Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaryon

OCed GTX 950 - screens turning off after a while

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello,

I own a Gigabyte nVidia GTX 950 OC edition (card with 1 fan, if that's important). The card is used by 2 screens (1 for gaming), but it doesn't run too hot imho - around 74-75 degrees Celcius after about 15-20 minutes of constant gaming.

I decided to push the card a little by using the OC_GURU software provided with a card. I increased the core voltage and power target to the max and started increasing clock speeds, but - no matter how minor the overclock (even the predefined profile in the software itself) the card stays stable during the benchmarks and the temps aren't that high (around 79-80 degrees after adding about 150MHz), but while gaming (recently World of Warcraft and Overwatch) I can play normally with very satisfactory FPS for about 30-40 minutes and then both screens goes to sleep mode, like the PC itself turned off. Unplugging and plugging the cables doesn't help and the only way out of this is reboot.

1. What is the cause of this?

2. I didn't oc the memory - does it make a difference? Also, would memory clock oc help?

"SteamBox" -> CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 | RAM: Crucial 4x8GB 1600MHz Ballistix Sport CL9 DDR3 | MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H rev 1.1 | GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1060 Aorus Extreme 6GB | PSU: Corsair VS Series 650W | Storage: SSD: Silicon Power Slim S55 120GB & Samsung 850 Evo 250GB / HDD: Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 1TB & WD Blue 1TB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120v ver. 2 | Case: Corsair Spec-01 Red

Seems like a poor overclocker. Even if it completes benchmarks it doesn't always reflect real world performance unfortunately. The driver probably crashes due to an instability and you get the no output problem.

Overclocking the memory can help depending on the game, it certainly doesn't hurt as long as it's stable.

...is there a question here? ?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

1 minute ago, Jangogigalo said:

How long were these benchmarks and were they using 100% of the gpu?

100% GPU use, I ran them for about 15 minutes after I did any change in the OC_GURU.

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Seems like a poor overclocker. Even if it completes benchmarks it doesn't always reflect real world performance unfortunately. The driver probably crashes due to an instability and you get the no output problem.

Overclocking the memory can help depending on the game, it certainly doesn't hurt as long as it's stable.

I tried OC using the MSI Afterburner, but I couldn't change the core voltage in this software. 

"SteamBox" -> CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 | RAM: Crucial 4x8GB 1600MHz Ballistix Sport CL9 DDR3 | MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H rev 1.1 | GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1060 Aorus Extreme 6GB | PSU: Corsair VS Series 650W | Storage: SSD: Silicon Power Slim S55 120GB & Samsung 850 Evo 250GB / HDD: Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 1TB & WD Blue 1TB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120v ver. 2 | Case: Corsair Spec-01 Red

Overclocking memory isn't that big of a performance gainer these days. From what I know it will gain you 2-4 fps vs a good OC on core will put out 5-10. Together of course is better. More heat to add as well but should be fine.

Try resting the card to defaults then using an OC wizard if applicable, then run the same games and benchmarks. If problem persists it could be the driver try reinstalling the driver fresh.

Just now, MR.awesome1 said:

Try resting the card to defaults then using an OC wizard if applicable, then run the same games and benchmarks. If problem persists it could be the driver try reinstalling the driver fresh.

On default there are no problems. What OC wizard are you talking about, exactly?

Just now, Jangogigalo said:

15 mins is rather short time to test stability. Watch your temps as you game. More heat can build up the longer you play. 

I didn't notice the temps going higher than 80 

31 minutes ago, Xaryon said:

I tried OC using the MSI Afterburner, but I couldn't change the core voltage in this software. 

You can, you just need to unlock the functionality, It's locked for safety reasons but if you understand the risks you can enable it in the settings.

...is there a question here? ?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.