Windows 10 detecting wrong CPU frequency

str4vag

Hey

I am trying to upgrade my Win10 to the anniversary update. However, the update assistant says that my CPU is not compatible. It seems that Windows only detects my 4690K running at 0.80GHz all the time. CPU-Z and Asus AI Suite detects my CPU at 4.2GHz. 

Is there a way to get windows to see the correct clock speed?

800 MHz is the speed it will drop down to when it doesn't need to do anything difficult.  The upgrade tool should be able to detect the full speed it's capable of regardless though... very strange.  If you run an intensive program, do you notice the speed step up or does it never go above 800 MHz?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Yup. I tried running cpu-z stress test and monitoring the reported frequency on task manager, still 0.80GHz the whole time.

21 minutes ago, str4vag said:

Hey

I am trying to upgrade my Win10 to the anniversary update. However, the update assistant says that my CPU is not compatible. It seems that Windows only detects my 4690K running at 0.80GHz all the time. CPU-Z and Asus AI Suite detects my CPU at 4.2GHz. 

Is there a way to get windows to see the correct clock speed?

Could just reset your bios and reinstall windows

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

All the time meaning under load?

EDIT: obviously. You wouldn't happen to have an ASUS MoBo would you?

Asus MoBo. Maximus VII Gene. Is this a known issue with Asus MoBo?

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

800 MHz is the speed it will drop down to when it doesn't need to do anything difficult.  The upgrade tool should be able to detect the full speed it's capable of regardless though... very strange.  If you run an intensive program, do you notice the speed step up or does it never go above 800 MHz?

No change when doing stress test via CPU-Z

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Could just reset your bios and reinstall windows

Is that the only solution? I really want to avoid going that route.

3 minutes ago, str4vag said:

No change when doing stress test via CPU-Z

Then something is preventing it from ramping up, which would explain why the upgrade tool detected it as 800 MHz; for all intents and purposes, it is (for now).  Usually the first place I'd check would be the Windows Power Options, but for some reason I feel like that's likely not the issue here.  Still, have a quick look ;) 

It should look something like this

Capture.PNG

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I would head over to window power options and chose the 'Performance Profile" as this prevent ramping down for clock speed and will run at max. 

Magical Pineapples

5 minutes ago, str4vag said:

Is that the only solution? I really want to avoid going that route.

It's always the quickest way to fix windows

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

A solution also appears to be to disable some of the power management settings in your BIOS (UEFI). Find the setting for Set NX Bit (No Execute Bit) & disable it. It might read 'Processor execute disable bit' or similar. Set it to disabled (from auto or enabled). That appears to have fixed other i7 issues with the CPU on upgrades. 

If successful, I am however unsure if you should re-enable it, as I haven't the foggiest idea what that setting does!

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Then something is preventing it from ramping up, which would explain why the upgrade tool detected it as 800 MHz; for all intents and purposes, it is (for now).  Usually the first place I'd check would be the Windows Power Options, but for some reason I feel like that's likely not the issue here.  Still, have a quick look ;) 

3 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

I would head over to window power options and chose the 'Performance Profile" as this prevent ramping down for clock speed and will run at max. 

Did that and no change. already on high performance mode.

3 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2480992/windows-task-manager-showing-wrong-cpu-clock.html For this guy, it was the configured max CPU power in the ASUS turbo tool

I don't have that tool installed. 

2 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

A solution also appears to be to disable some of the power management settings in your BIOS (UEFI). Find the setting for Set NX Bit (No Execute Bit) & disable it. It might read 'Processor execute disable bit' or similar. Set it to disabled (from auto or enabled). That appears to have fixed other i7 issues with the CPU on upgrades.  

Will try that later. Currently at work, and I am accessing the home PC via Team viewer. So cannot access the BIOS right now.

1 minute ago, str4vag said:

Did that and no change. already on high performance mode.

Alright well it was worth a try.  Like I said though, I'm not surprised that wasn't the issue.  I feel like there's a setting deeper than any software in Windows... like somewhere in the BIOS perhaps?

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Do you have any ASUS overclocking or "central hub" software on your PC?

I have AI Suite installed.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Alright well it was worth a try.  Like I said though, I'm not surprised that wasn't the issue.  I feel like there's a setting deeper than any software in Windows... like somewhere in the BIOS perhaps?

Possibly. Might have to play around with the settings in the BIOS later when I can access it.

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

Try looking for anything CPU/power management related and see if it makes sense

Going through the settings now. But the apps detects my CPU at my OC clockedspeed of 4.2GHz BCLK at 100MHz and ratio at 42. It should be working fine. 

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I feel like there's a setting deeper than any software in Windows

I feel like that about life sometimes, there must a lifestyle that is; deeper!

Oh well, to the O/P, if all else fails you re-set BIOS completely you could just re-set BIOS & load the defaults & see if that works, it has a nagging BIOS feel to it (you have set to UEFI not legacy BIOS as well, I made that mistake more than once after re-setting BIOS and forgot to switch it back to UEFI boot, not legacy).

Then there is the remove everything except the HDD CPU & GPU & see if that will work (with default BIOS) just in case there is an error with something else, (though that's unlikely given its being so specific about the CPU being at fault).

Just now, Gordon Bennett said:

I feel like that about life sometimes, there must a lifestyle that is; deeper!

Oh well, to the O/P, if all else fails you re-set BIOS completely and just load defaults & see if that works, it has a nagging BIOS feel to it (you have set to UEFI not legacy BIOS as well, I made that mistake more than once after re-setting BIOS and forgot to switch it back to UEFI boot, not legacy).

Then there is the remove everything except the HDD CPU & GPU & see if that will work (with default BIOS) just in case there is an error with something else, (though that's unlikely given its being so specific about the CPU being at fault).

Thanks. Will see if that works once I get physical access to the PC later today.

Solved this. For now. Got into the bios and turned off speed step and turbo. Currently downloading the update. will revert back to my original settings once the update is done. 

Thanks guys.