID 5 | EVGA GTX 770 4GB FTW ACX (SLI) | CORSAIR AX1200i

The AIO warranties are in fact horrible. The Corsair engineer that I spoke with on the phone couldn't tell me how much time the liquid inside the cooler had on an overclock with an estimated temperature (x degree celsius) over a period of estimated hours of use (x hours per day) before it would need to be replenished ( har har ) to which he said, "that's a very good question, and we did not test our system in that manner." What other manner of testing is their? The obvious issue besides the pump going out is the fact that the system over time will need to be re-filled with solution as it will degrade and dissipate over time. I think that's the huge issue with AIO's is service. 

CORSAIR AIR 540 | CORSAIR AX1200i | GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD7 REV 3.0

AMD 8350 Vishera 5.0GHz @ 1.525V | CORSAIR H100i Push/Pull | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 32GB  DDR3 1600Mhz

KINGSTON HYPER 3K 120GB (2) RAID 0 | SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1.5TB (4) RAID 5 | EVGA GTX 770 4GB FTW ACX (SLI) | CORSAIR AX1200i

Only good thing about them is they take up less room than an air cooler and look better. However, they perform pretty crappy considering how much more they cost compared to something like a Hyper 212+. They don't perform 4x times better but they cost 4x more!

I've never seen H100i units leaking but grinding, I do. The difference between the warranty on an H100i and a custom loop pump is a H100i has a RPM sensor so your PC will power down when it breaks. Also, if it does break, you can pack up the set-up and repalce the cooler within an hour. A whole custom loop requires a lot more time and effort to remove.

I was also refering to the actual AIO warranty and the parts. But while we're on the topic, Corsair does have a "good will gesture" policy afaik.

The advantage of an AIO over a cheap custom loop imo is that a used AIO is much easier to sell than used watercooling components. With the money you get back you can then take it off the price of your full loop.

Most pumps also have the tach wire for exactly the same function. I posted this not long ago....im glad you saw it.

Where would you get this replacement within an hour?

If you contact any kit manu with a busted pump or whatever,they only replace that part,no need to send the whole kit back anyway so im not sure where you are going with that.

Arent the XSPC pumps known for being really bad? often really loud and vibrating, even leaking ( the pump/res combos). Might have been fixed in a new version, but i know a few years ago this was the case.

But i agree, i see new threads a few times/week about AIO watercoolers breaking down, leaking or with strange pump noises. I would recommend a tower cooler over a AIO every day, if there is room for one.

I can understand thay they sell good though, they look far better than the average tower cooler for sure, and a lot of "gamers" go for the looks.

(imagine how many more fans noctua would sell if they had all black fans! i only use noctua fans in my builds with no windows, like my HTPC for example)

XSPC pumps are not fantastic but they still better than these AIO pumps

The AIO warranties are in fact horrible. The Corsair engineer that I spoke with on the phone couldn't tell me how much time the liquid inside the cooler had on an overclock with an estimated temperature (x degree celsius) over a period of estimated hours of use (x hours per day) before it would need to be replenished ( har har ) to which he said, "that's a very good question, and we did not test our system in that manner." What other manner of testing is their? The obvious issue besides the pump going out is the fact that the system over time will need to be re-filled with solution as it will degrade and dissipate over time. I think that's the huge issue with AIO's is service. 

The low loss tube they use is very good at preventing fluid loss,pumps die or leaks occur long before the fluid permeates it.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

I think it all comes down to having something like a Gucci wallet and comparing it to some other normal wallet. It costs x times more but it doesn't do much of a difference other than hold your stuff inside it. It's a luxury thing at the end I guess

Intel 4770k : 4.6Ghz @1.285v | Asus Maximum VI Extreme | Asus GTX780 DCUii OC | Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 GB @2400mhz| Corsair AX1200i |

Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | Random mix match 3.5" hard drives |  Asus PB278q

Cooling : EK Supremacy Plexi/Nickle | Swiftech MCP655 Laing D5 | XSPC RX360 | EK D5 X-TOP CSQ |

I think it all comes down to having something like a Gucci wallet and comparing it to some other normal wallet. It costs x times more but it doesn't do much of a difference other than hold your stuff inside it. It's a luxury thing at the end I guess

My problem is, if you went into Builds Planning section of this forum, you will find way too many people putting that freakin AIOs inside builds.

Let's say:

"I want 1000$ build".

The answer is:

"Get FX 83xx + 990fx mobo and AIO and overclock, it's cheaper".

No, it's not since you lose performance compared to i7, and:

Xeon e3-1230v3 + mobo, perhaps even with stock cooler

Would be cheaper...

Now, if they said:

"Get FX 83xx + Gigabyte 970A-UD3 + Evo 212 and overclock, it's cheaper" - then that statement would make sense. Might come out a bit cheaper (altho still worse performing) than i7.

See my problem? People recommend AIOs in many builds where instead those additional $$ could be put towards better parts like CPU, GPU and not COOLING solution...

My problem is, if you went into Builds Planning section of this forum, you will find way too many people putting that freakin AIOs inside builds.

Let's say:

"I want 1000$ build".

The answer is:

"Get FX 83xx + 990fx mobo and AIO and overclock, it's cheaper".

No, it's not since you lose performance compared to i7, and:

Xeon e3-1230v3 + mobo, perhaps even with stock cooler

Would be cheaper...

Now, if they said:

"Get FX 83xx + Gigabyte 970A-UD3 + Evo 212 and overclock, it's cheaper" - then that statement would make sense. Might come out a bit cheaper (altho still worse performing) than i7.

See my problem? People recommend AIOs in many builds where instead those additional $$ could be put towards better parts like CPU, GPU and not COOLING solution...

This im in agreement with. Get the hardware as good as you can get THEN look at watercooling. A SSD or a GPU is a better purchase.

Also, not having to worry that your socket will be ripped out is a big plus imo.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I have my chip at 4.5Ghz with the ability to push higher if need be and my cooler is a small Noctua unit with 92mm fans..I think that kinda speaks how pointless a custom loop is for most users.

AIO's take some weight off of the socket / board, if that matters to you.

IE. 5Ghz @ 1.525v

I guess this OC isnt enough for you?

image002.png

image003.png

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen