Does DVI support 1440p

LordKage

I just bought a Dell U2515H 1440p and my GPU is a MSI r9 380. The DP and HDMI ports on my GPU are currently taken, only the DVI is available. The Dell monitor only has connectors for HDMI and Display Port.

What are my options? I need a converter that can handle 1440p 60hz

2 minutes ago, LordKage said:

I just bought a Dell U2515H 1440p and my GPU is a MSI r9 380. The DP and HDMI ports on my GPU are currently taken, only the DVI is available. The Dell monitor only has connectors for HDMI and Display Port.

Yes, DVI can do that for you

A single-link DVI connector can display a max resolution of 1920×1200 but a dual-link DVI can go up to 2560x1600.

So if it's dual link, you're good.

tuzbC.png

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

9 minutes ago, Stylized_Violence said:

Yes, DVI can do that for you

IF it's dual link, with a dual link cable. 

Unfortunately going form DVI-D to DP or HDMI (above 1920x1200)...not sure 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

12 minutes ago, LordKage said:

just get a DVI to HDMI cable -- and make sure its a Dual Link DVI, and yes they do make DVI to HDMI cables

heres the amazon basics DVI to HDMI cable: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-HDMI-DVI-Adapter-Cable/dp/B014I8UU2W/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1473717027&sr=8-5&keywords=dvi+to+hdmi+cable

4 minutes ago, theanimun said:

just get a DVI to HDMI cable -- and make sure its a Dual Link DVI, and yes they do make DVI to HDMI cables

heres the amazon basics DVI to HDMI cable

that will not support above 1920x1200 

edit

now that you linked it I take that back, reviews confirm it. Didn't know that cable existed, thought that required active conversion. Ordering one right now. 

another edit- some people are having trouble with it, though I think going from hdmi to dl-dvi. I think itll work in OPs case, but not mine trying to connect a DL-DVI 1440p monitor. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

another edit- some people are having trouble with it, though I think going from hdmi to dl-dvi. I think itll work in OPs case, but not mine trying to connect a DL-DVI 1440p monitor. 

I will be going from DL-DVI GPU to HDMI monitor. I notice a lot of complains on amazon reviews as well which is why I made this tread to begin with.

5 minutes ago, LordKage said:

I will be going from DL-DVI GPU to HDMI monitor. I notice a lot of complains on amazon reviews as well which is why I made this tread to begin with.

Well I will have that cord wednesday either way. I'll certainly be testing it. 

muh specs 

All parts black

@LordKage @Syntaxvgm

You were right about dvi to DP not working over a passive cable, but Single link DVI-D/I and Dual link DVI-D/I will all go to HDMI, there can be some issues in some cases if the source and input support different versions (older) of HDMI which is why it wont work on some monitors, but this should work fine; also you can 'technically' use a single link DVI-D (On a dual link port) to HDMI and that would still work but that's pretty irrelevant. 

Also I'm not sure if it was this exact model, but I think I remember some people having to set a custom resolution for their Dell U2515H to get it working with a DVI to HDMI cable as it wasn't detected automatically, so if it doesn't work 1st time try that before giving up!

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

11 minutes ago, o0Martin said:

@LordKage @Syntaxvgm

You were right about dvi to DP not working over a passive cable, but Single link DVI-D/I and Dual link DVI-D/I will all go to HDMI, there can be some issues in some cases if the source and input support different versions (older) of HDMI which is why it wont work on some monitors, but I'm assuming both use HDMI 1.4, which can run 1440p @ 60Hz fine; also you can 'technically' use a single link DVI-D to HDMI and that would still work but that's pretty irrelevant. 

Also I'm not sure if it was this exact model, but I think I remember some people having to set a custom resolution for their Dell U2515H to get it working with a DVI to HDMI cable as it wasn't detected automatically, so if it doesn't work 1st time try that before giving up!

yah some years ago I looked for a solution to this, and I was told the conversion would need to be active for some reason, and thus that's why a solution didn't exist. Surprised to find a cable that claims it, and I'll be excited to get it to work. I have 2 1440p korean monitors on one of my desks, and one of them only has DL-DVI. I have a laptop dock hooked up to them using active dp> dl-dvi converters, and a couple of machines hooked up to one of the screens that has hdmi. The problem is as far as a DP or DL-DVI matrix goes, expensive and often shitty. If this works, this means I'll be able to put one of the screens on an HDMI matrix, which would allow me to use multiple systems on BOTH screens, which would kick ass. 

muh specs 

All parts black

36 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

yah some years ago I looked for a solution to this,a nd I was told the convesion would need to be active for some reason, and thus that's why a solution didn't exist. Suprised to find a cable that claims it, and I'll be excited to get it to work. I have 2 1440p korean monitors on one of my desks, and one of them only has DL-DVI. I have a laptop dock hooked up to them using active dp> dl-dvi converters, and a couple of machines hooked up to one of the screens that has hdmi. The problem is as far as a DP or DL-DVI matrix goes, expensive and often shitty. If this works, this means I'll be able to put one of the screens on an HDMI matrix, which would allow me to use multiple systems on BOTH screens, which would kick ass. 

So wait, the monitor has DL-DVI? And you want to do HDMI out to DVI in? 

DVI is a bitch when it comes to adapters, if you try and do HDMI or DP (Over a passive cable) to Dual Link DVI then that wont work, well it may give you something, maybe a Single Link DVI connection with no audio, but it wont do 1440p. (Edit: I should be more clear, I mean not @60Hz)

When it comes to DVI there is one (well technically 4) way to get it to work passively to another standard, and that's only DVI to HDMI (Non reversible). 

So you may have to live with your active DP to DL-DVI solution a bit longer, sorry :(

Edit: I think I see the confusion, I only just clicked the link for the cable. Amazon should have worded the title DVI to HDMI, not the other way around, if you read the description they correct themselves, but the title is very misleading. 

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

15 minutes ago, o0Martin said:

So wait, the monitor has DL-DVI? And you want to do HDMI out to DVI in? 

DVI is a bitch when it comes to adapters, if you try and do HDMI or DP (Over a passive cable) to Dual Link DVI then that wont work, well it may give you something, maybe a Single Link DVI connection with no audio, but it wont do 1440p.

When it comes to DVI there is one (well technically 4) way to get it to work passively to another standard, and that's only DVI to HDMI (Non reversible). 

So you may have to live with your active DP to DL-DVI solution a bit longer, sorry :(

Edit: I think I see the confusion, I only just clicked the link for the cable. Amazon should have worded the title DVI to HDMI, not the other way around, if you read the description they correct themselves, but the title is very misleading. 

this is what I thought, but from what you posted I thought you were contradicting that. Eh, I'll try it. I saw a review that cl aimed to do exactly what I'm doing. If it only works the other way it's still a cable I can use. 

muh specs 

All parts black

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

this is what I thought, but from what you posted I thought you were contradicting that. Eh, I'll try it. If it only works the other way it's still a cable I can use. 

Yeah my bad, I didn't open the link so I was just referring to the OP's issue (dvi to hdmi) 

But! You may be lucky anyway, I'm pretty sure if it gives you anything it'll be Single Link with no audio, but single link can do 2560x1440, just not at 60Hz, so if you don't need it for gaming or anything and don't need audio from it you may be good to run it at 30Hz 2560x1440. 

22 minutes ago, o0Martin said:

Yeah my bad, I didn't open the link so I was just referring to the OP's issue (dvi to hdmi) 

But! You may be lucky anyway, I'm pretty sure if it gives you anything it'll be Single Link with no audio, but single link can do 2560x1440, just not at 60Hz, so if you don't need it for gaming or anything and don't need audio from it you may be good to run it at 30Hz 2560x1440. 

30Hz makes me puke, but I do have a 580 that I would like to hook up to my 1080p ultrawide. 

Anyway 

given this doesn't work (and it probably won't) think this will work?

HDMI 2.0                       >

HDMI 2.0                       >     HDMI 4k matrix > this adapter > DP to DL-DVI adapter

DP to HDMI 4k Adpater > 

It's a little crazy....buut that hdmi> dp adapter supports 4k at 30Hz and 1920x1080 @ 120Hz, so it should have enough bandwidth for 2560x1440 @60Hz

muh specs 

All parts black

When using passive adapters, you are not "converting" DVI signals into HDMI signals. Passive adapters work because the video ports on graphics cards have the ability to output multiple types of signals. For example a DisplayPort port doesn't have to send DisplayPort signals. It can also send HDMI signals or DVI signals instead of DisplayPort signals (not "converting" DisplayPort signals into DVI/HDMI signals). The only problem of course is that the DisplayPort port can't physically morph itself into an HDMI port to allow you plug in HDMI cables, so this is why the adapter is needed, it is merely changing the shape of the port to allow you to plug things in, it doesn't do any kind of conversion.

Likewise, DVI ports on graphics cards will send HDMI signals instead of DVI signals if it detects being plugged into an HDMI display. The DVI to HDMI adapter simply changes the shape of the port, it does not "convert" DVI signals into HDMI signals. So the question of what DVI supports is actually irrelevant, since there are no DVI signals involved here. The port is sending HDMI signals out to an HDMI display, so the question is really whether HDMI supports 1440p 60 Hz, and the answer is... yes, but it's finicky and may require a custom resolution.

On the topic of adapting Dual-Link DVI to HDMI, you are correct this is physically impossible. Even though you will find plenty of "Dual-Link DVI to HDMI" adapters for sale, all of them are fake, they are just Single-Link DVI to HDMI adapters in disguise. The extra Dual-Link pins are simply dummies and are not connected to anything. HDMI only has 19 pins, the same as Single-Link DVI, there are no more spots for those extra DL-DVI pins to connect to on the HDMI side of the adapter.

So how can we get 1440p 60 Hz over these adapters if DVI requires a Dual-Link connection to support that, and these adapters are only Single-Link? Well again, what DVI does or doesn't support is irrelevant, because we are not using DVI. We are using HDMI, it's just that the HDMI signal is being routed through the DVI port, we are not "converting" a DVI signal into an HDMI signal, and so the limits of a Single-Link DVI connection don't come in to play. HDMI does support 1440p 60 Hz with only 19 pins, so everything is good here. Using a DVI to HDMI adapter is exactly the same as using a native HDMI port, including support for inline audio, 4K 60 Hz (if the card supports HDMI 2.0), etc.

Just remember this doesn't apply in reverse. If you flip that adapter around (plug in a graphics card's HDMI port to a DVI display), the graphics card will detect that and start sending Single-Link DVI-D signals instead of HDMI signals (HDMI ports don't have enough pins to be used Dual-Link DVI ports, like I said), and so you'll be limited to 1920×1200 at 60 Hz with no audio and no VGA adapter compatibility, just like any other Single-Link DVI-D port.

9 hours ago, Glenwing said:

When using passive adapters, you are not "converting" DVI signals into HDMI signals. Passive adapters work because the video ports on graphics cards have the ability to output multiple types of signals. For example a DisplayPort port doesn't have to send DisplayPort signals. It can also send HDMI signals or DVI signals instead of DisplayPort signals (not "converting" DisplayPort signals into DVI/HDMI signals). The only problem of course is that the DisplayPort port can't physically morph itself into an HDMI port to allow you plug in HDMI cables, so this is why the adapter is needed, it is merely changing the shape of the port to allow you to plug things in, it doesn't do any kind of conversion.

Likewise, DVI ports on graphics cards will send HDMI signals instead of DVI signals if it detects being plugged into an HDMI display. The DVI to HDMI adapter simply changes the shape of the port, it does not "convert" DVI signals into HDMI signals. So the question of what DVI supports is actually irrelevant, since there are no DVI signals involved here. The port is sending HDMI signals out to an HDMI display, so the question is really whether HDMI supports 1440p 60 Hz, and the answer is... yes, but it's finicky and may require a custom resolution.

On the topic of adapting Dual-Link DVI to HDMI, you are correct this is physically impossible. Even though you will find plenty of "Dual-Link DVI to HDMI" adapters for sale, all of them are fake, they are just Single-Link DVI to HDMI adapters in disguise. The extra Dual-Link pins are simply dummies and are not connected to anything. HDMI only has 19 pins, the same as Single-Link DVI, there are no more spots for those extra DL-DVI pins to connect to on the HDMI side of the adapter.

So how can we get 1440p 60 Hz over these adapters if DVI requires a Dual-Link connection to support that, and these adapters are only Single-Link? Well again, what DVI does or doesn't support is irrelevant, because we are not using DVI. We are using HDMI, it's just that the HDMI signal is being routed through the DVI port, we are not "converting" a DVI signal into an HDMI signal, and so the limits of a Single-Link DVI connection don't come in to play. HDMI does support 1440p 60 Hz with only 19 pins, so everything is good here. Using a DVI to HDMI adapter is exactly the same as using a native HDMI port, including support for inline audio, 4K 60 Hz (if the card supports HDMI 2.0), etc.

Just remember this doesn't apply in reverse. If you flip that adapter around (plug in a graphics card's HDMI port to a DVI display), the graphics card will detect that and start sending Single-Link DVI-D signals instead of HDMI signals (HDMI ports don't have enough pins to be used Dual-Link DVI ports, like I said), and so you'll be limited to 1920×1200 at 60 Hz with no audio and no VGA adapter compatibility, just like any other Single-Link DVI-D port.

kinda what I thought, given with older drivers and a dp>hdmi adapter NVIDIA would treat it like HDMI and not output the full color space (still doesn't by default), though I was wondering if you thought that daisy chain of active adapters I mentioned above would work? 

muh specs 

All parts black

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

kinda what I thought, given with older drivers and a dp>hdmi adapter NVIDIA would treat it like HDMI and not output the full color space (still doesn't by default), though I was wondering if you thought that daisy chain of active adapters I mentioned above would work? 

tbh I couldn't understand what you meant lol

8 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

tbh I couldn't understand what you meant lol

the target screen has 1 DLDVI port, and I want to hook up multiple PCs via a matrix. DP and DLDVI switches do exist, but in the form of really expensive and kinda crappy KVMs. 

Throwing everything into an HDMI matrix and then converting HDMI 2.0 to DP 

https://www.amazon.com/gofanco®-HDMI-DisplayPort-Converter-Power/dp/B01BXMOREI?&tag=linus21-20

this adapter supports 4k @ 30Hz

then that back to DL-DVI using an active DP>DL-DVI adapter (have a few of those) into the screen. 

The matrix would have 3 devices in it - 2 that are already HDMI and the laptop dock would need to go from DP, hence this batshit crazy chart

10 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Anyway 

given this doesn't work (and it probably won't) think this will work?

HDMI 2.0                       >

HDMI 2.0                       >     HDMI 4k matrix > this adapter > DP to DL-DVI adapter

DP to HDMI 4k Adpater > 

The left 1440p screen has HDMI, and I have only that one set up on all 3 machines. 

muh specs 

All parts black

So you want to do 3 devices (2 with HDMI 2.0 and 1 with DP but using DP to HDMI) those 3 outputs going to a switch which will allow you to switch between multiple inputs to display on the monitor, but before it gets to the monitor you want to use a powered HDMI to DP adapter, then DP to DL-DVI?

Unless I'm missing something, at best wont you just have the same issue of DP to DL-DVI? Which is you'll get no audio and a Single Link DVI-D connection.

35 minutes ago, o0Martin said:

So you want to do 3 devices (2 with HDMI 2.0 and 1 with DP but using DP to HDMI) those 3 outputs going to a switch which will allow you to switch between multiple inputs to display on the monitor, but before it gets to the monitor you want to use a powered HDMI to DP adapter, then DP to DL-DVI?

Unless I'm missing something, at best wont you just have the same issue of DP to DL-DVI? Which is you'll get no audio and a Single Link DVI-D connection.

Audio does not matter and no, they make active adapters, I have a few 

IMG_0736__35647.1412265124.1280.1280.JPG

muh specs 

All parts black

@o0Martin @Glenwing @LordKage @theanimun

I got the DL-DVI to HDMI cable from above today. As thought, it doesn't work from HDMI to DL-DVI, in fact, it makes my PC freeze if I try, though it does show up as DL-DLV in the display panel oddly. 

It does work the other way, I hooked up my 2560x1080 ultrawide to my 1080's DVI port, it's detected as HDMI. Still want to kill ASUS for making a top tier GPU and removing a displayport because apparently people that spend 700$ on a gpu can't afford an adapter, and the VIVE blah blah, but hey nice it works for this in the very least. 

muh specs 

All parts black

• 10 months later...

DVI and HDMI are backwards compatible. All you need is a DVI to HDMI cable. I have used KVMSwitchTech's converter and cable products for customer applications and they work well.