Samsung thinking about 3.5 jack

NinjaCode
2 hours ago, totjup5 said:

And what will you do if you ever want to back up your phone to a pc or flash a rom.... bluetooth headphones suck too btw. Way too lossy.

Backing up to pc is a gimmick

flashing roms is a gimmick

bluetooth is the future

lossy is more than good enough therefore already the best solution 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 2016-09-15 at 3:50 AM, ShadowCaptain said:

I reckon samsung should make hand grenades :)

No but really, the 3.5mm is dead - the problem is, we dont want competing proprietary standards

I guess USB C would be the way forwards, but it needs the problems ironing out before we all have to own 200 pairs of headphones to use all of our devices 

why is 3.5mm dead? is it bad? is it not fullfilling ppl's demand? I dont get it.

VGA is replaced becuz is analog and are reaching its limit to serve higher resolution and refresh rate. That is a true upgrade.

CD is removed becuz imo 1. that thing spins too fast and cause a lot of vibration and truely takes a lot of space. 2. alternative are pretty commonly used (hard drive/usb/internet).

3.5mm jack? i dont really see any benefit removing it. did apple claim it achieves better sound quality with it connected via lighting port?

Now yes, this will push industry to find a new standard but why? replacement is not the point. if the new standard can have better sound quality or staff then fine, but there's no sign of it yet.

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

Backing up to pc is a gimmick

flashing roms is a gimmick

bluetooth is the future

lossy is more than good enough therefore already the best solution 

not sure you understand what lossy means.... Also, backing up your stuff isn't a gimmic lol it's just a good practice.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

12 hours ago, totjup5 said:

not sure you understand what lossy means.... Also, backing up your stuff isn't a gimmic lol it's just a good practice.

I am 99% sure he is being sarcastic. In the thread about Apple ditching the 3.5mm headphone jack people were legitimately using it as an argument for why the move away from 3.5mm was good.

On 14/09/2016 at 5:19 PM, ivan134 said:

Samsung and Apple are not the only phone manufactures so I'm not worried

but the scary thing is that those other companies might follow suit with this BS trend.

(⌐■_■) 

11 hours ago, Ridska said:

but the scary thing is that those other companies might follow suit with this BS trend.

On the bright side, phone repair may become a viable business as folks want to keep their phones with the 3.5mm jack alive for longer. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

See it would make sense if the replaced it with something better, but wireless audio is still mostly crap and the 3.5mm is still fine even for higher end headphones

But whatever I don't buy smartphones, flip phones or sliders are what I still use

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

3 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

See it would make sense if the replaced it with something better, but wireless audio is still mostly crap and the 3.5mm is still fine even for higher end headphones

But whatever I don't buy smartphones, flip phones or sliders are what I still use

Agreed. USB C or Lightning for headphones may be even more prone to damage as the phone and headphones are in constant motion. 

A better idea I would be behind is a Magsafe style connector. Little additional complexity for the phones and headphones, much safer for those with active lifestyles (albeit, very strong magnets would be required to avoid annoyances) and would be more robust than the 3.5mm.

A small, shallow hole where the headphone connector just snaps itself in with no force on your part. If something snags the cable and yanks it, instead of pulling out the entire phone from the pocket and dropping it, or damaging the connector, the connector simply separates itself from the phone's port. 

My eyes see the past…

30 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Agreed. USB C or Lightning for headphones may be even more prone to damage as the phone and headphones are in constant motion. 

A better idea I would be behind is a Magsafe style connector. Little additional complexity for the phones and headphones, much safer for those with active lifestyles (albeit, very strong magnets would be required to avoid annoyances) and would be more robust than the 3.5mm.

A small, shallow hole where the headphone connector just snaps itself in with no force on your part. If something snags the cable and yanks it, instead of pulling out the entire phone from the pocket and dropping it, or damaging the connector, the connector simply separates itself from the phone's port. 

Even with strong magnets though I can imagining Magsafe getting annoying pretty quickly. Personally I'm on the side of the 3.5 mil jack jus to maintain compatibility but I can see how an argument could be made for type-C.

i7-6700k | Cooler Master 212x | ASUS ROG Strix 1080 | 16 gigs Avexir Raiden Green RAM (because plasma tubes always improve performance) | ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING/AURA | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Green

Build Pre Water Cooling: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/np9J7P

31 minutes ago, why_ said:

Even with strong magnets though I can imagining Magsafe getting annoying pretty quickly. Personally I'm on the side of the 3.5 mil jack jus to maintain compatibility but I can see how an argument could be made for type-C.

In the case of Type-C, there would need to be a second port to allow for headphones use while charging. 

My eyes see the past…

Can't magnets be used for charging as well as data transmision? Wouldn't it be better for the cable's integrity if the input/output is on the back on the phone?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

On 9/15/2016 at 3:50 AM, ShadowCaptain said:

I reckon samsung should make hand grenades :)

No but really, the 3.5mm is dead - the problem is, we dont want competing proprietary standards

I guess USB C would be the way forwards, but it needs the problems ironing out before we all have to own 200 pairs of headphones to use all of our devices 

3.5mm audio is far from being dead; yes, it may be used less commonly for the general consumer, though is still very heavily used.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

3 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

In the case of Type-C, there would need to be a second port to allow for headphones use while charging. 

Yeah agreed. I think apple's decision was completely insane but at least the adoption of their proprietary port is well spread enough for it to be somewhat feasible (yay for dongles!! :P) I'm pretty sure Samsung would get screwed if they tried anything but dual USB C.

i7-6700k | Cooler Master 212x | ASUS ROG Strix 1080 | 16 gigs Avexir Raiden Green RAM (because plasma tubes always improve performance) | ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING/AURA | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Green

Build Pre Water Cooling: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/np9J7P

6 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

cant talk shit about apple now if samsung does it

Why not? Two companies being retarded does not make them both immune for being called out.

You can keep ridiculing both.

4 hours ago, Kimmers said:

I'm beginning to think Samsung is the ultimate iSheep.

Apple were not even the first to remote it. Motorola and a few other companies has been doing it for a while now, and even Intel has recommended it.

It's really weird how if like 5 companies does something, then a while later Apple does the same thing, then everyone else is somehow "copying" Apple. Sorry dude, but if anyone is "copying" someone else, then it's Apple copying Android manufacturers and Intel.

In before "but they were copying the iPhone based on rumors!".

It takes more than a few months to completely design, manufacture and ship a phone.

Also, I've been hearing about how the 3.5mm jack is going away for over 3 years now. Some guy on /g/ has made hundreds of threads over the year about how the 3.5mm headphone jack is the reason why phones are "so thick". Here is a thread from March 6, 2013 about it (and he did make several threads a week about it, almost daily).

Thankfully Apple and Samsung aren't the only good Smarphones manufacturers ...

CPU: i7 4790K | MB: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 32Go Hyper X Fury 1866MHz | GPU's: GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Corsair AX 850 | Storage: Vertex 3, 2x Sandisk Ultra II,Velociraptor | Case : Corsair Air 540

Mice: Steelseries Rival | KB: Corsair K70 RGB | Headset: Steelseries H wireless

7 hours ago, wcreek said:

Don't you dare do it Samsung, especially if you wanted to pull an Apple and go the proprietary route. 

I hope they use a proprietary connector instead. That way, the probability of chinaphones copying it goes from 5% to 0%. I'd like to have chinaphones with 3.5mm jacks if and when I break this one. 

7 hours ago, TheKDub said:

3.5mm audio is far from being dead; yes, it may be used less commonly for the general consumer, though is still very heavily used.

The jack is fine and far from dead. Can't say the same about some brains. 

Samsung should call it the 1,2mm jack and claim it extends your smartphone battery life xD! Which would leave more space for a bigger battery tough. Still, two ports is better than one port whose life has just been cut down by half, for audio and charging. Mightaswell get the Apple charging dock, if you wanna hear music trough the 3.5mm jack.

Groomlake Authority

I'd be somewhat ok with phones removing 3.5mm jacks if they used usb type c

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

2 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I hope they use a proprietary connector instead. That way, the probability of chinaphones copying it goes from 5% to 0%. I'd like to have chinaphones with 3.5mm jacks if and when I break this one. 

Idk if you buy your phones from reputable sources the fakes shouldn't be there.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Apple were not even the first to remote it. Motorola and a few other companies has been doing it for a while now, and even Intel has recommended it.

It's really weird how if like 5 companies does something, then a while later Apple does the same thing, then everyone else is somehow "copying" Apple. Sorry dude, but if anyone is "copying" someone else, then it's Apple copying Android manufacturers and Intel.

In before "but they were copying the iPhone based on rumors!".

It takes more than a few months to completely design, manufacture and ship a phone.

Also, I've been hearing about how the 3.5mm jack is going away for over 3 years now. Some guy on /g/ has made hundreds of threads over the year about how the 3.5mm headphone jack is the reason why phones are "so thick". Here is a thread from March 6, 2013 about it (and he did make several threads a week about it, almost daily).

I sort of wonder how many people actually believe Apple was the first to remove the headphone jack. I only knew about Motorola with the Moto Z though. Idk I really don't want to see the 3.5mm headphone jack to go away.

Like literally the only benefit I can see is that there's a little bit of space saved at the bottom since the PCB down there only needs to have one port on it. But it sounded like there were plenty people who want to see it go. So idk. I like charging my phone and listening to music through the 3.5mm headphone jack which is something I do occasionally. 

Idk I don't think phones should really get much thinner. 

Anyways if Samsung does decide to drop the headphone jack then hopefully either Google doesn't or HTC doesn't.  

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 hour ago, IMPERIUS said:

I'd be somewhat ok with phones removing 3.5mm jacks if they used usb type c

I think it'd be a little more tolerable if phones dropped 3.5mm jacks and went type c because then it would create the same universal aspect 3.5mm has.

2 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

The jack is fine and far from dead. Can't say the same about some brains. 

Yeah but in a lot of cases it would have far less usability.

That second part, quite true.