Not getting 1 gbps speed

Kyonkanno

on 2.4Ghz on some neighbour friendly wifi devices you will not get 300Mb/s if it detects other wifi networks in the vicinity that would interfere with each other if 300Mb/s is used.

100Mb/s can be caused by a few things, such as bad cable, too many errors on the link. I've seen this happen on some gigabit ports that go down to 100Mb/s because of errors. With a managed switch that has error correction this will be shown.

3 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I think you will always be disappointed if relying on wifi for transfers, it rarely delivers on the specs unless you have top of the range equipmment at both ends of the transfer.

As for the wired, I didn't see what model of router/switch you are using and waht devices you are using for the transfer?

Yeah, I know about wifi sucking balls, But I would at least have the illusion of having a 300 mbps link speed.

As for wired, My desktop is a core i5, GA-H97-HD3, Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, Nvidia 770, to my laptop Asus G750JX

Regarding wifi it is worth switching to 5Ghz AC because the practical wifi transfer rates are better than 2.4Ghz. On wireless N expect to see 30% of link speed with 50% usage max on a good day. With wifi AC the practical speed is 50% of link and you can expect to see better as 5Ghz is less crowded with better chips, protocols and other things. I once managed to use 90% of the rated link for AC wifi but not after pushing the network really hard to the point where packets were dropping.

6 minutes ago, Kyonkanno said:

Yeah, I know about wifi sucking balls, But I would at least have the illusion of having a 300 mbps link speed.

As for wired, My desktop is a core i5, GA-H97-HD3, Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, Nvidia 770, to my laptop Asus G750JX

Ok, how to put this for the wifi, you are using N which is 300mbps capable at the router, but the laptop only has a card that can handle upto 150mbps, then you have to consider the signal strength AND overheads... so it's not going to get better than you are getting now really. I on my router for instance using N only get around 6MBps to my 150mbps (approx 19MB/s) link speed phone... which is crap, so I usually just use a USB 3.0 drive or just stream instead of downloading, depending on the usages I need etc.

As for the wired transfer, that sounds bad.... is your laptop set to gigabit?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

3 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Ok, how to put this for the wifi, you are using N which is 300mbps capable at the router, but the laptop only has a card that can handle upto 150mbps, then you have to consider the signal strength AND overheads... so it's not going to get better than you are getting now really. I on my router for instance using N only get around 6MBps to my 150 link speed phone... which is crap, so I usually just use a USB 3.0 drive or just stream instead of downloading, depending on the usages I need etc.

As for the wired transfer, that sounds bad.... is your laptop set to gigabit?

My laptop gets 300 mbps on the N router, but only 150 on the AC Router. That's the strange part, both of them on 5ghz band. My laptop says link speed is 1 gbps

3 minutes ago, Kyonkanno said:

My laptop gets 300 mbps on the N router, but only 150 on the AC Router. That's the strange part, both of them on 5ghz band. My laptop says link speed is 1 gbps

Hmm, this is puzzling... I hate wifi anyway, I have ac1750 on my router, but because my devices suck I never even get close to that as I don't have matching capability on my devices. I personally stick with using a NAS for any needs. I can read stuff from my NAS without having to "download" it, and if I need stuff for outside of my network that is large, then I just use a USB 3.0 drive, takes seconds to transfer anything I need.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Yeah, I mean, I have no usability issues with my wifi. But i just don't feel comfortable not getting what I paid for.

I think I solved my Gigabit issue, Now the issue is the wifi. As I see it, My older WDR3500 performs better than my crappy new Archer C2 AC750.

the archer c2 has better hardware so makes a better router. It also has wifi AC. The WDR3500 isnt neighbour friendly so you get 300Mb/s. I already said the issue is with the router being neighbour friendly so if it detects other wifi networks in the area it will not use 300Mb/s.

On 9/16/2016 at 11:42 AM, System Error Message said:

the archer c2 has better hardware so makes a better router. It also has wifi AC. The WDR3500 isnt neighbour friendly so you get 300Mb/s. I already said the issue is with the router being neighbour friendly so if it detects other wifi networks in the area it will not use 300Mb/s.

Is there a way to dissable this? even though they are on different bands?

no there is no way to disable this. This is a requirement for getting 300Mb/s on 2.4Ghz. Some firmwares like openwrt allow files to be changed to disable this but from my testing throughput will be worse than 150Mb/s if there is much 2.4Ghz traffic in the area on the channels it covers. Infact using the 2.4Ghz on both routers at the same time could cause the other not to use 300Mb/s for this same reason.