Samsung thinking about 3.5 jack

NinjaCode
1 hour ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I actually have no idea, no details on it, I assume that it has a little dac inside the cable - but surelt the phone still has a dac to power the built in speakers? or am I wrong - I have no idea

Could USB C have a DAC in the cable? idk

USB C is such a mess, its so promising, but maybe it just does TOO much

I dont really know what the answer is sadly, but there must be something 

well, yeah it does have a DAC. However the DAC is shit, judging from Austin's experience with lightning headphones on the iPhone 6-they sounded a lot better over lighting than they did over the 3.5mm cable that came with them.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

12 hours ago, JAKEBAB said:

I personally don't care about the headphone jack when there are tons of external dac/amps which are 98% the time far better than whats in your phone anyway. What has me worried though is this propriety connector, thats just pure bs and making me regret getting the note 7 even more :/

E.g

Reveal hidden contents

7a74f2b0_zwischenablage01_621124.jpeg

Mobile dac/amps are even more inconvenient than spaghetti adapters. 

- snip-

47 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I dont think anyone cares as long as everything is standardised, having to buy new headphones or an adapter, is one thing

I don't think most people will care, but I think the move to type-C would be a several steps backwards in a lot of areas, unless there is analog pass-though.

49 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Im still on the fence whether or not this is all worth it, I mean the dac in the iPhone isnt THAT bad with 3.5mm headphones, certainly its not ear bleedingly awful, and anyone who is serious could already use lightning headphones, an external dac, or a proper audio player/pc etc

The DAC in the iPhone is really good last time I checked. I wouldn't be surprised if the DAC in the Lightning to 3.5mm converter is worse.

29 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

well, yeah it does have a DAC. However the DAC is shit, judging from Austin's experience with lightning headphones on the iPhone 6-they sounded a lot better over lighting than they did over the 3.5mm cable that came with them.

I saw that video and it has one major flaw. It was not a blind test. You can not test audio quality when you know which source is which. You will undoubtedly experience placebo regardless of how unbiased you try to be. Very good talk about this:

Any audio testing that is not a blind test should be throw out the window, because it is worthless.

8 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I don't think most people will care, but I think the move to type-C would be a several steps backwards in a lot of areas, unless there is analog pass-though.

The DAC in the iPhone is really good last time I checked. I wouldn't be surprised if the DAC in the Lightning to 3.5mm converter is worse.

Any audio testing that is not a blind test should be throw out the window, because it is worthless.

Step back why? and yes a pass through would be necessary for anything with a decent dac and for using old passive headphones etc

Yeah Ive seen tons of tests the iPhone DAC is pretty good, obviously its not up there with crazy expensive stand alone ones, but for the purposes of listening to music on the go, its fine

Agreed, blind audio testing is wrong, and a further point, you never know if apple made other audio upgrades other than the cable such as upgraded drivers etc

EDIT

my thoughts, im in 2 minds, ive had no issues with 3,5mm headphones, and they sound great, if lightning/usb whatever headphones sound better, save space in the phone and have other tangible benefits, im all for removing it and moving forward, as long as there is a new universal standard, or we can get lossless bluetooth streaming and good battery life)

I feel like we are not ready yet, but Apple are often one to push the boat out a bit too early, and almost force the market to move with the times

its going to be awkawrd until it gets sorted in a few years

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

3 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I said before, USB C is a mess and needs ironing out, the replacement would be lossless transmission over bluetooth I guess

Or for Apple to release lightning to everyone, or for USB C to be fixed

I appreciate there is no "set" replacement yet, but companies will experiment with things over the next while until something comes along that everyone can adopt!

I imagine if USB C was actually a complete, and safe standard, then even Apple would have put it on the phone, like its on the macbook etc 

What USB C mess? and whats not complete about it?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

What USB C mess? and whats not complete about it?

For a start that it can destroy stuff

http://www.androidcentral.com/usb-c-problem-isnt-going-away-anytime-soon

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'll just go buy a used note 4 or something lmao not even a big deal for me

Shipping sucks

I like Samsung but if they do this I'll never buy one of their phones again.

It's a stupid move, it doesn't make any sense.

We are not retarded, less does not mean more. 

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

All this is is cable manufactures making cables out of spec and/or not testing them properly. Its is not a USB C problem it is shitty manufacture problem.

Their is a issue like this with Ethernet cables, I saw a article that tested a few Ethernet cables and found most of them don't meet spec, but its not a issue with short length cables.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

3 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

There is the obvious Note 7 fiasco but there's also been an S7 & a Galaxy Core which have exploded too. 

I was making a battery expansion joke. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

16 hours ago, PLME888 said:

We buy the phones, we control what they make, if they remove a feature and nobody buys it. They'll learn from it.

well, you see even if iphone 7 removes the jack and brings no benefit, a lot ppl still buy it. why? becuz they have loyal customers that wont judge logically. Plus, the android market is nearly monopoly by samsung, and if both fapple and samsung bomb all do it, the choice of other phones is very limited, 1+ is fine but they only make 5.5", sony is overpriced and not impressive camera, LG is doing their own shit of removable battery with shitty build quality. HTC is nearly a dead company with subpar products. And all the chinese phones copy IOS interface and make it even uglier (imo).

We run out of choice of other good phones if samsung and apple removes the jack but still provide other feature top of the line. That is the sad part of this industry now. Just like the monopoly in PC market, intel and nvidia controls the market not customer.

On 14/09/2016 at 10:19 AM, ivan134 said:

Samsung and Apple are not the only phone manufactures so I'm not worried

Well, you are not worried that the two companies that got 40% of the smartphone marketshare in Q1 of this present year start a trend for other manufacturers to follow after?

On 14/09/2016 at 10:41 AM, Castdeath97 said:

Not a deal breaker for me, a shame but something I can live with if they include the adapter.

My answer to this. ''it will replace it with a proprietary port.''

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

welcome back to 2005

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

42 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

welcome back to 2005

The Gameboy advance SP says hi!

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

6 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

2.5mm jacks were ditched because the wires were prone to breaking at the jack very quickly. 

Well...it's not that hard to make a wire more durable is it? They really don't have an excuse to not have a headphone jack when they could use 2.5mm ports which are smaller in every dimension allowing their devices to get thinner (and smaller) :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Why do companies want their own custom ports either use 3.5 or use USB C. Agree to a standard please.

so long as htc and the other manufacturers stick to 3.5 mm I can er their tocks and market share going way up.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

15 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well...it's not that hard to make a wire more durable is it? They really don't have an excuse to not have a headphone jack when they could use 2.5mm ports which are smaller in every dimension allowing their devices to get thinner (and smaller) :P 

You can only go so small before the wire's gauge become too fragile.Then there's the case where the cable tears at the connector. The only way to make the cables more durable would be to use a single thick covering uniformly from the connector to the headphones.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Unpopular opinion: Get rid of both the 3.5mm jack and USB connection in favor of better water and dust proofing. Wireless charging, blue-tooth, Wifi and NFC offer more than enough connectivity. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

2 hours ago, Thomas_Bam said:

Why do companies want their own custom ports either use 3.5 or use USB C. Agree to a standard please.

Nope, they never will. Companies see that if they force their customers to buy extras/connectors that are only sold by them, they make a lot more money.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

I like how these companies are trying to put on a green face and then spit it back at you by forcing you to buy more crap or in the case of Apple, something that has a battery in it which will last about a year or two at best with heavy usage before it becomes unable to hold a satisfactory charge.

This is kind of why I avoided wireless audio. They have unreplaceable batteries that have a shelf life of a few years.

Samsung had better not bloody do this, I've only recently started to like them again and decided to get an S7, now they're going to stab us all in the back in the pursuit of following on apple's coattails. Given the S7 series has been so incredibly good, I really do think they will need to assess the situation before making such a drastic decision.

You were the chosen one Samsung, I don't want to have to go back to Sony, not after last time.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

If they do my note 7 will be my last samsung phone. 

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

21 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Unpopular opinion: Get rid of both the 3.5mm jack and USB connection in favor of better water and dust proofing. Wireless charging, blue-tooth, Wifi and NFC offer more than enough connectivity. 

And what will you do if you ever want to back up your phone to a pc or flash a rom.... bluetooth headphones suck too btw. Way too lossy.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|