Best laptop for £400/$550 (or under) for Uni?

HI all,

Here comes another annoyingly vague question, so sorry about that first off. Basically, my friend has just started Uni and he needs a laptop for his studies.The only criteria he gave me was that it should be no more than £400 ($530 - $550). However, if you  could find something in that price range with an SSD that would be greatly appreciated as he has a laptop just now but it's unusably slow because of it's old ass HDD. The course he's doing requires him to use sound production software on his laptop, so no less than 4GB RAM is pretty necessary here (obviously the more the merrier, but I am aware we're working with a budget). 

So yeah, if you guys could recommend me a laptop with (preferably, but not necessarily) an SSD and a decent amount of RAM for £400 or less you would be helping me out a whole bunch. He won't be using this for any kind of gaming so don't worry about graphics at all really, and there's also no preference on the whole AMD/Intel thing.

Thank you,

P! :)

Mirror's Edge 2. One day.

Lenovo IdeaPad 510 - there is a 14' version with Intel Iris Pro available for a similar price. It's a great option. Or there is also a 15' version with a 940MX if he wants a dGPU

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

5 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Lenovo IdeaPad 510 - there is a 14' version with Intel Iris Pro available for a similar price. It's a great option. Or there is also a 15' version with a 940MX if he wants a dGPU

I was literally about to recommend that tbh lol

21 hours ago, Aleemageddon said:

I was literally about to recommend that tbh lol

Yeah I was actually thinking of quite a few lenovos, but ill look into that one. Thanks guys! :)

Mirror's Edge 2. One day.