iTel Bonded Internet

I had a chuckle at the timing of this videos release.  I just wrote my Peplink Certified Engineer exam today!

I set this type of thing up at my company about 3 years ago.  We have branches all over the country with very poor connectivity options (4Mbps ADSL and not very good 3G in some places).

We use Peplink Balance 310 routers which are awesome.  Unfortunately, they've more than doubled in price over the past year or so.  Currently, their cheapest model which would do bonding is probably the Balance One Core with the SpeedFusion upgrade, which will likely cost you about $1500.  This is enterprise grade stuff though. 

We haven't had so much as a hiccup from any of our units.  Our head office Balance 580 was up 24/7 for over 300 days before I rebooted it for a firmware upgrade.

They have a new SOHO router coming out soon, but I'm guessing it's too much to hope that it will have bonding included at it's price point.

meanwhile in Orange County CA.. 25 down 2.5 up...

I miss school... 100 up and down in Boston

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

peplinks doubling up in price? Thats terrible considering that they dont offer that much benefit for speed compared to mikrotik. You could set up the same thing on a linux box though.

You know this was possibe like 10 years ago, right? TekSavvy has been doing this for ages. They even supply (or used to, no longer a customer) pre-programmed routers running 3rd party firmware to do this at the router.

No "black box" required....

All this talk about having multiple devices to bond ADSL... 

I almost want to cry. Here I live in a small town in the middle of TN with a population of less then 1K & my local phone co-op has a better solution than this. I currently run a bonded VDSL service. They have made use of both twisted pair in a single phone jack to deliver two independent sources to my modem/router. The phone line is split into its separate twisted pair. The service is bonded in the modem. My modem is a ZyXel  VMG-4325. 

I have 50 up & 10 down by bonding two 25/5 lines.. this cost me $80 usd plus $10 for bonding fee... I can't post a speed test because I'm not currently at home but I see roughly 47+m down & 9+ m upload with an average ping of 21ms

Higher speeds are offered locally up to 100/25 but as you go higher the cost greatly increases yet the upload doesn't. We are expecting to see fiber to homes in the next year with increased speeds.. 

Verizon internet at my parents house in the middle of nowhere!

5631618143.png

And I'm sitting here like... what did I do right?

5631920559.png

I try to answer the best I can. 

Please realize that 95% of issues can be solved through Google.  I'll try to help,  but you need to Google yourself.  

This is actually something Dutch ISP deliver as a service.
If you get all the fancy DSL stuff, like bonding and vectoring DL speeds of 200Mbit/s are already possible.
You'll have a BVVDSL connection. (Bonded Vectored Very-high-bitrate Digital Subscriber Line)

Well it's not really bonding (link aggregation). But rather a VPN router that splits the packets then forwards it to the server. 

Honestly you could do this with a pfSense box and your own VPS for a hell of a lot cheaper. My guess is that after somebody in the pfSense community sees this video they'll build an open source solution. Rendering iTel pretty useless except for the people who have more money than brains and can be bothered to setup something.

• Combine up to 5 different network connections
  • Reach 900 Mbps of bandwidth, with options for (QoS) and routing protection
  • Encrypt traffic between sites using 128 or 256 bit encryption
  • Support increasing bandwidth needs, diverse applications, and multiple on-net locations

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

12 minutes ago, AdamIsaacLang said:

Well it's not really bonding (link aggregation). But rather a VPN router that splits the packets then forwards it to the server. 

Honestly you could do this with a pfSense box and your own VPS for a hell of a lot cheaper. My guess is that after somebody in the pfSense community sees this video they'll build an open source solution. Rendering iTel pretty useless except for the people who have more money than brains and can be bothered to setup something.

iTel is just one of the companies that offer it. Problem with using a linux box and vps is that very few have the capability of doing it.

You can load balance multiple links or bond. Different results and different usage.

Just now, System Error Message said:

iTel is just one of the companies that offer it. Problem with using a linux box and vps is that very few have the capability of doing it.

You can load balance multiple links or bond. Different results and different usage.

With OpenBSD you can build it from the ground up quite easily. 

Just now, AdamIsaacLang said:

With OpenBSD you can build it from the ground up quite easily. 

But how many actually know about doing that and can do that? For people like us learning something new in software is easy. For others Its like someone telling you to grow all your own food instead of buying in order to save money and make the best food with the most fresh ingredients with the ingredients being under your control.

Just now, System Error Message said:

But how many actually know about doing that and can do that? For people like us learning something new in software is easy. For others Its like someone telling you to grow all your own food instead of buying in order to save money and make the best food with the most fresh ingredients with the ingredients being under your control.

I never said it was for the faint of heart. But if this got enough traction then it could become a cheap service with consumer routers starting to support it. Just like how DDNS became a thing on consumer hardware.

5632316623.png   

So here I am on Telus with a dual link DSL, two phone lines into the modem and this is my result while still watching the video and wife watching netflix. Can't wait for that 150/150 to get here in the coming months.

20 hours ago, nicklmg said:

in my area, we have 30/10 business grade internet speeds. for $60/mo. c: 

static ip. unlimited bandwidth.

19 hours ago, zMeul said:

8$/month:

5629681337.png

• unlimited traffic
  • two WiFi accounts for use around the country where they have public hot spots
  • two e-mail addresses
  • dynamic DNS

1530190049.png

$100/mo

• My isp may have accidentally doubled our speed. We pay for 100/10 but.. free doubling is free! 
  • Free AC router that isnt a piece of shit.. only complaint is that it overheats and is passively cooled 
  • Close to static ip. Hasn't changed for the past few months from what ive noticed..

canada also, land of the fuck you in isps. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Linus COULD move to a new build subdivision with Telus' FTTH as another solution....

Linus is wrong about the load balancing router I did the exact same thing he did about a year a go and my speed is doubled the reason I did is cause I live in a rual area and the fastest internet is 10mb download and I use the load balancing router he featured in the video

why are the ads on your videos so much louder than the actual videos? i keep having to adjust the volume

iTel is calling this a bonded internet, but a lot of other companies and startups oriented more towards business like to call it SDWAN (that's software defined wan).

I can see potential issues with having to connect your home internet to a 3rd party service in order for it to work as intended.

I know, it's like your basic VPN service anyway, but the fact that you can't turn it off and still enjoy the bandwidth you paid for is a thing to consider.

For companies (and as mentioned in the video, festivals and other popup-style business) this can be a great solution.

So is this basically like the Riverbed WAN optimization stuff?

-KuJoe

On 9/14/2016 at 1:12 AM, Huskyhunter said:

So for a college student who has 2 active ports in his room, could I get one of those bonders and use that to double my total speed?

Nope. They need to be from seprate modems.

Linus rolling in Youtube Vessel $$$ to have 2 telus lines as well as the iTel service.   Telus internet 50 packages are not cheap ($80 per month),so that's 2x$80 (2 telus lines) plus $110 (iTel) for $270 per month before tax.  Telus 50 has a data cap of 450 GB so he'll need to spend another $30 (2x 15) for unlimited bandwidth, which makes a total of $300 per month.  Is it really worth it for the average consumer? As stated in the video, Shaw has been aggressively pushing their 150/15 internet.  2 year contract for $50 per month in the first year and $80 per month in the second year.  After that you pay the regular price $135 per month.

I think for the majority of users, bonding 2 ISP connections is just not worth the extra expense when it's just cheaper to upgrade to a higher tier internet package.  In Linus's case, I think it's better to just get a business account, despite his argument that it's more expensive.  The most expensive Shaw business internet (150/15) runs you $120 per month on a 3 year contract, much lower than bonding 2 telus lines.

13 hours ago, KuJoe said:

So is this basically like the Riverbed WAN optimization stuff?

That's a different kind of optimization. I think Riverbed WOCs use a lot of caches and such to make a slow internet connection work faster when a lot of people with similar network needs use it.

Might be somewhat wrong though, never really studied those things.

On 2016/09/14 at 10:23 AM, CristiOpri said:

Oh well...add 2$ more

5627783371.png

$50/Month 600GB Threshold before throttle:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5640039493.png

A few thoughts for the Record...

Linus Great Video! But I dare you & challenge to you... Try bonding LTE, it doesn't work! Nope..I'm a Wireless Network Engineer and I've never seen anybody that's been able to bond a LTE connection for increased speed. I've tried with several big name providers like Peplink doesn't work. Try finding a LTE bonding video where the speeds are increased? You won't find it, it doesn't exist.

Linus you could be like the Great Mythbusters of Tech, this would be an excellent experiment. See how fast of a 4G mobile connection you can get. Think about how cool it would be to fluidly live stream etc.. It's like see how fast you can drive a Ferrari but it's a geek way of Need for Speed. So continuing on with my rant... For example I have a solid Verizon XLTE or LTE-A connection I easily & consistently get 40Mbps down and 20 Mps up. I've tried Peplink routers with their service and I actually got slower speeds with 2 bonded connections than 1 LTE connection. It's the nature of how the LTE technology works. I've tested this extensively for months but it's a false claim. Sure wired connections work, but bonding LTE connections for speed, does not work.

I would love to see someone getting this to work. The sad part is not even peplink could make it work.... So I don't believe any claims that LTE bonding works, yea you might get like a few extra Mbps in speeds, if that, but it doesn't perform anything like a wired connection. Try it sometime! And if anyone can prove me work hats off to you. For those of you interested in this topic check Multi Path TCP/IP it's a Bonding like protocol.