Drama going on over at Techsource...

ThinkWithPortals

So, here's the story:

• TechSource (Ed) is a tech channel who, for their recent 900k subscriber special, gave away a gaming PC worth $350 in an INTERNATIONAL giveaway (that bit is important).
  • Ed messaged the winner (bloke named Ruan) on social media to arrange shipping, turns out Ruan lives in Ireland. No big deal, right?
  • Wrong, apparently. Ed said that instead of just buying the parts from Amazon, build the thing and ship it out as he would with a US/Canada winner, he would have to (quote): "But this required a little more work as I would have to order the parts, box them up, fill out customs forms and run down to the local UPS which is always crazy packed." The whole process would take two hours out of Ed's 14-16 hour work day. Therefore, Ed decides to procrastinate and not ship the PC.
  • After about a week, Ruan (quite rightly) starts messaging Ed about where the hell his PC is. Ed continues to not respond, be lazy and procrastinate, and after two months of Ruan's frantic messaging he blocks the winner.
  • Ruan posts about how Ed "scammed" him, calling him a "thief" and "liar" for not giving him the PC he won. Consequently people start attacking Ed on social media for not delivering on his promise, and Ed responds with profanity, childish insults and namecalling. Ed even goes so far as to call Ruan, the giveaway winner himself, "an annoying kid who just wants attention".
  • After Ed's disgraceful behaviour, he realises his mistake and starts deleting tweets and other posts on social media, trying to cover his tracks and conceal his actions. But the damage is done. Screenshots of Ed's actions have hit the internet and the pain train is in full force.
  • Ed finally "ends the drama". He increases the value of the winner's PC from $350 to $500 and makes an "apologetic" post on Reddit. The reason those two were in quotation marks was because he has neither ended the drama nor has he apologised. His Reddit post (https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/52silo/my_apology_techsource/) reeks of "I'm just sorry I got caught, but look on the bright side and everyone start loving me again yay!"

What are your thoughts? Personally I think this is disgusting behaviour on the part of TechSource, especially given that they're closing in on a million subscribers. Ed ignored the giveaway winner, blocked him, didn't ship his PC, started insulting the people who called him out in the most childish way possible, insulted the winner, tried to lie to cover his tracks and wasn't even apologetic afterwards.

I used to be a fan of his, but now he can go fuck right off. His whole demeanour and mannerisms are way off the mark, his behaviour unacceptable. Especially given what other shady stuff he's done in the past, eg. sponsored by G2A, selling game review codes for profit, etc. etc. He deserves all the negative repurcussions he gets IMO.

[/rant]

EDIT: Aaand he seems to be in full damage control mode. Disabling ratings on his videos.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I just read this story a second ago and I unsubscribed and will not watch his content anymore. I know this won't bother him, as displayed by this:

zSls4E3.png?1

(Source: http://imgur.com/a/oRjL6)

But I just don't want to watch any content creator who does stuff like this. Even though Ruan may have been a bit too fast with the accusations, Ed from Tech Source should have been more mature with handling the situation.

EDIT: Mature and professional that is

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

57 minutes ago, Minibois said:

I feel completely the same. Disliked, unsubbed and hope to never see one of his videos again. I refuse to give this guy any money.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

hes a dick, nobody should watch him

Anyway, why didnt he just buy the parts from ireland and have them shipped to the winners house to assemble himself

either way shipping something takes all of 5 minutes at the depot

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

7 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

hes a dick, nobody should watch him

Anyway, why didnt he just buy the parts from ireland and have them shipped to the winners house to assemble himself

either way shipping something takes all of 5 minutes at the depot

Or better yet, if he REALLY wanted to be lazy, he could have contacted a local PC Builder in Ireland (No idea if they have the equivalent of an NCIX or a MicroCenter, but if they did, that'd be ideal), and just pay those blokes to build and ship the PC out to the winner.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Or better yet, if he REALLY wanted to be lazy, he could have contacted a local PC Builder in Ireland (No idea if they have the equivalent of an NCIX or a MicroCenter, but if they did, that'd be ideal), and just pay those blokes to build and ship the PC out to the winner.

Not much of those kinds of shops in Ireland. You'd probably be looking at going to a small-time repair store for something like that. Very little in the way of tech shops where I'm from.

This is ridiculous... if you don't want to ship outside your country DON'T HOST AN INTERNATIONAL GIVEAWAY. It's not very hard. All this could have been avoided if he hadn't promised he'd ship it abroad in the first place.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The thing that stands out to me is all the censorship.  Doesn't speak well to the freedoms so many people gave their lives to defend.

31 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Not much of those kinds of shops in Ireland. You'd probably be looking at going to a small-time repair store for something like that. Very little in the way of tech shops where I'm from.

There must be some shops in Dublin, or one of the other "big" cities. But perhaps you're right.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If he truly wanted to be lazy, he could've just bought some Amazon gift cards and gave that to the winner so he could buy the parts himself or whatever. Instead he just went full lazy mode. I hadn't heard of this guy before, but now I'm kind of glad I hadn't.

Turns out, international shipping isn't that great eh.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

You forgot to mention that he's selling not only game codes but products(headphones, CPUs etc.) for profit too.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

He even comments on other tech channels and somehow tries and "borrows" people there to watch his vids not that it's too much of a bad thing.

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

1 hour ago, IAEInferno said:

He even comments on other tech channels and somehow tries and "borrows" people there to watch his vids not that it's too much of a bad thing.

In fact, the first ever post on Reddit is from three years ago, and is him linking his channel, pretending not to be the owner and someone who just found the channel and wanted to share. Even back then this guy was a douche...

for a second i though this was about tek syndicate , but yea , i dont like techsource 

not the biggest fan of his content and he seems to have a bloated ego 

[r]

i watched like 3 or 4 videos of him , all of em setup wars 

in one (worst setup) he judged a rather clean build (sidepanel case , clean cable management , leds and all that sorta goodies) "as one of the worst things he has ever seen "

and judged the builder for using the (bottom mounted) power-supply for being mounted fan side up so it is an exaust , demanding he turn it around  , EVEN THO the system was on CARPET 

[/r]

just one of those things  

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

16 minutes ago, Tibbles said:

send help the free version of poweriso can't fucking save shit that is above 300mb like wtf

rip dreams

what?

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

If he truly wanted to be lazy, he could've just bought some Amazon gift cards and gave that to the winner so he could buy the parts himself or whatever. Instead he just went full lazy mode. I hadn't heard of this guy before, but now I'm kind of glad I hadn't.

Turns out, international shipping isn't that great eh.

if he truly wanted to be lazy he could have just rigged it , select a winner in the us , someone he might know but is not associated w/ him 

its very easy to fake a randomizer result (ms paint is hard) 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Just now, Tibbles said:

I thought I was posting in the lgbt community thread, sorry just ignore me lol

Oh lol no worries :) If you're legit having issues with some software, you should create a thread in the Troubleshooting forum. You'll get better responses (that aren't off topic), then if you did in the LGBT Community thread.

Now he post a video about it.

I had a feeling this guy was a ass. I unsubbed once I watched his video. He could have told the person if he wanted cash instead because of how busy he is, but chose to ignore him for MONTHS. I understand if you are busy for a few days, but this is beyond it. Also he could have UPS PICK up his package, and not deal with loosing time.

I don't understand this. The guy won? so if you are having issues doing this? buy the parts for the guy over his end, ask him nicely to supply his address and walla send him all the parts so he can build it.

You still delivered on your promise and you actually look better for going out of your way to make sure your loyal fans and the winner are satisfied and happy with you.

Instead he goes quiet, makes a big fuss like a kid, uses bullying tactics by mocking the winner and then only says sorry when he needs to, not because he means it.

Sociopathic behavior and an absolute cunt.

Pentium IV @ 4.4ghz , 8GB DDR2, R9 380 4GB, 2560x1440p monitor.

1 hour ago, CAPCOM UK said:

I don't understand this. The guy won? so if you are having issues doing this? buy the parts for the guy over his end, ask him nicely to supply his address and walla send him all the parts so he can build it.

You still delivered on your promise and you actually look better for going out of your way to make sure your loyal fans and the winner are satisfied and happy with you.

Instead he goes quiet, makes a big fuss like a kid, uses bullying tactics by mocking the winner and then only says sorry when he needs to, not because he means it.

Sociopathic behavior and an absolute cunt.

Yeah, I agree with this (except for the name calling part)

There are a whole bunch of ways he could have better handled the situation, from just actually shipping, to making it a US only thing or what you said. By not doing anything and later trashtalking your fans, that is just horrible.

Off topic:

'Walla'? :P It's 'voilà' actually.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I guess Ed found out how difficult it is to run an international competition. Especially when you have to ship something as big as a PC. 

18 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Ed....sounds like a prime candidate to join Logan and Pistol.

"Stay tuned for our new channel, TekSource. Support us on Patreon for a chance to win a PC" 

2 hours ago, Minibois said:

Off topic:

'Walla'? :P It's 'voilà' actually.

Unless he wants to say "I swear" in Arabic. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

12 minutes ago, Volbet said:

I guess Ed found out how difficult  it is to run an international competition. Especially when you have to ship something as big as a PC. 

"Stay tuned for our new channel TekSource. Support us on Patreon for a chance to win a PC" 

Unless he wants to say "I swear" in Arabic. 

Isn't that wollah?