X5670 Overclocking with a EVGA X58 SLI Motherboard. Need Help

Hi, I need help overclocking my CPU to at least 4.0Ghz. I watched a vid on YouTube but his motherboard is a bit different than mine. Mine seems to have a lot more options and I'm not sure where to start. If someone can give me step by step instructions on how to do this, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Here's the vid I watched.

It is just like any other overclocking, increase the frequency then stress test. If it passes, increase the frequency, and test again. It the test fails increase the voltage a little, then repeat until you reach the desired speed, max temp, or voltage limits.

If you plan on running the oc 24/7 look up the max safe voltage for the particular cpu.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

It is just like any other overclocking, increase the frequency then stress test. If it passes, increase the frequency, and test again. It the test fails increase the voltage a little, then repeat until you reach the desired speed, max temp, or voltage limits.

If you plan on running the oc 24/7 look up the max safe voltage for the particular cpu.

The thing is, I've never overclocked before and there are a few options for voltage, all with different names. I don't want to mess with the wrong thing and fry my processor. When you say increase the frequency, what am I changing, the BCLK, CPU Voltage, CPU PLL Voltage,  or CPU Ratio settings? Theres so much shit in there, Idk where to start

When I was overclocking on my P6T Deluxe V2 I used this guide by young Linus.

Great guide that covers the basics of X58 overclocking ;)

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

4 minutes ago, ThaDon said:

The thing is, I've never overclocked before and there are a few options for voltage, all with different names. I don't want to mess with the wrong thing and fry my processor. When you say increase the frequency, what am I changing, the BCLK, CPU Voltage, CPU PLL Voltage,  or CPU Ratio settings? Theres so much shit in there, Idk where to start

For basic overclocking all you need to worry about is cpu voltage, and cpu multiplier(ratio).

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Just now, SLAYR said:

For basic overclocking all you need to worry about is cpu voltage, and cpu multiplier(ratio).

This is very true, but as most overclocking in X58 is based around raising the bclk, for more extreme overclocking more voltages need to be tweaked ;)

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

My ratio only goes up to 22 I believe, and in the vid he sets his CPU Voltage to 1.30000, should I just try that and see what happens? Also he changes a few things to manual, but I'm not seeing Intel Speed Step anywhere in my BIOS.

6 minutes ago, oskarha said:

When I was overclocking on my P6T Deluxe V2 I used this guide by young Linus.

Great guide that covers the basics of X58 overclocking ;)

I'll deff check this out. Thanks

1 minute ago, ThaDon said:

My ratio only goes up to 22 I believe, and in the vid he sets his CPU Voltage to 1.30000, should I just try that and see what happens? Also he changes a few things to manual, but I'm not seeing Intel Speed Step anywhere in my BIOS.

X22 is probably just max turbo, its not going to get you far. You will need to mess with the bclk to get a decent overclock.

Main Rig:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, oskarha said:

X22 is probably just max turbo, its not going to get you far. You will need to mess with the bclk to get a decent overclock.

Hmm, well how do I get it to go higher?

4 minutes ago, oskarha said:

This is very true, but as most overclocking in X58 is based around raising the bclk, for more extreme overclocking more voltages need to be tweaked ;)

If it is based on BCLk then just make sure to turn down the ram frequencies.

Just now, ThaDon said:

Hmm, well how do I get it to go higher?

You turn the baseclock up in the BIOS.

Watch the video, and you will understand alot more ;) 

Main Rig:

Spoiler

Just now, oskarha said:

You turn the baseclock up in the BIOS.

Watch the video, and you will understand alot more ;) 

Honestly, after watching the vid I'm a lot more confused. He takes a lot more steps than what you guys have told me (And he's working with an i7, not a Xeon processor), as well as what the guy did in the first vid. I guess I'll just have to keep researching. I've yet to find many people with the same board or processor as mine. My motherboard is also showing a lot more options in my BIOS than his shows. But thanks for the help.

11 minutes ago, ThaDon said:

Honestly, after watching the vid I'm a lot more confused. He takes a lot more steps than what you guys have told me (And he's working with an i7, not a Xeon processor), as well as what the guy did in the first vid. I guess I'll just have to keep researching. I've yet to find many people with the same board or processor as mine. My motherboard is also showing a lot more options in my BIOS than his shows. But thanks for the help.

On X58, overclocking a xeon is no different than overclocking a locked i7 (like the one in the video).

Main steps for overclocking on x58:

- Find your max bclk (roughly)

- Do this by setting eveything to low and turning up the bclk in increments of 5 until you cant boot, when you cant boot, remember the last value and reset cmos

- Turn up the multiplier to max and increase the bclk again, this time you can start at a higher value

Remember: CPU speed is given by multiplier*bclk

- When your system becomes unstable, either push more voltage (keep an eye on your temps) or call it a day ;)

Main Rig:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, oskarha said:

On X58, overclocking a xeon is no different than overclocking a locked i7 (like the one in the video).

oops not finished WIP

Well the guy in the vid used a BCLK of 167, bringing it to 4.0Ghz. So I should just follow step by what Linus was doing in the vid? Also, I see him messing around with the RAM, is that necessary? I only really wanted to mess with the CPU. Forgive me if these are dumb questions, but I'm coming from absolutely no knowledge of OC'ing

Just now, ThaDon said:

Well the guy in the vid used a BCLK of 167, bringing it to 4.0Ghz. So I should just follow step by what Linus was doing in the vid? Also, I see him messing around with the RAM, is that necessary? I only really wanted to mess with the CPU. Forgive me if these are dumb questions, but I'm coming from absolutely no knowledge of OC'ing

You dont need to mess around with the ram.

Just make sure the ram isnt above its rated speed, as when you increase the bclk you overclock the ram aswell.

To do this just select a lower ram speed.

Also post updated ;)

Main Rig:

Spoiler

So I'm not seeing a few things. I'm not seeing the QPI Link speeds. This is all I see for QPI but it only shows something about GT's. Also not seeing a memory multiplier, I might have overlooked, I'll check again. 

14348708_1299746060091463_36463524_n.jpg

1 hour ago, oskarha said:

- Do this by setting eveything to low and turning up the bclk in increments of 5 until you cant boot, when you cant boot, remember the last value and reset cmos

- Turn up the multiplier to max and increase the bclk again, this time you can start at a higher value

Remember: CPU speed is given by multiplier*bclk

- When your system becomes unstable, either push more voltage (keep an eye on your temps) or call it a day ;)

Pretty much for the most part. You want some combination that is around 4.3GHz, no more than 4.5GHz most can hit 4.3 pretty easily but 4.5 is left to the golden chips or extremely high voltages. Id set my voltage at 1.35 or 1.375 Vcore and 1.335 Vtt/QPI and then try to find your BCLK up to 220, somewhere in the 180-220 range The lower the chip the higher BCLK you have to push because you don't have as many multis to work with. Like a X5675 has I think 25 Multis where as a X5650 I think might only have like 22, so you have to have a higher BCLK to reach the same overclocks where as you can have a a slightly lower BCLK on the higher end chips and just use an extra multi or two. 

3 hours ago, DunePilot said:

Pretty much for the most part. You want some combination that is around 4.3GHz, no more than 4.5GHz most can hit 4.3 pretty easily but 4.5 is left to the golden chips or extremely high voltages. Id set my voltage at 1.35 or 1.375 Vcore and 1.335 Vtt/QPI and then try to find your BCLK up to 220, somewhere in the 180-220 range The lower the chip the higher BCLK you have to push because you don't have as many multis to work with. Like a X5675 has I think 25 Multis where as a X5650 I think might only have like 22, so you have to have a higher BCLK to reach the same overclocks where as you can have a a slightly lower BCLK on the higher end chips and just use an extra multi or two. 

Problem is, I don't see QPI Ratio, is there another name for it?

14 minutes ago, ThaDon said:

Problem is, I don't see QPI Ratio, is there another name for it?

Vtt. Its not a huge deal if you can't find it, but if you can it should be on the same page you see your VCore voltage. It won't hurt anything to bump it all the way up to 1.335 and then that is good all the way to 4.7GHz OCs only having to increase your VCore. 

My bad, I'm multitasking you asked ratio. You want ratio 1.5-1.8X memory, or just leave it on auto. You can sometimes find you'll have better stability on lower voltage by sticking with 1.8 over 2.0 ratio. So 1600MHz ram would be 2400-2880, if you wanted to set it manually You'd set it somewhere in that range. 

1 minute ago, DunePilot said:

Vtt

In your vid I see both Vtt and clock ratio. Surely they can't both be the same thing? This looks different than the QPI Clock Ratio in your vid.

14739808608881413706762.jpg

For some reason only a part of your previous message popped up. This is what I see in my BIOS. Mine looks different than all the others I've seen,

1473981940927-2017999832.jpg

1473981965970-1714690004.jpg

14739819904232126033261.jpg

14739820165481504492358.jpg

1473982045525-2010711011.jpg

1473981965970-1714690004.jpg

Clock ratio and host frequency is where you are going to set your overclock, its currently 133 you probably should try 196... 196 X 22 = 4312...  a 4.3GHz OC. 

Now when you adjust your bus speed it will increase your ram speed as well, so you will probably need to change the "divider" that it is using. 196 X 8= 1568Mhz.

Yeah, I know that is multiplication but for whatever reason it's known as your ram divider. 

You also need to increase your voltages, increase your VCore to 1.375 (you can try to lower it to 1.35 later on to dial it in). and your Vtt... you need to bump it up but I don't know what it's at... yours has it set up different... I would say doing the +125mv option should be fine. Without going into advanced options theres a view that shows you all your current clocks and temps, it might show what Vtt is currently running at, if you can figure it out try to get it to 1.335v or slightly under, since we don't know just try the +125mv option.