Dell Japan revealed XPS 13 with Kaby Lake CPU

snowComet

Dell Japan today officially revealed the new XPS 13 featuring Kaby Lake CPU, which the spec fit the info leaked from Dell.com a few days ago (u can read here: http://www.windowscentral.com/dell-xps-13-getting-intel-7th-gen-kaby-lake).

xs13_1024x768a.jpg

xs13_1024x768b.jpg

The new XPS 13 is a minimum upgrade from the old one. It still feature the same chassis, display, ram,and etc. Dell upgraded the CPU/GPU, NIC and battery of the new XPS 13. The new XPS 13 in Japan will feature either a i5 7200U, or i7 7500U, which both featured Intel HD Graphics 620 (no Iris Pro option was announced). Interestingly, Dell upgraded the Wifi module with a Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi & Bluetooth 4.1, thus the new XPS 13 supports MU-MIMO (Multiuser multiple input, multiple output). Pls noted that you need a MU-MIMO supported router for this feature to work. Different from the leak, the ram speed on all models was kept at 1866MHz. Lastly, the new one has a larger battery, upgraded from 56Whr to a 60Whr one.

Spec list of the new XPS 13 in Japan

xs13_593x673.jpg

Only FHD ver of the new XPS 13 is now on pre-order in Japan, and will be shipped in late Oct. The availability of QHD+ ver is still TBA. Priced ranged from 124980 yen (~$1227) to 194980 yen (~$1914).

http://www.gdm.or.jp/pressrelease/2016/0913/177883( in Japanese)

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1019728.html(in Japanese)

Eh, it's not as thin, light, stylish, and powerful as the Kaby Lake MacBook will be. No one cares about Dell anymore. :P

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Someone in my class has a laptop with i7 7500U :P

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

36 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Eh, it's not as thin, light, stylish, and powerful as the Kaby Lake MacBook will be. No one cares about Dell anymore. :P

and neither of those two are as sexy as the HP Spectre.

Also, MB is shit. The only real mac worthwhile investing in is the MB-Pro

16 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

I bet we won't see any Kaby Lake Macbook Pros until 2017.

There won't be any Kaby Lake CPUs with GT3e or GT4e Graphics available until 2017

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

Yeah, but this one is actually useable.

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

A lot of the hate towards Dell seems to come from the period of mismanagement in the late 2000's in which every laptop they sold was cheap plastic crap. I was a diehard Levono Thinkpad fan but the Dell XPS 17 really won me over. The past 2 years Dell has really put out some stellar laptops.

As relating to the actual topic, I just hope they put a Polaris chip in the next XPS 17. I'm sick of all the arbitrary multi-monitor restrictions of Nvidia, and as a heavy multi-monitor user I need something that will actually work.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

13 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

You are comparing it to a nonexistent product that will most likely come with one port again (given the fact that Apple has been eliminating ports left and right and the previous macbook only had one too).....dongles aren't stylish. At the very least, this has USB A ports, SD card reader, a dedicated charging port, and a USB C port. If a solid slab of aluminum is stylish to you then, good for you. People still want laptops for productivity.

Also in terms of performance, has there ever been any indication that the new MB would have a higher CPU than the i7 7500U?

3 minutes ago, Brinith said:

You are comparing it to a nonexistent product that will most likely come with one port again (given the fact that Apple has been eliminating ports left and right and the previous macbook only had one too).....dongles aren't stylish. Also in terms of performance, has there ever been any indication that the new MB would have a higher CPU than the i7 7500U?

It won't, and besides... The generation to generation comparison between the Macbook and XPS 13 actually has the XPS13 thinner, and lighter. (although much more dense feeling due to it's smaller footprint. I've actually done the comparison and we had to take out a scale because people didn't believe it.)

Anyways... The i5 in the U lineup is always the sweet-spot, and moving to a better wifi card solves literally the only issue I could possibly claim to have with the XPS 13 personally.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

57 minutes ago, Brinith said:

You are comparing it to a nonexistent product that will most likely come with one port again (given the fact that Apple has been eliminating ports left and right and the previous macbook only had one too).....dongles aren't stylish. At the very least, this has USB A ports, SD card reader, a dedicated charging port, and a USB C port. If a solid slab of aluminum is stylish to you then, good for you. People still want laptops for productivity.

Also in terms of performance, has there ever been any indication that the new MB would have a higher CPU than the i7 7500U?

Apple products always have the best performance, even for gaming.

Also, 1 port is too many. I want a completely wireless solution. At least Apple got with the times and is cutting back. You people are so stuck in the Stone Age. :P

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

2 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Apple products always have the best performance, even for gaming.

Also, 1 port is too many. I want a completely wireless solution. At least Apple got with the times and is cutting back. You people are so stuck in the Stone Age. :P

*Warning Sarcasm Detected*

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

6 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

*Warning Sarcasm Detected*

I'm surprised no one got it with the first post. Everyone here knows I don't like Apple products much other than the MBP keyboard.

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

I'm surprised no one got it with the first post. Everyone here knows I don't like Apple products much other than the MBP keyboard.

Some people can't read sarcasm. I don't blame them as it is difficult sometimes. Reason why I use /s to make it more than obvious.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

I really like my fiance's XPS13 and think of ditching my Lenovo Y40-80(GPU throttles like hell) for one or an XPS15

I'm typing this reply on a Skylake XPS 13 that I bought only a couple months ago...maybe I should have waited? When the Kaby Lake comes out this one might get cheaper...

4 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

-snip-

But Patrick, i got it with the 1st post :(. You disapoint me xD

Groomlake Authority

On 9/13/2016 at 7:40 AM, patrickjp93 said:

Maybe, but I already see enough ports in there to care more about it than Apple's 1 port stupidity.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 hours ago, Cooly568 said:

Really hoping some refurbed models of the 7200U FHD 8GB RAM versions come out, make it cheaper for me. That'd be great.

Else I'll just go with a 6200U model.

The certified refurbs are significantly cheaper than retail...I got my Skylake XPS13 certified refurbed for about $600 off the sticker price. I'm not sure why anyone would buy brand new at this point hahaha

17 minutes ago, Cooly568 said:

600$? How the heck did you find one that low? Is it a 4GB RAM model? The lowest I can find is 800$ for the 6200U, FHD, 8GB RAM model.

OP got it $600 off MSRP, which was about the same or more for me. I picked up a i7 6500U version with QHD+ and 256GB of storage for just $1500 CAD off of eBay. My seller shipped it from Florida, so I did have to change the warranty to a different country.

24 minutes ago, Cooly568 said:

600$? How the heck did you find one that low? Is it a 4GB RAM model? The lowest I can find is 800$ for the 6200U, FHD, 8GB RAM model.

It was the 6200U with 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, QHD display and Windows 10 Pro. I got it from eBay for $849+$17 shipping. As configured on Dell's website, a new one would have costed around $1500.

Maybe it was just luck, but a couple of other sellers were selling that configuration for around that price as well when I bought it. There were some light scuff marks on the aluminum edge underneath one of the USB ports, but that was it as far as cosmetic blemishes go. 

4 minutes ago, Magnetorheological said:

It was the 6200U with 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, QHD display and Windows 10 Pro. I got it from eBay for $849+$17 shipping. As configured on Dell's website, a new one would have costed around $1500, so around $600 off.

Maybe it was just luck, but a couple of other sellers were selling that configuration for around that price as well when I bought it. There were some light scuff marks on the aluminum edge underneath one of the USB ports, but that was it as far as cosmetic blemishes go. 

I don't know why this post was duplicated when I posted my previous reply. Is there a way to delete it? -Thanks!

Edited by Magnetorheological

4 minutes ago, Cooly568 said:

Oh, I'm looking at FHD models with those specs for 800$ on eBay or so. I just hope Kaby Lake refurbished models show up at around the same price by the Holidays.

That might be cutting it a bit close...The Kaby Lake models don't release until October 4th, I think. It may be more realistic to start looking for those prices after new years imo.

Still only a dual core.  I7 u series are not worth it over i5 or even i3 because there is only a slightly bigger cache and higher clockspeed 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro