How to check if Display panel is IPS or TN

ishanjain28

Hi,

I want to know if there are any tests that I can perform to check if my laptop's display is IPS or TN. 

Reason: 

My laptop Lenovo Y50-70 1080p version came with an IPS display. 2 months ago It started to flickr and the screen would turn pink. So, I called Customer care and they sent an engineer to replace it yesterday, After 2 months! but anyway the engineer came and replaced my laptop's screen. Now, I get the feel that this display is not IPS because the viewing angles when rotating the laptop sideways are okay but the viewing angles when moving the lid up and down(or opening or closing the lid) gives terrible view. All the colors start to fade out pretty quick.  Also, The display has an un-natural blue tint to it. 

I use my laptop 14+ hours a day and do some work in photoshop and mostly programming. And this is very noticible. 

I want to know if they did something fishy here or I am just seeing this because the display has been changed and it'll take time to get it natural.. 

I found one test on www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php and the box outlines start appearing from box 8. 

and this http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php the text starts turning light green on top and reddish when turning my display up and down very quickly. 

Regards. 

If your screen looks sepia or monochromatic, you have TN.

If it looks like a colorful like a unicorn vomited crayons on your screen, you have IPS. 

I'm being facetious of course. Viewing angles are side to side not vertically. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 minutes ago, ishanjain28 said:

SNIP

Do colors begin to invert if you look sufficiently below or above the panel? If not it isn't a TN panel. It could be a bad IPS or a VA panel. VA panels show much harsher off angle color shift than IPS but do not invert like TN. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

19 minutes ago, ishanjain28 said:

Hi,

I want to know if there are any tests that I can perform to check if my laptop's display is IPS or TN. 

Reason: 

My laptop Lenovo Y50-70 1080p version came with an IPS display. 2 months ago It started to flickr and the screen would turn pink. So, I called Customer care and they sent an engineer to replace it yesterday, After 2 months! but anyway the engineer came and replaced my laptop's screen. Now, I get the feel that this display is not IPS because the viewing angles when rotating the laptop sideways are okay but the viewing angles when moving the lid up and down(or opening or closing the lid) gives terrible view. All the colors start to fade out pretty quick.  Also, The display has an un-natural blue tint to it. 

I use my laptop 14+ hours a day and do some work in photoshop and mostly programming. And this is very noticible. 

I want to know if they did something fishy here or I am just seeing this because the display has been changed and it'll take time to get it natural.. 

I found one test on www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php and the box outlines start appearing from box 8. 

and this http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php the text starts turning light green on top and reddish when turning my display up and down very quickly. 

Regards. 

If colors invert when viewed at extreme vertical angles, it's TN.

tn_viewing_angles.jpg

OP I took pictures of this on a samsumg PLS panel, an IPS monitor, and a TN 144Hz acer predator since i have like every type of monitor out there. 

I can see the difference on my TN screen, but for best results look at these on your phone. Phone screens are usually decent. 

I apologize ahead of time for the blurryness, I cannot see well right now and my DSLR's autofocus doesn't like screens, so I had to do my best manually 

First up, pls panel 

Spoiler

GAoqovq.jpg

TuwkNt9.jpg

EWFCvCD.jpg

Second, an IPS screen 

Spoiler

2Tk8Iun.jpg

owUhe2V.jpg

Mnxza3d.jpg

nbdqyFA.jpg

Kpo8OP6.jpg

Last, acer predator, 144Hz TN (so not the greatest color shift wise, but I've seen much worse)

Spoiler

gbmNenV.jpg

WloWUJW.jpg

4l1lUkY.jpg

GSv4WFR.jpg

1v9UdKb.jpg

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

16 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Do colors begin to invert if you look sufficiently below or above the panel? If not it isn't a TN panel. It could be a bad IPS or a VA panel. VA panels show much harsher off angle color shift than IPS but do not invert like TN. 

I have an AHVA panel, should I take pics of that too? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

37 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I have an AHVA panel, should I take pics of that too? 

AHVA isn't a VA panel... It stands for Advanced Hyper Viewing Angles and it's AOC's version of IPS. 

I know right.... how annoying... Technically speaking my main monitor is AHVA (the PG348Q).

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

ips_2.jpg

Anyways that is the easiest way to distinguish IPS from VA.

Again like Samsung's PLS technology, AU Optronics have invested in their own IPS-type technology since 2012, dubbed AHVA. This technology is designed by AU Optronics as another alternative to IPS. Confusingly the AHVA name makes it sound like it's a VA-type panel, which AU Optronics have been manufacturing for many  years. It should not be confused with AMVA which is their current "true" VA technology produced.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

12 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

AHVA isn't a VA panel... It stands for Advanced Hyper Viewing Angles and it's AOC's version of IPS. 

I know right.... how annoying... Technically speaking my main monitor is AHVA (the PG348Q).

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

ips_2.jpg

Anyways that is the easiest way to distinguish IPS from VA.

Well that explains why it looks much better than my previous experiences with VA panels, and why it looks so close to my pls screen I have it paired with. 

muh specs 

All parts black

6 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

If your screen looks sepia or monochromatic, you have TN.

If it looks like a colorful like a unicorn vomited crayons on your screen, you have IPS. 

I'm being facetious of course. Viewing angles are side to side not vertically. 

It becomes Monochromatic on turning the lid up and down. Also, In Windows Task Manager's process tab when some process takes lots of resources then that resources cell gets highlighted with yellow color. But on my PC now, The color isn't yellow it's like cream-ish. Like faded out Yellow. 

So they did in fact replaced my screen with an IPS panel and I pretty much can't do anything about it because their warranty says "If a part is not available then it'll be replaced with the next best part" Which in this case happens to be TN panel. I waited 10 months just to get a IPS version of this laptop and now with this TN panel I can not work for long hours because TN panel causes strain in eyes and also terrible viewing angles.. ;( 

Ambiguous warranty statements... ;( 

Sketch.png