Not getting 1 gbps speed

Kyonkanno

Hello guys, I'm pulling on my hair right now, I can't figure out why my network isn't performing at it's best. So mainly I have two problems.

1-My TP Link AC750 Dual band router won't give me a link speed higher than 150 mbps, even though it should, based on the specs. (I'm using 5 ghz 40 mhz wide channel, btw)

2-I can't get gigabit speed wired. Windows shows gigabit link speed but testing shows only 100 mbps.

So I have 2 routers on my setup. One is an TP Link AC750 and the other is a TP LInk WDR3500, Both dualband but the 3500 only supports up to N standard and only has 100 mbps wired connection. The strange thing is that the WDR3500 gives me the theoretical maximum link speed of 300 mbps in 5 ghz. while the AC750 only gives me 150 mbps tops (sometimes diping into 54 mbps) I have tested standing literally beside the router and never goes higher than 150.

My main router (AC750) is connected to the modem, ps4, TV and then to a gigabit switch in another room. That switch is connected to the WDR3500 and my desktop/server computer. I should note that my TV and the WDR3500 only support up to 100 mbps. Would having these two somehow bottleneck the gigabit connection?

Forgot to mention, the WDR3500 is configured only as AP.

End devices wont bottleneck your setup unless they are wireless and are really far from the AP. I would check your ethernet cabling and see if it's cat5e or cat6. For wireless I would make sure you are connected to the 5ghz ssid typically wifi routers split up the 2.4 and 5ghz bands on two different ssids.

it's cat5e, I made the cables myself using the B standard. The longest connection is about 10 ft or less.

I'm connected to the 5ghz band. I have the ssid setup to indicate which band it is. (TPLink 2 & TPLink 5)

What is your ISP? What country do you live in? If you have a laptop, give me a spec plugged into your router and then modem.

EDIT: I would agree with crashahotrod if you don't think this is an ISP problem. I automatically go to a spec error or ISP error. So I diagnosed via a spec/isp issue.

Edited by LukeS

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

Are you paying for a gigabit connection? Most consumer level stuff that says that it is gigabit are really only talking about its internal network speed and not your internet speed. 

1 minute ago, crashahotrod said:

How are you testing your speed?

based on how fast the internet videos play. DUHHHHH

(PLUHEASE use speedtest.net guys)

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

Not internet, only local network gigabit speed. My ISP only offers up to 100 mbps but I can't afford it. My internet speed is fine.

I'm testing the speed transfering a large 4 gb file (a movie file) over the network as a Network maped drive.

How are you testing the speeds?

By the looks of things, the TP Link AC750 only supports up to Fast Ethernet, which is 100BASE-T, so any connection through your wireless is going to cap out at 100Mbps. Only places where Gigabit speeds are going to be is for devices connected directly to the switch. 

EDIT: Also, the TP Link AC750 advertises 733Mbps of total bandwidth, not 733Mbps link speed.

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

By the looks of things, the TP Link AC750 only supports up to Fast Ethernet, which is 100BASE-T, so any connection through your wireless is going to cap out at 100Mbps. Only places where Gigabit speeds are going to be is for devices connected directly to the switch. 

Could you elaborate? So I won't get gigabit speeds connecting through the AC750 even wired? If so I think I got ripped off because the router says it has gigabit lan ports.

24 minutes ago, Kyonkanno said:

Hello guys, I'm pulling on my hair right now, I can't figure out why my network isn't performing at it's best. So mainly I have two problems.

1-My TP Link AC750 Dual band router won't give me a link speed higher than 150 mbps, even though it should, based on the specs. (I'm using 5 ghz 40 mhz wide channel, btw)

2-I can't get gigabit speed wired. Windows shows gigabit link speed but testing shows only 100 mbps.

How are you running the test within Windows to check if you are getting 1Gbps speeds? If it is a network file copy Windows dispays it in MBps/GBps and not Mbps/Gbps, 100MBps is about the maximum usable speed a 1Gbps connection will give. I have seen slightly higher at around 115MB/s-120MB/s but at these speeds you start hitting the limits of most HDD for sustain transfers.

As for the wireless connection first check what the device supports. Then after that disconnect all devices but the test device and then reconnect it, what is the speed it connects at? Slower devices effect the maximum speed you can get from faster ones.

3 minutes ago, Kyonkanno said:

I'm testing the speed transfering a large 4 gb file (a movie file) over the network as a Network maped drive.

What are the transfer speeds between two devices connected directly to the switch? 

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

There are TWO types of these devices:

TP link C2 AC750: Gigabit LAN

TP link C20 AC750: 100Mb LAN

@Kyonkanno please specify which one do you have

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

Just now, Kyonkanno said:

Could you elaborate? So I won't get gigabit speeds connecting through the AC750 even wired? If so I think I got ripped off because the router says it has gigabit lan ports.

Could you send me a link to your router? The one I can find only has 10/100 ports. 

I think your issues are not with your network, but with your windows setup on either end. Try enabling jumbo packets, and making a ram disk on both ends.

As above, I don't think I've ever seen above 150Mbps for a mobile device link speed on wifi personally. What device are you using for transferring to and from?

As for the gigabit speeds I agree with @leadeater, I get around 108-113 for transferring stuff between my NAS and computer both through gigabit, so almost at the theoretical limits.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

this are my routers http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-9_Archer-C2.html

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/TL-WDR3500.html

My router is an archer c2 ac750 but they merged the two devices together with the AC900.

3 minutes ago, crashahotrod said:

I think your issues are not with your network, but with your windows setup on either end. Try enabling jumbo packets, and making a ram disk on either end.

How to enable jumbo packets? I have ssd on both ends.

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

What are the transfer speeds between two devices connected directly to the switch? 

havent tested that yet.

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

How are you running the test within Windows to check if you are getting 1Gbps speeds? If it is a network file copy Windows dispays it in MBps/GBps and not Mbps/Gbps, 100MBps is about the maximum usable speed a 1Gbps connection will give. I have seen slightly higher at around 115MB/s-120MB/s but at these speeds you start hitting the limits of most HDD for sustain transfers.

As for the wireless connection first check what the device supports. Then after that disconnect all devices but the test device and then reconnect it, what is the speed it connects at? Slower devices effect the maximum speed you can get from faster ones.

3 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

As above, I don't think I've ever seen above 150Mbps for a mobile device link speed on wifi personally. What device are you using for transferring to and from?

As for the gigabit speeds I agree with @leadeater, I get around 108-113 for transferring stuff between my NAS and computer both through gigabit, so almost at the theoretical limits.

Yeah I know, Im only getting 10-12 Megabytes per second (100 mbps).

Im using my laptop, an Asus G750. When I'm connected to the WDR3500, the laptop gets 300mbps link speed, but when I'm connected to the AC750, it only gets 150 mbps.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

http://www.tp-link.co.za/products/details/cat-9_Archer-C2.html#specifications

If your device is wireless N then your only ever going to get 150Mbps.

4 minutes ago, Kyonkanno said:

Yeah I know, Im only getting 10-12 Megabytes per second (100 mbps).

Im using my laptop, an Asus G750. When I'm connected to the WDR3500, the laptop gets 300mbps link speed, but when I'm connected to the AC750, it only gets 150 mbps.

The WDR3500 supports wireless N 300Mbps.

Edit: Looking at the Asus G750 specs it supports wireless AC so it should be connecting faster, try diconnecting every other wireless device like I mentioned. Would be interested to see what that does.

1.    Open control panel and go to Network and Sharing Center.
2.    Click Change adapter settings.
3.    Right-click the adapter for which you want to enable jumbo frames and select Properties.
Untitled.png
4.    Under the Networking tab, click the Configure button.
5.    Go to the Advanced tab. Select Jumbo Frame and change the value from Disabled to the desired value, such as 9KB MTU.
Note: The maximum value of jumbo frame depends on the NIC, for most MIC the value is 9KB.
Untitled1.pngUntitled2.png

I think you will always be disappointed if relying on wifi for transfers, it rarely delivers on the specs unless you have top of the range equipmment at both ends of the transfer.

As for the wired, I didn't see what model of router/switch you are using and waht devices you are using for the transfer?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Oh wow, enabling jumbo packets improved considerably. I was getting 12 MBps TOPS and now I'm on 60 MBps tops (meaning it goes between 30-60). Is there something else missing to get the extra 50 MBps missing?